Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2008 NFL Draft Fullback Rankings (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=23462)

lamberts-lost-tooth 02-09-2008 11:05 AM

2008 NFL Draft Fullback Rankings

2008 NFL Draft Fullback Rankings
Rivals.com

This year's fullback class is a deep group at the top. There are five prospects who will likely develop into starters during their careers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POSITION GRADE B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Owen Schmitt, Jacob Hester and Peyton Hillis were productive very productive for Bowl Championship Series programs in college. Jerome Felton is a solid small-college prospect with a starting grade, while Carl Stewart of Auburn also grading out high in several areas.
This position has been minimized over the past decade due to the emergence of the H-back role. Many clubs now carry four tight ends and only one fullback.

The top three prospects in this group carry marginal top-125 grades.

Fullback Rankings

1. Owen Schmitt, 6-2, 260, West Virginia
Schmitt is a hard-nosed prospect with fine blocking skills and strength. He also has shown the ability to run well and catch the ball out of the backfield.

2. Jacob Hester, 5-11, 230, LSU
Hester is a versatile prospect who can fill any role in the backfield. He is a fine inside runner and has shown sure hands as a receiver.

3. Peyton Hillis, 6-1, 245, Arkansas
This athletic fullback played in the shadow of Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. Hillis has the skills to shine in the right setting.

4. Jerome Felton, 6-0, 250, Furman
Felton is a tough small-college fullback who has been a great goal-line runner.

5. Carl Stewart, 6-1, 225, Auburn
Stewart is an athletic player who has displayed the skills to be one of the best swing backs in this class.

6. Julius Crosslin, 6-0, 230, Oklahoma State
This strong, compact prospect had a fine senior season. He has the skill set to surprise at the next level.

7. Mike Cox, 6-0, 250, Georgia Tech
Cox is a physical fullback and has proven to be a crushing lead blocker. He is an ideal for the two-back set.

8. Brandon McAnderson, 5-11, 240, Kansas
McAnderson is a big tailback-type who will probably fit into the fullback role in an NFL West Coast offense.

9. Chris Alexander, 5-11, 245, Texas A&M
Alexander is an effective lead blocker. He also catches the ball well, and could fill a few different roles.

10. Dionte Johnson, 5-11, 240, Ohio State
Johnson is the kind of blocking fullback who doesn't mind doing the grunt work at this position. He could also be an effective special teams performer.

11. Adam Ballard, 6-0, 236, Navy
12. Michael Pitre, 5-11, 245, UCLA
13. Tom Busch, 5-10, 235, Iowa
14. Justin Valentine, 6-0, 230, Minnesota
15. Tielor Robinson, 5-10, 245, Duke

Elvis 02-19-2008 12:40 AM

Re: 2008 NFL Draft Fullback Rankings

I have heard several different good things about this guy:

7. Mike Cox, 6-0, 250, Georgia Tech
Cox is a physical fullback and has proven to be a crushing lead blocker. He is an ideal for the two-back set.

He is big and physical, and from what I have heard, the man just loves to block and make holes.. sounds like a True Steeler FB to Me!

The Duke 02-19-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

physical fullback and has proven to be a crushing lead blocker
true, this guy sounds like steelers material to me

I like Owen Schmitt too, but he'll probably be gone around round 3-4, and the steelers need to address other things during those rounds, while Mike Cox will probably be available in rounds 5-7

look at kreider, he was an undrafted free agent, and he became one of the best run blocking fullbacks in the league

just hope the steelers get an eye on this guy at the combine

Preacher 02-19-2008 01:08 AM

Um...

Seems to me that there were a number of reports coming out of the Steelers organization that stated that the FB position was basically going away. I doubt very much that we are going to draft a fullback. We MAY draft a RB in the second day that we will LOOK at as a FB Just in case. but I will be TICKED if we draft a FB this year.

The Duke 02-19-2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 367951)
Seems to me that there were a number of reports coming out of the Steelers organization that stated that the FB position was basically going away.

I know, I guess I just haven't accepted that yet

I still love the days of just pounding the ball, thats what made me love the steelers in the first place, and the fullback is a big part in pounding the ball

but well, the steelers are evolving, and whatever they use to win I'm happy with, even if it is carey davis

lamberts-lost-tooth 02-19-2008 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 367951)
Um...

Seems to me that there were a number of reports coming out of the Steelers organization that stated that the FB position was basically going away. I doubt very much that we are going to draft a fullback. We MAY draft a RB in the second day that we will LOOK at as a FB Just in case. but I will be TICKED if we draft a FB this year.

True..but some of these guys, like Hester are legit short yardage backs. Remember, Brian Leonard was listed as a fullback last year but everyone knew that he was going to either be a H-back or short yardage guy.

Rhee Rhee 02-19-2008 03:50 PM

i had a liking to brian leonard because of his incredible athleticism...

i'd rather have a chris johnson to add to willie parker because he can be utilized in so many ways...

Godfather 02-19-2008 10:12 PM

I've been watching Jacob Hester for four years. He's AWESOME. He put LSU on his back and carried us to victory over Florida. Fumbled in the first game in 2004 and hasn't fumbled since. Money in short-yardage situations.

He'd look great in black and gold.