Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NCAA Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Congratulations to my Alma Mater... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2691)

Suitanim 11-25-2005 09:55 AM

Congratulations to my Alma Mater...

I sat through the worst weather conditions I've ever experienced to watch my Akron Zips take their firt ever 1-A football title of any kind as they beat Kent 35-3 to win the MAC East Championship. It was about 20 degrees, with winds blowing 20-40 MPH, sometimes near white-out conditions, and the wind chill had to have been at least -10.

Anyway, on to Ford Field in Detroit for the MAC Championship game against Northern Illinoi next Thursday night on ESPN. It's a chance to see Domenik Hixon (Who I've been pimping all season), ex-Pitt QB Luke Getsy, and one of the better players in the MAC, RB Garret Wolfe (Rushed for 148 1 TD against Michigan and 245 and 3 TD's against Northwestern this year).

GO ZIPS!

BB2W 11-25-2005 11:07 AM

Re: Congratulations to my Alma Mater...

Congrats Suit, I saw the highlights of that game and it was really bad conditions.

RoethlisBURGHer 11-25-2005 11:57 AM

Congrats...thought beating Kent is no big feat...there are high school teams that can beat Kent,lol.

SteelCityMan786 11-25-2005 12:30 PM

To Be Or Not To Be MAC champions that is the ???? For Akron

Suitanim 11-25-2005 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
Congrats...thought beating Kent is no big feat...there are high school teams that can beat Kent,lol.

A) It's a 50 year old rivalry, so you can throw records out the window
B) In those conditions, it was all about running, and Akron is a passing team

Akron beat NIU earlier this year 48-42 in OT, and Akron was actually winning 42-21 in the 3rd QTR when they had a bit of a defensive collapse. They also held Wolfe to 52 yards on the ground. They definitely match up well against the Huskies...

I'm trying to figure out how I can both be at work next Thursday AND in Detroit all at the same time:bouncy:

Ambridge 11-25-2005 06:57 PM

Quote:

It was about 20 degrees, with winds blowing 20-40 MPH, sometimes near white-out conditions, and the wind chill had to have been at least -10.
Now we're talking some fun football weather and I hope you had some "Anti-freeze" to keep you warm.
I'll try and make a point to watch the game next Thursday.

Hey Suit!
Just start hacking and coughing at work on Monday and then cheese it up a little more on Tuesday and Wednesday..........now you've set yourself up for the "I feel like hell and wont be into work today" phone call on Thursday. :grin:

Suitanim 11-25-2005 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambridge
Now we're talking some fun football weather and I hope you had some "Anti-freeze" to keep you warm.
I'll try and make a point to watch the game next Thursday.

Hey Suit!
Just start hacking and coughing at work on Monday and then cheese it up a little more on Tuesday and Wednesday..........now you've set yourself up for the "I feel like hell and wont be into work today" phone call on Thursday. :grin:

I'm considering that option! As for "Anti-freeze", I had my flask filled with vodka, but opted against, since I went to have Thanksgiving dinner with my grandparents afterwards...they also serve beer at the Akron games (most college's do not now), and I've gotten into a little trouble in that regard before...