Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   My strange prediction...Otah will slide. Maybe to #23. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=24695)

El-Gonzo Jackson 04-24-2008 11:01 AM

My strange prediction...Otah will slide. Maybe to #23.

I may be completely off, but I've been thinking that Jeff Otah will be passed on by a lot of teams. He might even get to #23.

He improved his 40 time at his pro day, but still didnt run a short shuttle, so his lateral quickness is still a big question mark. He stands way too high and doesnt bend well at the hips and knees in pass protection. He played great against Chris Long, but poor against Rutgers....too inconsistent.

Long is off the board.
Clady is a more athletic LT and should be drafted higher
Williams is a more athletic LT and should be drafted higher
Albert can play LT and is definately more athletic.
Cherilus moves better than Otah and some teams may like him more.
Sam Baker played 4 seasons for USC at LT and is a better athlete, but not as large.

Just a hunch, but I think there might be a few questions marks that might scare teams off the big man. Of course, I could be wrong, but this is my bold pre-draft prediction.

revefsreleets 04-24-2008 12:20 PM

Re: My strange prediction...Otah will slide. Maybe to #23.

Not so bold. He's slowish and doesn't move particularly well. There are questions about him. I don't think his stock is necessarily dropping, but if a few teams that are looking at OT see something they don't like, he could drop out of the first entirely.

Aussie_steeler 04-24-2008 08:04 PM

All the zone blocking scheme teams will be a little worried with him IMO. He may be a liability in their scheme due to his agility doubts. There is a big chance he could fall, but the question is how far.

Do teams like Chicago or Denver prioritise OT or another position?
Does KC take a DE or OT at #5 and same again at #17.

An early run on CB's or WR's will help an OT fall to us.

El-Gonzo Jackson 04-24-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler (Post 389121)
All the zone blocking scheme teams will be a little worried with him IMO. He may be a liability in their scheme due to his agility doubts. There is a big chance he could fall, but the question is how far.

Do teams like Chicago or Denver prioritise OT or another position?
Does KC take a DE or OT at #5 and same again at #17.

An early run on CB's or WR's will help an OT fall to us.

I think KC goes Ryan if he is there and then OT at 17.
I think Denver will go OT, but Otah doesnt fit.
Chicago needs an OT, but also needs a RB...so does Detroit.

The big wildcard to me is Sam Baker. The guy played 4 seasons of LT at USC and is an athlete that fits with some teams like Denver, but they wont want him that high. I think there is a good chance Otah falls to us, but if not.....then Cherilus should be there.

Aussie_steeler 04-24-2008 08:43 PM

IF Otah and Cherilus are gone do you consider Baker at #23?

El-Gonzo Jackson 04-24-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler (Post 389134)

I like Baker, but really dont think he fits in the Steelers type of offense. He's athletic and good in pass pro, but not a strong run blocker like we need. Again, maybe he fits more in a zone blocking or west coast offense.

If Otah and Cherilus are gone, then I assume the other top 4 O linemen are already gone, so I would look to trade down or take the best D-lineman or CB available.

Rhee Rhee 04-25-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler (Post 389134)

i think i'd prefer kentwan balmer or jon stewart or quintein groves and a bit of reach pick could be antoine cason...

Galax Steeler 04-25-2008 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee (Post 389172)
i think i'd prefer kentwan balmer or jon stewart or quintein groves and a bit of reach pick could be antoine cason...

I would like the stewart or groves pick.

steelymcmatt 04-25-2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galax steeler (Post 389197)
I would like the stewart or groves pick.

I'm curious galax....do you dislike Balmer for some reason?

revefsreleets 04-25-2008 08:57 AM

This is all assuming the Steelers are looking T in RD 1. Many mocks have G, some have LB, DE, I've seen RB, WR CB. It's a total crapshoot at this point.