Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NCAA Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Good Luck Ohio State Buckeyes! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=22770)

Jeremy 01-05-2008 08:50 AM

Good Luck Ohio State Buckeyes!

In case I don't mention it before Monday, good luck to the Buckeyes of Ohio State. The last thing I want to see is Les Miles rewarded for the classless way he got his team in to the Championship game. Maybe the Buckeyes can show the country that Illinois was a fluke and they really are the best team in the country.

revefsreleets 01-06-2008 06:02 PM

Re: Good Luck Ohio State Buckeyes!

As we approach the game, I've thought more and more about it. Tress seems to have his team literally laser honed sharp. They are business-like, ignoring all the distractions of NO and totally focused on the game. People forget that with the exception of last years NC game, Tress is a multiple NC championship winning coach. NOBODY is better at preparing a football team for big games. Look at OSU's bowl record before Jim Tressel arrived and look at it after. Look at the recent OSU vs. UM games.

Both are great teams, and very talented. I actually expect OSU to come out and take the game over early and never look back. They are physical enough to deal with LSU physicality, and they are fast enough to deal with that speed. It will comes down to scheme and execution, and I'll take Tress over Les in that battle any day.

Rhee Rhee 01-06-2008 06:29 PM

they're gonna need all the luck they can get..

revefsreleets 01-06-2008 06:46 PM

Why? OSU matches up in every facet of the game at least as well as LSU, and they are better defensively. LSU's advantage is pretty much all on paper at this point, and I don't buy it.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan 01-06-2008 07:55 PM

The biggest hurdle that OSU will have to climb will be the hornet's nest of the Louisiana Superdome. This is a home game for LSU and the LSU fans are by far the rowdiest fans in the country. Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge is bad enough but the Superdome will be like 'Tiger Stadium with a roof' which will make it much more hostile. I don't think the OSU fans and players know what they're getting themselves into Monday night.

Being an Alabama fan, I've grown up with SEC football and with LSU fans. Sugar Bowls at the Superdome always give the SEC teams an advantage there - especially when LSU is in the game. My senior year in high school, I went to the 1993 Sugar Bowl between Alabama and Miami for the national title where UM was a 14 point favorite. The Dome was 85% Alabama fans and that created all types of intimidation for the 'mighty' Hurricanes that night. Alabama, a two touchdown underdog, whipped UM and Heisman Trophy winner, Gino Torretta, 34-13.

If this game were being played in a neutral venue, I'd probably pick OSU to win the game, but not in New Orleans. The pro-LSU crowd cannot be underestimated in this game in New Orleans.

But ya'll are correct in your analysis of Tressel v. Miles. Tressel comes across as being a more competent coach without a doubt. And I'm sure that OSU will want to make up for their terrible performance against Florida last season out in Glendale.

revefsreleets 01-06-2008 09:00 PM

This, again, is all paper analysis. Trust me, the "advantage" of LSU being at home will not be nearly as large as it's being touted. Tomorrow the Bucks prove their travel power, and i expect the crowd to be about equal. It's sacrilege to suggest so to the SEC crowd, who somehow think that God invented SEC football and broke the mold, but OSU's program is bigger, wider spread, and travels better than anybody else. This is not an idle boast. In less than 24 hours the whole world will see what I'm talking about.

I say Good Luck Tigers. THEY are going to need as much good luck as they can get.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan 01-06-2008 09:27 PM

If this game were in Pasadena, Glendale, Miami, or any other locale, I'd agree with you about the OSU fans. Only the Alabama and Tennessee fanbases (and Florida to some extent) can compete with the OSU fans in traveling. But, because this game is one hour from Red Stick, LSU will have the majority of the fans inside the Dome tomorrow night.

revefsreleets 01-07-2008 09:15 AM

I expect LSU will have an edge, but it will be no more than probably 60/40. It won't be a big factor in the outcome of the game.

Jeremy 01-07-2008 10:28 AM

Here's what it's going to come down to:

Can Ohio State grind down LSU or will LSU be able to run all over OSU?

I really think this game is going to be a blow out one way or the other.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan 01-07-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 353606)
I expect LSU will have an edge, but it will be no more than probably 60/40. It won't be a big factor in the outcome of the game.

60/40 is about what I think it will be. I still think that LSU has a home field advantage in this game because of where the game is being played. LSU plays really well in the Dome and have already played a game there this season.

One of the OSU players was asked what it was like when the Bucks got off their jet at the New Orleans airport and walked through the terminal full of LSU fans and he responded by saying that it reminded him of when Rocky walked into the arena in Moscow before his fight with Drago. Maybe the OSU players can use this to their advantage somehow.

It's a tough game to handicapp, but turnovers will likely come into play, as well as big plays. Both teams have a lot to prove. LSU wants to prove that with two losses they belong in this game and OSU wants to make amends for the fiasco in Glendale from last season's title game.