Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Training Camp (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Camp Notes - July 28th (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26203)

BlastFurnace 07-28-2008 05:50 PM

Camp Notes - July 28th

This was taken from: http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

It's Dale Lolley's blog. You guys should read it and the comments he writes along with it. It's very informative.

- Lamar Woodley tore Colon and Starks apart today. "Either LaMarr Woodley is going to be a beast this season or the Steelers' offensive line - and right tackles in particular - really stinks.
Woodley was unblockable in the one-on-one drills this afternoon by either Willie Colon or Max Starks."

- "Somebody else who stood out this afternoon was second-year defensive lineman Ryan McBean. They were using McBean on punt coverage and he was really getting down the field well for a 290-pounder. This team hasn't had a young defensive lineman to use as a wedge buster the past couple of seasons, but McBean could be that guy."

- "Rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall shows good learning ability. After being beaten a couple of times in backs-on-backers blocking, the No. 1 pick picked up his game after that and stoned some guys. He looks good with the ball in his hands, too, slipping through holes. "

Anthony Smith took another hard shot at wide receiver Willie Reid - as he did several times last year in camp - and Reid popped up and fired the ball at him, touching off a scrimmish between the two that had to be broken up by teammates.

Dale mentioned in his comment section: "Smith, it seems, is just a knuckehead. LeBeau was yelling at him to cut it out and he just kept going.
If you're not going to listen to LeBeau, who are you going to listen to?"

Reid later tangled with linebacker Andre Frazier on a running play after cracking down to block the bigger man."

"Reid didn't back down on either occasion.

I waited to talk to Reid after practice and he had a long conversation with Ben Roethlisberger, who told the third-year receiver to let the coaches handle the cheap shots and to let that stuff go.

But the clock is ticking on Reid and he knows it. A third-round pick three years ago, he hasn't quite worked out to be what the Steelers envisioned.

And with the addition of second-round pick Limas Sweed this year, Reid is not guaranteed a roster spot.

He's clearly playing with something to prove. "

billybob 07-28-2008 06:07 PM

Re: Camp Notes - July 28th

The mach 5 is in camp.Nay-sayers get ready to eat some words.

The Duke 07-28-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

- "Somebody else who stood out this afternoon was second-year defensive lineman Ryan McBean. They were using McBean on punt coverage and he was really getting down the field well for a 290-pounder. This team hasn't had a young defensive lineman to use as a wedge buster the past couple of seasons, but McBean could be that guy."
I'm counting on this guy to give us depth

woodley will be a beast, colon isn't so bad

Quote:

"Reid didn't back down on either occasion.
only good thing about reid. if only he could catch, or hold on to a ball

revefsreleets 07-28-2008 07:43 PM

Woodley is a beast. And one-on-one SHOULD always greatly favor the LB against a OT.

Hammer Of The GODS 07-28-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Dale mentioned in his comment section: "Smith, it seems, is just a knuckehead. LeBeau was yelling at him to cut it out and he just kept going.
If you're not going to listen to LeBeau, who are you going to listen to?"

I'm really starting not to like this kid. He's coming across as a punk with a "me first" attitude. He hits like a truck and I like that, but he needs work on his coverage skills. The biggest thing he needs is a filter for his mouth!

BlastFurnace 07-28-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS (Post 416964)
I'm really starting not to like this kid. He's coming across as a punk with a "me first" attitude. He hits like a truck and I like that, but he needs work on his coverage skills. The biggest thing he needs is a filter for his mouth!

Some of you may remember Delton Hall from the mid to late 80's. Smith reminds me of Hall a great deal. Hall didn't last long in the league.

tony hipchest 07-28-2008 09:11 PM

and last year smith was being called a "beast" and applauded for laying the wood in camp. they were calling for clark to be replaced.

people loved him until he got burnt vs. the patriots. now he is considered a scrub for fighting for a job in camp, having 1 horrible game, and having an instant or 2 where he got caught up and showboated.

love him or hate him, steeler or not, i think he has potential to be a starter in this league for many years to come. some people just take more time to develop and mature than those who come from national championship type programs.

Blitzburgh_Fever 07-28-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 416988)
and last year smith was being called a "beast" and applauded for laying the wood in camp. they were calling for clark to be replaced.

people loved him until he got burnt vs. the patriots. now he is considered a scrub for fighting for a job in camp, having 1 horrible game, and having an instant or 2 where he got caught up and showboated.

love him or hate him, steeler or not, i think he has potential to be a starter in this league for many years to come. some people just take more time to develop and mature than those who come from national championship type programs.

Agreed. How fickle we are. He's definitely good enough to push for a starting position in a year or so, and as a backup he made his tackles when he's in the right position. You can coach him to become more mature. Obviously LeBeau likes what he sees or he'd be gone.

Blitzburgh_Fever 07-28-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlastFurnace (Post 416920)
I waited to talk to Reid after practice and he had a long conversation with Ben Roethlisberger, who told the third-year receiver to let the coaches handle the cheap shots and to let that stuff go.

But Ben is just a big dumb hick game manager, not a leader or anything.

Definitely my favorite part of the article :applaudit:

El-Gonzo Jackson 07-28-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 416959)
Woodley is a beast. And one-on-one SHOULD always greatly favor the LB against a OT.

The Backs vs. Backers always is weighted towards the backers. LB vs. OT should goto the OT that normally outweighs the LB by 50 lbs and has longer reach.

The quicker man will eventually get to the QB, but the OT should be able to keep between the LB and QB with footwork and punch. It sounded like neither Starks nor Colon had the footwork to match Woodley.