Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tyrone Carter (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21915)

steelpride12 12-04-2007 09:26 PM

Tyrone Carter

Ok so alot of people say Carter is all ****y and is not that great, but i feel he is an excellent backup and brings a different style of SS than Troy does.
Carter has played solid his last two games not giving up big plays, but only making great plays for the team and i think keeping this guy around for awhile as a back-up to Troy is a great idea.
Lets hear your opinions!?

slippy 12-04-2007 10:24 PM

Re: Tyrone Carter

love TC as a back up and occasional starter.

keep him!!!

love ryan clark too; hope he can return to form next year.

Haiku_Dirtt 12-05-2007 03:00 AM

The problem with Carter for me is that every time he makes a big league play I'm constantly looking over my shoulder for the yellow flag. And we're not talking about the 5 yard variety.

He plays hard and aggressive. I thought he did very well against the Bengals. But his tendancies are volatile and after the play the adolescent behavior is subject to the 15 yard variety - a time waiting to happen.

This is not new. But what is new is a guy like Tomlin (read how you will) who called out a few players earlier in the season for being "young and dumb." A guy like Tomlin doesn't have to be shy to call out a guy like Ike for being "young and dumb" when he did something young and dumb. Call it like you see it. And consequently I've noticed a more mature Ike Taylor playing football.

I'm guessing Tomlin sees what many see in Carter. Because that awesome play in the fourth quarter followed by an unsportsmanlike penalty which nets a first-and-goal for our opponent is where the train wreck can bring down a season.

19ward86 12-05-2007 09:20 AM

i think he improves our pass D. for years the steelers DBs were considered the weakness of our D but this year it is different. only 154 passing yards per game allowed this year, that is amazing. at some points i like him more than polamalu, i hate to say it but it is true. his first game out he had 11 or 12 tackles. when in rescent memory has polamalu had 10 or more tackles in a game?

Mosca 12-05-2007 09:58 AM

IMO he is really close to totally replacing Polamalu. He doesn't have the insane quickness that Troy does, but he is less likely to make a big mistake on a guess; he is a more strategically sound player. This guy could start for anyone and in a few years be considered one of the best, right up there with Polamalu, Reed, etc.

As far as the 15 yarders, that has been a problem for Polamalu his whole career. I call that one a wash.

Bottom line, while I would still take Polamalu over Carter, it isn't by a lot. I don't think we give up much at all. And a healthy Carter is better than a hurt Polamalu; Troy needs that quickness as part of his overall package. It's what makes him as good as he is.

alittlejazzbird 12-05-2007 10:11 AM

I think Ty has done a fine job in his back-up role. Troy, for all his monster skills as a safety, has been caught out of position and over-pursuing this season, and I can't say the same about Ty. I'll be happy to see Troy back in the line-up, but it's nice to know there's some real depth behind him.

Dino 6 Rings 12-05-2007 12:15 PM

Carter is NOT used in the same capacity as Troy P because he lacks the ability to be used that way. He is a great Safety, in the traditional sense of the position. He can be a great downfield cover guy, play over the top on a double team and keeps an eye in the backfield for running/passing plays.

He is not however "unleashed" the way Troy is specificially because he lacks Troy's talent. For ever time Troy is "burnt" or "out of position" he makes 10 plays where he breaks up a pass, knocks a reciever off his route, makes a tackle in the back field on a running play or knocks the socks off some idiot who made the mistake of coming across the middle. There is no comparision, if you want a Safety who is the old time traditional safety, Carter is efficient. If you want the modern day, play making, aggressive, game plan against my guy Safety...Troy is the Man.

Infamix 12-05-2007 12:20 PM

If the Steelers are going to keep Troy running around like a maniac, I prefer having Carter back there. Great re-signing by the way

Mosca 12-05-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings (Post 334180)
For ever time Troy is "burnt" or "out of position" he makes 10 plays where he breaks up a pass, knocks a reciever off his route, makes a tackle in the back field on a running play or knocks the socks off some idiot who made the mistake of coming across the middle.

Well, I'd say that for every 10 times Troy is burnt, he makes a spectacular play. The difference is that when he gets burnt we give up yards or someone else makes the stop, but when he makes a spectacular play it's a game changer.

Which is why I say that a healthy Carter is better than an injured Polamalu; without the speed and quickness, he can't be a game-changing force.

Godfather 12-05-2007 12:42 PM

With all the good safeties on the roster (Troy, Ryan Clark, Tyrone Carter, Anthony Smith) we should start running the nickel as our base defense. Most of our safeties can move up front and function as linebackers when needed.Plus that'll keep the aging linebacker corps fresh throughout the season.