Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Running game in Dec/Jan is VITAL (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21911)

OptionCoach 12-04-2007 08:26 PM

Running game in Dec/Jan is VITAL

I have been telling all the Pats fans that I can that they should be very worried come Dec/Jan if they cannot establish a running threat.

All the while, these clowns have laughed and stated that they did not need a running game when the can pass, ala the west coast scheme.

This being said, I stand by my statement: If you cannot establish the running game in Dec/Jan, you stand a great chance of taking a fall. Winter conditions play havoc on pass first teams. Always have, always will.

Condisidering that the SB will have to go through NE (an outdoor stadium), I believe my statement holds even more merit. If the Pats cant run, they WILL NOT win the SB.

Since the loss of Dillon, the Pats have become a highly successful pass first offense. Unfortunately, this is going to also be their downfall.

Some on this board have mocked our attemps to run in obvious run situations. Be very happy that we are doing that. Teams that keep plowing ahead with the run will be the teams that go very far in the playoffs.

It is a given that we will try to establish the run. It is also a given that the Pats will not. I like our chances, now and in January. :tt02:

jjpro11 12-04-2007 08:30 PM

Re: Running game in Dec/Jan is VITAL

its gotta suck knowing that your home field advantage will probably end up being a disadvantage.

Stlrs4Life 12-04-2007 08:34 PM

I totally agree with ya optioncoach. Very good reasoning. Teams that can run the ball will do better. But if you look at our SB run in 2005, we passed to set up the run.

19ward86 12-04-2007 08:44 PM

we need to get the power back into our running game. parker was doing great with power at the beginning of the season but now is playing like he is tired. not trying to talk down on parker i just think we need to give him the ball in space instead of up the gut.

OptionCoach 12-04-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life (Post 333958)
I totally agree with ya optioncoach. Very good reasoning. Teams that can run the ball will do better. But if you look at our SB run in 2005, we passed to set up the run.

But the difference there is that WE COULD RUN before doing that!!

NE cannot run the football effectively. They rely on getting ahead in games. Mark my words: THIS WILL NOT WORK.

Galax Steeler 12-05-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19ward86 (Post 333968)
we need to get the power back into our running game. parker was doing great with power at the beginning of the season but now is playing like he is tired. not trying to talk down on parker i just think we need to give him the ball in space instead of up the gut.

I hope that we can start opening up holes for parker to run last year kreider was a big part of the running game and this year it just don't seem like we have the holes willie had last year to run in.

geo123 12-05-2007 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OptionCoach (Post 334028)
But the difference there is that WE COULD RUN before doing that!!

NE cannot run the football effectively. They rely on getting ahead in games. Mark my words: THIS WILL NOT WORK.

Just because they don't run the ball doesn't mean they can't. Don't take anything for granted. The Pats always seem to make the adjustments necessary to improve their game. Like I said in another post they'll use everybody and any body. First it was Wes Welker, Monday it was Gaffney(?).
They seemed to have success with the screen pass to Mulroney; he got good yards after the catch.

vasteeler 12-05-2007 11:52 AM

problem is unfortunelty we can not run the ball either