Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2307)

Atlanta Dan 10-24-2005 02:25 PM

Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
It fortunately was not significant after the great second half, but the 2 personal fouls on Hope & Taylor, together with the taunting call on Hines Ward, in the first half advanced 2 Cincy drives that resulted in points and blunted a Steeler drive. When combined with the personal foul calls on Polamalou and Hope in the 2 previous games, a definite pattern of over the edge play has emerged that is going to cost a game at some point if it is not cleaned up.

I was especially surprised that a team leader such as Hines Ward engaged in virtually every activity short of throwing the ball at the ref that might be attempted to get a taunting call. You can be a vocal leader without costing your team a penalty (see - e.g. - James Farrior & Jerome Bettis).

Based on the toned down second half conduct I assume Cowher emphasized that point at halftime.

Iron City Hangover 10-24-2005 02:30 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
It fortunately was not significant after the great second half, but the 2 personal fouls on Hope & Taylor, together with the taunting call on Hines Ward, in the first half advanced 2 Cincy drives that resulted in points and blunted a Steeler drive. When combined with the personal foul calls on Polamalou and Hope in the 2 previous games, a definite pattern of over the edge play has emerged that is going to cost a game at some point if it is not cleaned up.

I was especially surprised that a team leader such as Hines Ward engaged in virtually every activity short of throwing the ball at the ref that might be attempted to get a taunting call. You can be a vocal leader without costing your team a penalty (see - e.g. - James Farrior & Jerome Bettis).

Based on the toned down second half conduct I assume Cowher emphasized that point at halftime.

You have to be a class act like Farrior or Bettis to be able to do so. Ward and Troy can't keep their emotions in check.

What is surprising is this used to be a problem for Bettis in college at ND. The guy would get a TD followed by consecutive personal fouls for running his mouth afterwards.

He's matured into a model athlete. Ward needs to do the same.

TasmanianTroy271 10-24-2005 02:57 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
Oh yea, cause Ward gets so many personal fouls called on him. :rolleyes: It was an intense game. Even Bettis was pumped. We've already agreed that the Taylor call was trash, and for the Hope penalty, he was running the WR out of bounds, when Harrison slammed into both of them and they both stumbled and fell forward. Chris just happenend to have his hand on the guys back. The only serious one is Troy, and he's still young, he'll get his emotions under control.

rowedf 10-24-2005 03:05 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
woe woe woe

Bettis dances in a cirlce everytime he gains 5 yards or trucks a guy. What ward did was no different in my book.

From the look of that call, it was not the spiking of the ball, the ref didn't throw his flag until ward jumped around and signaled for the first down in the cincy dudes face......but then again, ive seen many o guys do the same thing......

Atlanta Dan 10-24-2005 03:09 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
WE may have agreed the Taylor call was trash but the refs obviously were not included in our poll. Taylor's slamdance with Johnson would not have drawn a second look in the 1970s (such as the Steelers-Raiders games), but times have changed.

As soon as Taylor flipped Johnson over I knew the flag was coming.

I agree Taylor is new to his role and will presumably learn how to channel his aggression, but Ward has been around too long not to know better. A taunting call on offense is not related to a hard tackle (which can lead to a personal foul) and is about nothing but ego. It's revolting when T.O. and Chad Johnson decide it is time to attempt to get on ESPN and no less offensive when it is one of the Black & Gold (in almost every case Hines Ward, who nevertheless is one of my favorite players) that does the deed.

The absence of any such flags in the second half, in which the Steelers certainly did not lack for intensity, indicates the need to be "intense" cannot excuse hurting your team.

AvoidLLoyd95 10-24-2005 03:34 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
I said this yesterday in my thread, Taylor's job is to tackle the opposing player...period. He did not drop him on his head. Since CJ is bigger than Taylor and he needed a little leverage to get him down. If he just keeps on arm tackling him, CJ probably breaks his tackle and rumbles for a few more yards, that is until Polamalu would have crushed him into the turf. Terrible PF Call.

BurghThing 10-24-2005 04:14 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
I have no problem with what Taylor did. Screw the NFL and its new no-contact rules. You don't think that tackle was on CJ's mind the rest of the game?

BlitzburghRockCity 10-24-2005 04:30 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271
Oh yea, cause Ward gets so many personal fouls called on him. :rolleyes: It was an intense game. Even Bettis was pumped. We've already agreed that the Taylor call was trash, and for the Hope penalty, he was running the WR out of bounds, when Harrison slammed into both of them and they both stumbled and fell forward. Chris just happenend to have his hand on the guys back. The only serious one is Troy, and he's still young, he'll get his emotions under control.


I agree... but I'll take a few personal fouls now and then for all the HUGE plays that troy makes every week consistently. He'll learn as time goes on. Im not condoning them at all, but just like a bettis fumble once every blue moon, u can kinda live it, IMO.

Grey 10-24-2005 05:42 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
A taunting call on offense is not related to a hard tackle (which can lead to a personal foul) and is about nothing but ego. It's revolting when T.O. and Chad Johnson decide it is time to attempt to get on ESPN and no less offensive when it is one of the Black & Gold (in almost every case Hines Ward, who nevertheless is one of my favorite players) that does the deed.

What the heck are you talking about?

As TasmanianTroy pointed out, Ward rarely gets any personal fouls called on him.

Here we go.
Grey

Prosdo 10-24-2005 05:50 PM

Re: Recurring Personal Fouls Need To Stop
 
I have to say that is one of the few times I can remember Ward getting a personal foul.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum