Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is The Format War Over? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=23508)

GBMelBlount 02-11-2008 04:03 PM

Is The Format War Over?

For those of you who have been waiting for a clear winner in the high definition DVD format war between blu ray & HD DVD before jumping in, the knockout blow may have come much sooner than expected. Many studios have recently switched over to Blu Ray, and Netflix just switched exclusively to Blu Ray today as well. However, HD DVD players have dropped to about $150 from $230 in the fall & I have a feeling there will be a "liquidation" of HD DVD's coming soon. Meaning that there will probably be alot of very cheap HD DVD's of the 350 titles or so that are available.

The Duke 02-11-2008 04:32 PM

Re: Is The Format War Over?

I think so, HD DVD is dying

Quote:

HD DVD players have dropped to about $150 from $230
and they will just continue to drop

I remember about 3 years ago I did a report for school about HD vs blu ray and one of my points was that in 3-5 years HD will start to die and blu ray would be at the top with like you said studios( which is a large % of users) using it. guess I was right,lol

there's still time for the HD to catch up, but if I would have to place a bet would go with blu ray

Borski 02-11-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke (Post 365846)
I think so, HD DVD is dying

and they will just continue to drop

I remember about 3 years ago I did a report for school about HD vs blu ray and one of my points was that in 3-5 years HD will start to die and blu ray would be at the top with like you said studios( which is a large % of users) using it. guess I was right,lol

there's still time for the HD to catch up, but if I would have to place a bet would go with blu ray

When I first heard about the format war I thought Blu-Ray would win....guess I was right too

tony hipchest 02-11-2008 04:40 PM

anyone care to explain the simple difference, and if it will translate on my 13" Orion tv?

lilyoder6 02-11-2008 04:41 PM

the only hd that isn't dying ois the t.v.'s. nut i agree with evryone is turnong to blue ray.. the gaming industry are going there too with the PS3 having a blue ray inside of it..

Borski 02-11-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 365848)
anyone care to explain the simple difference, and if it will translate on my 13" Orion tv?

HD-DVD has 20gb of space on it
Blu-Ray has 25gb of space on it

the two are incompatible with each other.

Blu-Ray is also being used for Video games on the PS3.

other then that, not many differences.

and on a 13" TV you wont see any differences between Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, or even VHS

MACH1 02-11-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyoder6 (Post 365849)
the only hd that isn't dying ois the t.v.'s. nut i agree with evryone is turnong to blue ray.. the gaming industry are going there too with the PS3 having a blue ray inside of it..

I think Sony came up with blu-ray so it makes sense its in the ps3.

Borski 02-11-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH1 (Post 365895)
I think Sony came up with blu-ray so it makes sense its in the ps3.

Yup, Sony came up with Blu-Ray, and Toshiba/Microsoft came up with HD-DVD

...but for some reason, Microsoft decided not to use HD-DVD for 360 games.

lilyoder6 02-11-2008 09:53 PM

b/c bill gates and microsoft don't won't the public to get a 360 and a hd -dvd player in one.. they would lose money

Dynasty 02-12-2008 12:11 AM

toshiba is really the only one who is pushing hd-dvd anymore, they have one studio, and there are even rumors that MS will switch to blu-ray support.