Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ward nears record... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2413)

BlitzburghRockCity 11-03-2005 12:01 AM

Ward nears record...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05307/599790.stm

Steelers Notebook: Ward nears record, but forgets 1st catch
Thursday, November 03, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward no doubt will remember the catch that breaks John Stallworth's team-reception record that could come Sunday if he nabs four to reach No. 538 in his career. But he cannot recall his first catch in the NFL.

Hines Ward had eight receptions vs. Baltimore Monday night and a few words from coach Bill Cowher as well.
"Can you find out about my first one?" Ward asked yesterday.

That one came Sept. 6, 1998, in the season opener at Baltimore his rookie season. He caught a 12-yard pass from Kordell Stewart on third-and-20 from shotgun formation. Duane Starks tackled him 8 yards short of the sticks. The score was 3-3 in a game the Steelers went on to win, 20-13.

Although Ward would have preferred to break the record at home, it more likely will come in famed Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

"It's just an honor," Ward said. "To say I'm better than Lynn Swann or Stallworth? Just having my name mentioned among those guys is a true honor for me."

Ward has made the past four Pro Bowls, when he caught 381 passes. He missed the first game of his career Oct. 16 against Jacksonville, but leads the Steelers with 29 receptions for 412 yards and five touchdowns.

At 29, can he envision catching 1,000 passes in his career?

"A thousand? It just depends," Ward said. "How long do I want to play? How long can I play? I haven't really looked into it. Do I want to get 1,000? I'd love to. But I'd rather win a Super Bowl. That's like the icing on the cake."

There's a chance that Ward could catch his record pass from backup quarterback Charlie Batch because of a knee injury to starter Ben Roethlisberger. Stallworth caught his milestone 500th during a 1987 strike-replacement game against Indianapolis from replacement quarterback Steve Bono, a 3-yard touchdown.

BlitzburghRockCity 11-03-2005 01:37 PM

Re: Ward nears record...

you know ur a team player, and unselfish individual when you cant even remember your very first catch...

You think TO remembers his first one?? of course he does, he probably had the game ball bronzed !!!

Prosdo 11-03-2005 01:43 PM

Ward is a great player and I can't wait to see him get the record. He is truly a team player.

Avoid LLoyd1975 11-03-2005 02:05 PM

Lets just get the ring. That is an awesome thing for him to say. Besides, who wants to see him catch a 1,000 balls in his career or the team get a few rings. I'd personally request some superbowl appearances myself. Go HINES!!!

geran42o 11-03-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avoid LLoyd1975
Lets just get the ring. That is an awesome thing for him to say. Besides, who wants to see him catch a 1,000 balls in his career or the team get a few rings. I'd personally request some superbowl appearances myself. Go HINES!!!

Here, here Get them rings

SteelR1 11-03-2005 07:14 PM

It'll be exciting to see him take the record, but I agree....

A RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clevestinks 11-04-2005 11:16 AM

The only part I didn`t like is his reference to being better than Swann and Stalworth. ????
They said he would have more catches, then didn`t say he was better. Different times , different era. Two greats on one team instead of one.

Prosdo 11-04-2005 01:07 PM

He said something similiar in an interview I saw a few months ago. They asked him how did he feel to be mentioned with the Steelers greats Stallworth and Swann. He said something like to be mentioned with them is a honor. But I don't think I'm better than them. They made these great catches that were acrobatic. I feel like I still have room for improvement. So as far as the quote for that I don't think he was implying we was better. I think he was trying to get the point across that he looks up to them.

Suitanim 11-04-2005 07:09 PM

I wonder if Ward will complain that the Steelers don't have a big enough celebration when he breaks the record? Then question the class of the organization?

Oh, nevermind, no I don't...only punk bitches like TO say stupid shit like that.

melroseplace 11-06-2005 10:12 AM

I'm excited for Hines to break this record, he deserves it. and I completely agree with him and everyone else...let's go for the ring!

and in regards to the quote, that is from an interview where he was asked about being compared to those two. I think whoever wrote this article just used that, a bit out of context.