Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Duce? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2303)

Prosdo 10-24-2005 09:47 AM

Duce?

I haven't heard much news on Duce in a while. I think he dressed for the game against the Patriots, but I could be wrong. He was inactive again for this week. Will we be seeing Duce any time soon or are they holding on to him for when we are into the season more?

BurghThing 10-24-2005 11:20 AM

Re: Duce?

Duce still isn't 100% and we really have no need for 5 active running backs on gameday. If, and its a big IF, everyone else stays healthy you may not see him dress again this year.

BB2W 10-24-2005 11:35 AM

This is not looking good... Duce may br a cap casualty after this year, or they will ask him to take a pay cut and be the "big" back with Bettis gone. With it being Verron's last year of his contract. It will be interesting to see what our backfield looks like next year.

Grey 10-24-2005 11:43 AM

Good point on the future of the Steeler's backfield. I think it's obvious that Duce can be our power back if he can only stay healthy for a season.

I think it's also obvious that Willie Parker does not fit into the Steelers system without the counter-puch of a big man like the BUS. What we have right now is great, but I believe this will be Jerome's last year once he finishes his career playing his last game in his hometown of Detroit. :smile:

I wonder if Noah Herron can fill the big back role.

Here we go.
Grey

Koopa 10-24-2005 12:09 PM

i think we might need to take a big back in the third or fourth round this coming draft, cause duce is good but will probably never play a full season in his career. but now that miller is getting into the action it'll open things up more and willie can be more successful in this system

rowedf 10-24-2005 12:55 PM

I disagree with the Willy comment about it being obvious he cant be a feature back. He's had 2 good games (without bettis). His stats weren't awful for the games he struggled:

09/25 NE 17 carries 55 yards
10/10 @SD 10 carries 26 yards
10/16 JAC 21 carries 55 yards

You have to take into consideration that the O line played very very poorly in the NE game and the JAC game. Then 17 carries and 10 carries aren't even "feature back" numbers......

I do like the one-two punch of a big back and a fast back. But, I also think Willy can be the feature back. This is his first year with the opportunity and he's doing well (IMO). Give him a full year under his belt, a full off season to be mentally and physically prepared to be "the man" and I think he'll do fine. I'd love to see him add a few lbs to his frame for next season, so when the season starts, he looses that 10-12 lbs of running weight and is right at 210-215.

Grey 10-24-2005 01:32 PM

rowedf:

I see what you are saying, and maybe he can be a feature back and maintain a consistent level. I'm just saying that his style of running is not what we are built on. We have a power running game. I don't think that he will ever push the pile like a Steven Jackson kind of guy.

Either way, I'd like to see him put on some weight. Don't get me wrong. I love the skills that Parker has, and it's an awful lot of fun to see him find a seem and accelerate.

Here we go.
Grey

rowedf 10-24-2005 01:37 PM

Grey:

I've never understood the scheme running though......I know the Steelers are considered a "power running" team, but isnt that 95% based on the back? Even with Bettis in his prime, they still ran frequently off the tackles or even outside them. I mean the line doesn't change their scheme based on Willy or Bettis.....I think that phrase of being a "power running" team comes from who the back is, not really the "scheme" of the running game.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE 10-24-2005 01:44 PM

we need to pick up a back in the draft this year in the early rounds.
Haynes really hasnt done a whole lot to impress and Staley is injury prone and aging.
I doubt Bettis will be back next year, so we need a big back from the draft, or possibly picking on up in free agency
Pittsburgh will not have the same running game once Bettis is gone, and we all know that the steelers are based upon the run..

Grey 10-24-2005 01:51 PM

rowedf:

I don't know, I think that a power running team rolls with 2 tight ends and a fullback pretty often, and even though the holes aren't big, the power back still moves the pile and usually gains a few yards, but the non-power running team (can't think of a term) spreads the offense with wide outs and no fullback to force the defense out of the box and make a bit more room at the line of scrimmage for the smaller, quicker back.

Just my thoughts.

Here we go.
Grey