Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Max Starks (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21858)

SCSTILLER 12-03-2007 01:51 PM

Max Starks

Ok, I know the game was against the Bungles, but I was really impressed with Max Starks play at left tackle. There was not much pressure on Ben from the left side and Starks also seemed to be quicker in his motions than Smith is when he is in there. I know that he was hot and cold at right tackle, but hear me out on this (and let the sarcasm begin :wink02:). Next year, move Smtih to right tackle, Starks to left tackle, Willie Colon to left gaurd. This is all depending on Faneca leaving, which all indications are pointing to yes unfortunately. This would put our o-line from left to right as: Starks, Colon, Mahan, Simmons, Smith. I don't know, if Max's play continues the way it was yesterday (I know, he is streaky) it could benefit us since Marvel was originally a rt tackle and I beleive that Colon played gaurd in college. What do you all think? Come on, hit me!

Preacher 12-03-2007 02:03 PM

Re: Max Starks

Then we take two players in the draft on the first day...

If it works, that would be great. However, I would like to see the line up in one or two throw a way games at the end of this year first.

OneForTheToe 12-03-2007 02:09 PM

I agree Max played pretty well. however, I am not willing to conceed that he should start until I see how he plays against a fast DE on a fast surface.

19ward86 12-03-2007 02:11 PM

i still dont know why he doesnt start over colon, what did he do besides help will gain around 1750 rushing yards in 2 seasons and win a super bowl. he is really good and i can see him playing LG for us next year, he is so big and strong he could take on casey hampton and not lose......badly, like everyone else.

BlastFurnace 12-03-2007 02:13 PM

Give Max credit. He held Jason Taylor and Smith of the Bengals at bay. Taylor was neutralized by a terrible field...and maybe Smith was neutralized by a wet field as well. Either way, this was a couple of solid outings for Max.

Being that both games were nationally televised, it will probably get Max some much needed publicity before his Free Agency campaign begins after the season ends.

Teams know he was a former starter...and they know now that he can play both Right and Left tackle. Max might have just made himself alot of money next season from the two previous games. I'm not sure what the Steelers will do here, but I'm not convinced that Max is going to be worth what some crazy team out there will offer him...even based upon 2 games.

He will probably get the start next week in place of Smith as well. I don't know how Max will do against Seymour, but that would further his meal ticket for next season if he does well. Not to mention, I am not sure I want a rusty Smith in that game anyway.

ShutDown24 12-03-2007 02:15 PM

Max played great but two games don't make up for horrible play in the past...

I like you're solution but I like what I have been saying a bit more... When Faneca leaves put Starks inside at left guard, leave everything else as is and draft some versatile o-linemen in the first second and yes maybe even third rounds... Then you make open competition at every position for every player (Except possibly Simmons at right guard) and see what happens

SCSTILLER 12-03-2007 02:19 PM

I forgot about him being a free agent next year, that could definitely change things. Maybe he is on top of his game to get a meal ticket next year, but just maybe him losing his starting position has lit a fire under his arse!

Counselor 12-03-2007 02:40 PM

Question for you all---was Max's college position left tackle? I swear I heard that somewhere.

Max said in an interview last week that he is left-handed. I would imagine (as a lefty myself) that it would be naturally easier for a lefty to block on the left side of the line. Certainly your reaction to & strength against end rushes would be better.
Maybe left tackle is his more natual position. Just a thought.

He and the rest of the line did a good job last night. kudos---now keep it up!

HometownGal 12-03-2007 02:42 PM

Max did play very well in the games against the Dolfs and Bungles, but I'm with the others here who would like to see his performance against a quick DE on a normal field before I commit to wanting the Steelers to re-sign him.

Rhee Rhee 12-03-2007 03:36 PM

i want to see him suceed agains richard seymour... if he does that and contains the OLB's for the pats at least somewhat.. im sold on him being a LT for years