Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If you were starting the Steelers from scratch and could keep only ONE player... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=28180)

steelerstrade 10-18-2008 10:33 AM

If you were starting the Steelers from scratch and could keep only ONE player...

Who would that player be? And one special NOTE... You already are getting Ben Roethlisberger (since he is the most likely choice)...I have listed some obvious choices in my mind and then a couple who would make you think (in no order at all)....And WHY did you make your choice? Are you trying to win now or later, he fits your system, etc??? :coffee:

HereWeGoSteelers219 10-18-2008 10:45 AM

Re: If you were starting the Steelers from scratch and could keep only ONE player...

I chose LaMarr Woodley because he has become a dominant pass rusher and he can be a franchise defensive player. I chose him over Polamalu because he is younger and Troy has trouble staying healthy.

fansince'76 10-18-2008 11:01 AM

Re: If you were starting the Steelers from scratch and could keep only ONE player...

I chose Troy myself. Before his two down seasons (due primarily to injuries) he was well on track to becoming a once-in-a-generation kind of player like Rod Woodson was, and so far this year, he is playing up to that potential again. Woodley and Harrison have been the main reason for the resurgence of our pass rush, but I feel Troy's "return" is what has really made our D scary to pass against once again.

Crushzilla 10-18-2008 11:07 AM

Hmm interesting poll.

I went with Troy because the way he plays he position is unlike any other in football.

Yes. Willie Parker is a great back. There are other burners out there, though.

Also, we have had a lot of GREAT linebacker here. Again, yes, I love the guys we have right now (moreso than any group for a while), but you can always find new guys with similar skill sets.

Troy's skills, style, and personality are absolutely unique.

A lot of the others were too old to start a francise with!

MACH1 10-18-2008 11:09 AM

John Kuhn. :chuckle:

klick81 10-18-2008 11:21 AM

It was a tough one between Polamalu and Ward for me, but I ultimately kept Ward.

The main reason I went with Ward was his longevity, more than anything.

Ninja edit: good poll by the way.

stillers4me 10-18-2008 11:21 AM

I chose LaMarr because he's only starting out and will be a force for many years. Build around him.

I still love you, Troy!

Stu Pidasso 10-18-2008 11:58 AM

I chose James Harrison for two reasons:

1) Defense wins championships, and I'd build my defense around him.

2) He's a monster.

Makaveli 10-18-2008 12:05 PM

As mentioned,...defense wins Championships. And as such i chose Troy. Because aside from him being the best all around defensive player on our roster, he is an individual of character, honor, and strength and an absolute competitor. (FIGHT ON !)

ShutDown24 10-18-2008 12:16 PM

It has to be Troy.

With Willie runningback is a position that's too easy to fill, same with Mendy.

Most of the list is honestly too old for me to want to start a franchise around.

And guys like Santonio and Woodley just aren't there yet in my opinion, daaang close but not to that 'franchise' level in my opinion.

Troy is fairly young, not too longi n the tooth and plays in a very impactful way - perfect to build a defense around.