Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Pirates (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Pirates' deal with Pedro Alvarez in jeopardy (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26782)

SteelCityMan786 08-27-2008 09:37 PM

Pirates' deal with Pedro Alvarez in jeopardy

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08240/907355-100.stm
Pirates' deal with Pedro Alvarez in jeopardy
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates' deal with first-round draft pick Pedro Alvarez appeared to be in jeopardy today, with the Pirates issuing a statement saying that Alvarez's agent, Scott Boras, has said Alvarez will not sign the contract agreed to on Aug. 15.

As a result, Pirates president Frank Coonelly said in the statement that the team had asked the commissioner's office to place Alvarez on MLB's restricted list.

In addition, the MLB Players Assocation today will file a grievance against the commissioner's office contending that Alvarez agreed to his contract after the Aug. 15 midnight deadline.

X-Terminator 08-28-2008 12:02 AM

Re: Pirates' deal with Pedro Alvarez in jeopardy

This is all a ploy by Scott Boras to try to extort an extra $200,000 out of the Pirates so that Alvarez will be the highest paid player in the draft (the 5th overall pick got a $6.2 million signing bonus from the Giants). He knows damn well that the contract is valid. Do you see now part of the reason why they traded Nady? This jackhole is his agent.

Player agents are the scum of the earth.

pittsburghp8baller 08-28-2008 06:09 AM

this is ridiculous! Alvarez, u need to get on the dam field. i gurantee, the sooner u get the the field the sooner u will make it to the majors and the sooner u will either get a bigger contract with us and make more than ur entry contract or if we continue to struggle the sooner than u get traded to a team that will pay u a lot

SteelCityMan786 08-28-2008 04:33 PM

Alvarez and Boras are both morons. Grow a set and SIGN THE DEAL.

pittsburghp8baller 08-28-2008 05:36 PM

apparently the Giants signed their first round player (that Catcher from florida state i cant remember at the moment) to a contract with a 6.2 million dollar bonus, so now Alvarez and boras probably figure that now they can and try to squeeze out more out of the pirates

SteelCityMan786 08-28-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller (Post 428220)
apparently the Giants signed their first round player (that Catcher from florida state i cant remember at the moment) to a contract with a 6.2 million dollar bonus, so now Alvarez and boras probably figure that now they can and try to squeeze out more out of the pirates

Buster Posey.

pittsburghp8baller 08-28-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 (Post 428347)
Buster Posey.

there it is, i knew if u put a list of all of the picks i could of picked it out.

Edman 08-31-2008 05:35 PM

Things never come easy for the Pirates, even if they try.

It's not like this Alvarez guy will contribute, and even if he eventually does, he'll be traded for peanuts.

pittsburghp8baller 09-22-2008 09:27 PM

reports came in, Alvarez and the Pirates agree to a deal so we dodged a big bullet their. unfortunately we wont get to see him in the minors this year, he may get to play in the Arizona Fall League or some other fall/winter league.

X-Terminator 09-22-2008 09:35 PM

All I gotta say is this kid better be as good as advertised after all of the shit that's happened. Otherwise, the fans, at least the ones left who give a damn about the team, will ride his ass right out of town.