Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Steelers Experience (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Autographs = Money whoring. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=24241)

Stu Pidasso 03-26-2008 03:38 PM

Autographs = Money whoring.

I got an email from the Steel City Mafia about an upcoming signing with Willie Parker, and frankly, it pissed me off. Here's the image: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...idasso2/16.jpg Read the fine print. Buy $50 worth of crap, meet Fast Willie, but he won't sign anything unless it's a football supplied by Perry Ellis. You can't even get in line without that $50 purchase. I call bullspit.

This to me equals whoring. Wasn't there a time where player appearances meant you go somewhere with your kids with something you wanted signed, maybe pay like 5 bucks, and left happy, and your kids had memories? I have a helmet with 45 signatures so far, but nowadays, no one will sign it unless I pay as little as $50, or attend some $100/plate dinner. When will it end?

Is the NFL behind this? Or is it the players, agents, bookies, event hosts, etc.? Frankly, I'm sick of it. I'm not going to any more signings.

Dylan 03-26-2008 03:44 PM

Re: Autographs = Money whoring.

it more of the agents than the players

MACH1 03-26-2008 03:51 PM

Thats what those in the business call 'Manwhoring' :chicken:

But also gotta remember its a business. Whether its the nfl, nfl player or a sports store.

Give It To Abercrombie 03-26-2008 04:00 PM

While I agree with you about our mutual disgust for the current state of things, I think the reason is the amount salaries have risen to. I know these numbers will be off, but you'll get my idea. In the 80's a player made $750k/yr and could make $30k doing an autograph signing session. Now that same player made $8M last year. He isn't going to sit in the Harrisburg Farm Show Complex signing balls for $30k. That's like us sitting around all day signing stuff for $10. It sucks but that's what it comes down to.

polamalu82 03-26-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH1 (Post 380683)
Thats what those in the business call 'Manwhoring' :chicken:

But also gotta remember its a business. Whether its the nfl, nfl player or a sports store.

:sofunny:
I found the reason for the high prices. Willie has hired this guy and is afraid of the Pimp Hand.

[YOUTUBE]LaLNNt9Cngk[/YOUTUBE]

BlastFurnace 03-26-2008 06:21 PM

When I met Joe Greene once, all I asked of him was to shake his hand. At first, when I walked up to him, he acted a little annoyed because he thought I was an autograph seeker...his exact words were "I don't have time". I turned around and started to walk away and he asked me "What do you want"...I told him that I was a big Steelers fan from the 70's and all I wanted to do was shake his hand, he instantly got this huge smile on his face and said "I have time for that".

That means more to me than getting his signature on a piece of paper or picture.

polamalu82 03-26-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlastFurnace (Post 380733)
When I met Joe Greene once, all I asked of him was to shake his hand. At first, when I walked up to him, he acted a little annoyed because he thought I was an autograph seeker...his exact words were "I don't have time". I turned around and started to walk away and he asked me "What do you want"...I told him that I was a big Steelers fan from the 70's and all I wanted to do was shake his hand, he instantly got this huge smile on his face and said "I have time for that".

That means more to me than getting his signature on a piece of paper or picture.

I think I seen you on tv. Did you give him a coke then he gave you his jersey?:sofunny: J/K. Cool story man.:thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets 03-26-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlastFurnace (Post 380733)

you shoulda took a coke with ya.....he might have givin ya his shirt.....:toofunny:

polamalu82 03-26-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 380737)
you shoulda took a coke with ya.....he might have givin ya his shirt.....:toofunny:

Jinx!!!!! You owe me a coke.:sofunny:

Galax Steeler 03-26-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polamalu82 (Post 380739)
Jinx!!!!! You owe me a coke.:sofunny:

That was one of my favorite comercials.