Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   It's official: Ben out 1-2 weeks (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2416)

Suitanim 11-03-2005 08:50 AM

It's official: Ben out 1-2 weeks

PPG was fast...Cowher's press conference announcing this doesn't start for 10 minutes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05307/600100.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/includes/images/blank.gif Roethlisberger to have knee surgery; out 1-2 weeks

Thursday, November 03, 2005

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will have arthroscopic surgery to repair damaged cartilage in his right knee and will miss Sunday's game in Green Bay and possibly the Nov. 13 home game against the Cleveland Browns.

However, Roethlisberger should be ready to return when the Steelers play in Baltimore Nov. 20, if not sooner. Charlie Batch, who has been elevated to the No. 2 position, will be the starting quarterback. The Steelers have called a news conference for this morning to discuss the injury. Roethlisberger was injured on the first series of Monday night's 20-19 victory against the Baltimore Ravens but remained in the game. He was diagnosed with a posterior capsule strain, which includes damage to ligaments.

Tim 11-03-2005 08:57 AM

Re: It's official: Ben out 1-2 weeks

*sigh*

Figures. The first Steeler game I get to go see in 10+ years and I get to see our #2 QB. Bummer. Total bummer.

Ah well, this would be the time to get this taken care of.

Suitanim 11-03-2005 08:59 AM

I still think we'll be fine. Batch can't play woprse than Tommy, and we are a superior team to the Packers in every other aspect of the game.

Then we play the Browns...no worries.

pitt 11-03-2005 09:17 AM

Like Batch said. He has experience playing at the Greenbay stadium. I just wish I could remember him winning there.

Suitanim 11-03-2005 09:19 AM

More news. Duce will be playing Sunday since Bettis is Questionable. The 3rd QB is ARE.

Steel - X 11-03-2005 09:58 AM

I smell 600 carries from the backs this week against one of the worst run defenses in the league.

Tim 11-03-2005 10:42 AM

Heh.. it's starting to feel like a pre-season game. Where's Nate Washington? ;)

Atlanta Dan 11-03-2005 10:54 AM

Good thing Steelers pulled out the Monday nite game - if the announcements on Ben and Bettis had been made after a loss giving away the Ravens game I would be more upset than after the Jax mess.

Any word on when Bettis got hurt? He looked fine on the 11 yard run prior to the winnning FG.

Time for the D to carry the team for a few weeks and for Duce to get some carries against two bad teams the next two weeks.

After reading Bouchette's story online in the P-G this morning, I actually am relieved (of course not glad) that the future of the franchise is being sat down for a few weeks, both for this season and Ben's health in years to come.

Finally, the chunks of turf on helmets appeared to indicate field was its typical midseason mess on Monday nite, with the worst to come after Pitt and the WPIAL playoffs chew it up some more this month. I know injuries can happen anytime and anywhere, but losing two backs to knee injuries on that bog makes me wonder if something else needs to be done to fix one of the worst fields in the NFL.

Grey 11-03-2005 11:10 AM

Fair enough.

It's the best two game stretch of the remaining schedule for this to happen, and Ben should be able to give closer to 100% after the recovery.

He was clearly uncomfortable after that first series on Monday. He lacked the mobility that makes him special, and I think that put a hit on his confidence level for the game. Still, he was strong willed and strong bodied enough to play a winning game.

I'd rathr see him out for a couple games, then have him come back strong, than to limp through the rest of the schedule and into the playoffs.

Come on Charlie Batch, make it happen.

Here we go.
Grey

tony hipchest 11-03-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim
*sigh*

Figures. The first Steeler game I get to go see in 10+ years and I get to see our #2 QB. Bummer. Total bummer.

Ah well, this would be the time to get this taken care of.

ist game in 10 yrs? man that sucks. i guess it is like going to a nascar race for the 1st time and watching your 2 favorite drivers wreck in the 1st 10 laps. hopefully the defense keeps it entertaining.