Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Congratulations Hines Ward (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2565)

Prosdo 11-14-2005 11:27 AM

Congratulations Hines Ward

Congrats to Hines Ward on passing John Stallworth on the all-time team receptions list. If anyone deserves it, it is Hines. Glad to have him in the black and gold and here's to many more years of it!

Record Breaking Catch
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...grinPJ_450.jpg

clevestinks 11-14-2005 11:29 AM

Re: Congratulations Hines Ward

Wow, Prosdo. I can`t believe we all forgot about that? I`m ashamed! LOL

Without a doubt! Props to you Hines! You are one of a kind!

Steel - X 11-14-2005 11:34 AM

I agree Congrats Hines. More to come thats for sure. That freakin guy is always smilin! Not to many guys in the NFL with a personality like Hines.

RoethlisBURGHer 11-14-2005 11:35 AM

Hell yeah Hines!

I think he seriously has a shot at 1,000 catches in his career.

pitt 11-14-2005 11:37 AM

Congratulations Hines!!!

BB2W 11-14-2005 11:38 AM

Hines Ward:

Q: When you were a rookie returning kicks, did you ever imagine setting the all time Steelers? reception record?

A: Never. Orpheus Roye, who played here before and was a year ahead of me ? when I broke the record, he was the first one who came up to me and said, ?Whoever would?ve thought, the guy who played special teams ? a flyer, a gunner ? would become the all-time reception leader.?

It meant so much for me personally, because considering everything that I?ve been through, like being a third-round pick, overcoming two first-rounders drafted in front of me, playing on a predominantly run-oriented team, having all the nay-sayers doubt me ? saying I?m not this tall, or I?m not this fast?I kept working my tail off to put myself in this position. But I never would?ve thought of me breaking the record, especially in only my eighth year. In front of my family, my fans, on national tv, against the Cleveland Browns ? it?s always good when you can beat Cleveland. The whole city seems to run well on Monday. This was the way I wanted it ? win, get the record ? it was a perfect night.

Q: Of all of (John) Stallworth?s records, which one means the most to you?

A: They all mean a great deal to me, but just having my name mentioned with (Lynn) Swann and Stallworth ? these guys are Hall of Famers that I respected. There?s always going to be comparisons between me and Swann and Stallworth, but for me, I don?t really care for comparison. I just want to be in the same class. And when you mention those guys, you think of true class off the field, so just having my name mentioned with those guys is a big honor. So when you think Pittsburgh receivers, you think Swann and Stallworth and now you add Hines to that list ? so it?s a great night.

Q: Did you have a (reception) counter in your head as the game went on?

A: No question. The touchdown, I couldn?t really see the replay. McCutcheon made a great play, the ball was kind of underthrown, so I tried to tip it back to myself. I don?t know if I got in our out ? I really wanted that one, because that would?ve tied the record. This week, I knew we were going to get some opportunities the way their defense plays they?d try to stop the run. As wide receivers, we got frustrated a little in Green Bay because we didn?t get opportunities. This week, all the wideouts came up big and made plays.

BlitzburghRockCity 11-14-2005 11:51 AM

I was there last nite.. let me tell you to see Hines make that history making catch was just unreal, the fans and the entire stadium went absolutely crazy!!! But Hines, being the team player he is and being everything TO is not..just tossed the ball to the sidelines and they went back and ran the next play.

Hines is the ultimate player, ultimate team mate, and the best damn all around WR in the game PERIOD. !!!!

Congrats to you Hines, it is so well deserved!

BB2W 11-14-2005 03:26 PM

Even after Hines Ward's rookie season in 1998, the Pittsburgh Steelers felt their need for a star receiver was so great they drafted Troy Edwards and Plaxico Burress on the first round each of the next two years.

Not certain if Ward could be a starter after playing part of his college career at Georgia as a quarterback, the Steelers used Ward in a variety of roles. He was a wingman on special teams, racing downfield to be the first in line to make a tackle or throw a block. On offense, he was used mostly as a blocker in the running game, and he caught only 16 passes as a rookie.

But as they spent more time with Ward, coach Bill Cowher and his staff couldn't help but notice the extra time he spent taking passes from any quarterback who would throw to him, the passion and effort he brought while undertaking some of the most thankless jobs on a football field.

They also saw something else: Ward played without ego or concern that his throw-his-body-around approach might lead to an injury that would end his career before he proved he could catch passes in the NFL. They also saw him repeatedly anger defensive backs unaccustomed to having a receiver block them with the ferocity of a tight end or fullback.

Now, long after Ward became not only a starter but also one of the NFL's most reliable receivers, any list of the best pass catchers in Steelers history must contain at least three names: John Stallworth, Lynn Swann and, yes, Hines Ward.

Cowher remembers telling Ward how he would be needed to play special teams as a rookie, when veteran receivers Courtney Hawkins, Charles Johnson and Will Blackwell were ahead of him.

"He's caught a lot of passes and I've been here for every one," Cowher said. "No one appreciates it more than myself - not just his catching but what he brings to the game and the way he approaches the game and what he stands for. He's the complete football player."

link........ http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centr...l/13165370.htm

SteelCityMan786 11-14-2005 09:31 PM

Congrats Hines. All records in receving are made for Hines to break

BlitzburghRockCity 11-14-2005 10:22 PM

Quote:

"He's caught a lot of passes and I've been here for every one," Cowher said. "No one appreciates it more than myself - not just his catching but what he brings to the game and the way he approaches the game and what he stands for. He's the complete football player.
Most of us have been around to see his catches too..from when he was first drafted and played on ST..till he broke into the starting lineup. What a treat its been to see him develop.