Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Closing Out Games - Need To Adjust (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21861)

GeneralRobinson 12-03-2007 03:07 PM

Closing Out Games - Need To Adjust

And by adjust I do not mean in the non-athletic supporter kind of way (hee hee).

Anyway, Steelers have a history in recent games of failing to sustain drives late in the contest:

Cleveland - Unable to get a first down that would have ended the game.

Jets - Unable to mount any drives in the fourth quarter to add to a three point lead.

Cincinnati - Failing to add on to a 14 point lead after a third quarter touchdown.

It's a team effort in offensive play execution. That said, the playcalling tends to get extremely conservative in the fourth quarter after we get a lead. The result is a low percentage third and long which we are unable to convert.

We need solutions, dammit. :smile:

Why is out run blocking unable to open holes?
Is the conservative playcalling throwing the rhythm off?
What pass plays would you call as a high percentage 1st down 5-6 yard gainer?
Why do you think we get so conservative in the 4th quarter?

Anyway, I'm throwing it out to the well-informed to solve this problem before it potentially costs us against NE, Jax, or any other playoff team. Thanks.

slippy 12-03-2007 04:02 PM

Re: Closing Out Games - Need To Adjust

well, they tried to add to the lead last night and ben threw a terrible pick and parker fumbled 4 times.

The_WARDen 12-03-2007 04:10 PM

you have a RB who can't seal the deal right now for whatever reason. Until that gets fixed, good playoff teams are gonna beat us.

eafratitpm3 12-03-2007 04:20 PM

I didn't know that the FWP meant "Fumbling Willie Parker". I think he needs to get rid of those sleeves he wears. Especially when it's raining out.

slippy 12-03-2007 04:32 PM

he was doing a great job of not fumbling this year, until last night. let's hope it's out of his system.

besides O-line, we really need a second back for next year.

Ricco Suavez 12-03-2007 05:01 PM

I agree with one thing and that is we are most conservative in our playcallin when we have a lead in the 4th quarter. In the past this was a great concept in that we could grind out yards with a superior line and brusin rbs. Now we just don't get the push or have the type of backs to make yds out of nothin. I am not saying to disregard the run just don't fall into that trap of run 1st down 1-2yds run 2nd down1-2 yds then have Ben try to bail us out of 3rd and 7 with a defense loaded up for the pass. Mix up short passes 1st and 2nd down, throw screens, the quick slant, pass to set up runs. Just my two cents worth. I hope Arians has something up his sleeve this weekend, we cannot expect our defense to win this game, it will take both offense and defense to beat the Panties.

Sharkissle29 12-03-2007 05:41 PM

the run run pass offense in the 4th quarter never helps......

SteelCityMan786 12-03-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St33lers (Post 332967)
the run run pass offense in the 4th quarter never helps......

Yeah, play to win from kickoff till the end of the game.

GBMelBlount 12-03-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 (Post 332923)
I didn't know that the FWP meant "Fumbling Willie Parker". I think he needs to get rid of those sleeves he wears. Especially when it's raining out.

If they made him carry the ball for a week like the "plan" was carried in Papillon, I think his fumbles would drop considerably.

stlrtruck 12-04-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 (Post 332923)

How many times did he fumble in the dolphins game? Give the kid a break, and although he should lose the pads - he's got to do as he sees fit, I just wish he would finally break a few big ones, especially this week.