Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Training Camp (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Training Camp - 8/12/08 (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26477)

HometownGal 08-12-2008 08:07 PM

Training Camp - 8/12/08

XT and I attended TC today and we definitely were provided with a whale of a practice!

To begin, Big Snack is looking good - he's dropped at least 25 lbs. and has only a chin and a half and one belly now. :chuckle: In all seriousness, he had a good practice and looked more like the Casey Hampton we all know and love. :thumbsup:

Ben to Hines and Ben to Santo looked excellent as always! :thumbsup: Mendenhall ran well and scored a TD against the first team D at the goal line. :tt03: The offense was working with the screen passes a lot which is something I believe the Steelers need to incorporate more into their O. Mewelde Moore had a couple of nice runs and I think he is going to be a tremendous asset to our ST's and O when he is used. I also was quite impressed with Gary Russell's performance. I think Najeh might be the odd man out.

Of particular note:

Byron Leftwich looked very good behind center and remarkably comfortable just a few days into his first practices with the Steelers. He has a very strong arm and made some great passes. The only thing I can say negatively about him at this point is that he needs to ease up on the touch a little, as he tends to gun the balls to his receivers a little too hard. Other than that - I was extremely pleased with his performance today and feel he will be an excellent backup to Ben. :applaudit:

Mitch Berger was booting the ball in the ST drills. He has very good hang time and as an experienced vet in the NFL, I see him as the winner of the battle of the punters this season. :thumbsup:

Steelers TE's as a whole looked really solid. Don't know how many TE's Arians wants to keep on the roster, but other than the obvious (Heath and Spaeth), Cody Boyd really impressed me with his good hands and Dezmond Sherrod looked pretty strong out there. :thumbsup:

The Steelers starting D looked like - well - the Steelers starting D! :tt02: Keisel and Aaron Smith were clowning it up a bit and they were hilarious! :chuckle:

Chris Kemoeatu is a BIG, BIG man - holy Mother of God! :jawdrop: I'd run like a bat out of hell if I had to line up opposite him. :horror: Glad he's one of ours - LOL!

What I thought was really cool was the fact that Tomlin was out on that field in his sweatsuit throughout the practice encouraging the guys and took time to evaluate every unit. Nothing against the Chin, as I was as big a Cowher fan as there was out there, but he used to stand under the tent quite a bit at TC and let his coaches run the practices pretty much. Not the Tomlinator - he was involved in every aspect of the practice today. :tt03::tt02:

I liked what I saw from everyone on that field today. Very, very encouraging! :tt02:

I will have some pics to post as soon as I upload them from my digi-cam.

tony hipchest 08-12-2008 08:17 PM

Re: Training Camp - 8/12/08

Quote:

I think Najeh might be the odd man out.

*hyuck hyuck* :sofunny: hes was cut a while back.

thanks for the reports. i bet you guys had a blast. wish i could have been there too! i was reading lefty has to throw lasers to compensate fro his slow wind up and delivery. im not sure if they will tinker with that hitch in his giddyup.

u get to see your man sep?

Texasteel 08-12-2008 08:39 PM

Thanks for the up date. I would loved to have been there with ya , but, well maybe next year.

Keep the info coming, the only training camp I get are those damn cowboys and I'm ignoring them.

The Duke 08-12-2008 08:45 PM

everything we hear about kemo seems good so far. I love it!!

thanks for the update

HometownGal 08-12-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 422297)
*hyuck hyuck* :sofunny: hes was cut a while back.

There was a #44 back who looked like Najeh and ran like him too. Najeh's name was also listed on the roster that was handed out to all fans. :flap: Seriously, I forgot that Najeh was cut. They say everyone has a twin and in this case, Pooper definitely has one.

tony hipchest 08-12-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal (Post 422315)
There was a #44 back who looked like Najeh and ran like him too. Najeh's name was also listed on the roster that was handed out to all fans. :flap: Seriously, I forgot that Najeh was cut. They say everyone has a twin and in this case, Pooper definitely has one.

just yanking your chain, girl! :smile: YAY! lol

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/...heese2_275.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32 08-12-2008 11:20 PM

I wonder who this mysterious 44 is?....Checked Steelers.com and NFL.com...There is no 44 on the roster according to those sites....I'm not doubting you......Just curious....

Mewelde Moore is going to be one of the most under-rated pickups....I liked the signing....He is going to help the return game and will be Ben's Keven Faulk.....He is a good football player....Don't know how many carries he will get with Parker/Mendenhall set to get most of the carries...If Russell makes the team which that is a strong possibility then he will get some carries as well....

I think this is the deepest backfield the Steelers have had in some time....I really like the depth....

lilyoder6 08-12-2008 11:37 PM

not unless one of our other rb's changed numbers... but i think that w/ the pick of rashard the touches that moore would of gotten went down big time... i rly wonder if we are gonna go w/ 4 rb's and a fb.. just a sticky situation

El-Gonzo Jackson 08-13-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke (Post 422306)
everything we hear about kemo seems good so far. I love it!!

I hope Kemo makes us all forget the Faneca turmoil of last season.

I also hope Sherrod makes the team as the 3rd TE. Not a big make or break position being the #3 TE, but I think his profile can help be a short yardage blocker.

Steelman16 08-13-2008 02:32 AM

Thanks for the info, HTG and XT! Can't wait for the pics...

With the addition/upgrade of Kemo, I think we'll cut our sacks allowed number dramtically, possibly in half.