Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tommy answers the boo birds (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2161)

BlitzburghRockCity 10-16-2005 11:55 PM

Tommy answers the boo birds

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_384864.html

Steelers fans let quarterback Tommy Maddox have it during Sunday's 23-17 loss to Jacksonville at Heinz Field.

The Steelers' fill-in starter for Ben Roethlisberger answered back afterward.

"I was disappointed in that," Maddox said of getting booed at home. "I'd be lying if I said no. I think that, sometimes, it's to be expected. When you have a track record in a city like I do here, I was disappointed."

Maddox has been with the Steelers since the 2001 season, compiling a 15-14-1 record as a starter prior to Sunday's setback.

Maddox came in against Jacksonville, having completed 59 percent of his passes with the Steelers (569 of 965), for 6,733 yards, with 40 touchdown passes and 36 interceptions.

Yesterday, he was 11 of 28 for 154 yards with one touchdown, three interceptions and a passer rating of 30.1 against the Jaguars.

Maddox also lost a fumble at the Jacksonville 27-yard line in overtime.

His third interception was returned 41 yards by Rashean Mathis for the game-winning touchdown.

The start was Maddox's first since the 2004 regular-season finale at Buffalo.

The boos started early, after Maddox one-hopped a slant to wide receiver Cedrick Wilson on the Steelers' third possession.

Maddox noticed.

"Everybody always says they don't hear it, but if they say that, they're lying," Maddox said. "You feel it; you feel the energy in the stadium. It's the exact same as if things are going good and the fans are going crazy. You feed off that as well."

Maddox maintained yesterday's expressions of disapproval were misdirected on at least a couple of occasions.

"I got booed twice for throwing the ball away," he said. "I just thought I was making a pretty smart play, I threw it away on a screen (when) they held (tight end) Heath (Miller), and I threw it away when I was about to get sacked.

"It gets to a point where it's almost kind of comical a little bit, because you're making right plays and getting booed. If you throw an interception and get booed, you can deal with that. But it didn't have any effect on the game, and it won't have any effect on how I play the next time I get out there."

BlitzburghRockCity 10-16-2005 11:56 PM

Re: Tommy answers the boo birds

Well what the hell did u expect !! 3 int's, a fumble, taking sacks, not seeing the field... If I was Tommy I'd have been surprised if they didnt boo me, not that they did !

Koopa 10-16-2005 11:56 PM

damn i loved those boo birds i wish they got louder, and i hope they come out again the next time he walks out the tunnel, worthless turd

Prosdo 10-17-2005 12:05 AM

I'm very curious what smart plays he was making? I watched the entire game and I didn't see many. I saw 3 interceptions and about another 3 or 4 almost. I saw a fumble. Balls being underthrown. Balls being thrown to a receiver that has 2,3, and at one point 4 guys around him. I would have respected him more if he would have owned up to it. You weren't making smart calls and you definitely weren't seeing the field well.

BB2W 10-17-2005 12:08 AM

What an idiot... he calls getting booed comical. In the press-conference he goes on to blame the wind...

BlitzburghRockCity 10-17-2005 12:14 AM

You've got to be a REAL optimist to find the positives in this game and think that they should bear worth noting in the conversation. There were far more negative plays for Tommy than positives in this one.

ironcitychef 10-17-2005 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
But it didn't have any effect on the game, and it won't have any effect on how I play the next time I get out there."

I smell BS Tommy, you will still have those in your head.

Ambridge 10-17-2005 06:23 AM

I was at the game and the Boos and Jeers were coming after Tommy's first INT and needless to say the boos and profanities directed towards Maddox after the game was very loud and resounding.

Hey Tommy!! How about some accountability?? You stunk-up the field, you cost the Steelers the game plain and simple and you just need to admit it. :upyours:

SteelrsRck 10-17-2005 07:40 AM

Isnt it funny how the Same people on these boards were the same ones rooting for tommy to be in the game before and now are knocking him for playing in it

Do not get me wrong it was an awfull display that he put on he was nervous and has not played in awhile doesnt mean he lost his mojo

i really do not think batch would have done any better who has less exp playing for the steelers than maddox does

So you really have to go with what we have and that was maddox who blew the game for us and ward was not in the game to make the acrobactic catches that he always does cause more than half of his throws were behind over or low to our recievers

But what is done is done time to concentrate on the cincy game will be our first divisional game and thats where we need to make a stand

Steel - X 10-17-2005 08:00 AM

I agree with steelrsRck to a point here.

Lets get over Tommy and his wounded gun, he is an over paid back up QB that thinks he should be out there starting. Obviously he proved that hs should not be the starter with that terrible performance he showed on Sunday. To me he looked lost most of the game.

For me I am blaming this loss mainly on the coaching staff and the Running game.

1. They should have been pounding the ball more against a JAXville team that gives up on average 130+ yards a game.

2. Was Bettis injured? Why the hell did he only get 4 carries?

3. If Bettis was injured why dont we get Veron in the game to power the ball in the middle?

4. A QB that has not seen the field should not be throwing 28 times a game.

5. We get the ball down inside the 40 on Morgans return and then bring in Willie to run sweeps? Get the big men in there and run it up the middle like we always have.

We are a running team that opens up the pass. To me this game was bad coaching and thats why we lost. Or maybe it was a Vegas game....