Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Feedback & Support (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Getting booted... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=28562)

revefsreleets 10-31-2008 01:14 PM

Getting booted...
 
So I was constructing a long answer to our newest Democratic ringer brought in to bolster the left wing of the board, and I forgot to cut and paste it and lost it when I got kicked off the board.

Is there any way to extent the time before you get booted off? Like 15 minutes?

fansince'76 10-31-2008 04:03 PM

Re: Getting booted...
 
The current timeout is 15 minutes. Many times, you can hit the "back" button and get the post back - at that point, highlight and copy the post, log into the board again, and paste the post you copied at that point. If I have a long post to write, I personally type it up in notepad and then copy and paste it, due to the 15-minute timeout limit.

Preacher 11-01-2008 10:32 PM

Re: Getting booted...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 464721)
The current timeout is 15 minutes. Many times, you can hit the "back" button and get the post back - at that point, highlight and copy the post, log into the board again, and paste the post you copied at that point. If I have a long post to write, I personally type it up in notepad and then copy and paste it, due to the 15-minute timeout limit.


There's a time out period now?

May I ask why? Does it help on the backend with spammers somehow, or maybe with the problems we've been having with the site crashing?

Of course, its really none of my business... I was just wondering.

fansince'76 11-01-2008 11:02 PM

Re: Getting booted...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 465164)
There's a time out period now?

May I ask why? Does it help on the backend with spammers somehow, or maybe with the problems we've been having with the site crashing?

Of course, its really none of my business... I was just wondering.

vBulletin (the BB software this forum uses) by default has always had a cookie timeout of 15 minutes. If this was disabled, people could log into the forum once and then would stay logged into it forever if they didn't specifically log out when they leave, which many don't. It's more a security setting than anything.

Preacher 11-02-2008 12:47 AM

Re: Getting booted...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 465169)
vBulletin (the BB software this forum uses) by default has always had a cookie timeout of 15 minutes. If this was disabled, people could log into the forum once and then would stay logged into it forever if they didn't specifically log out when they leave, which many don't. It's more a security setting than anything.

Ahh.

Thanks...

I was just wondering!

Steelman16 11-02-2008 12:58 AM

Re: Getting booted...
 
Wait, so is the 15 min timeout when posting? Or just generally logged in?

Guess I'm a little confuzzled. I've never had a problem with getting logged out unless I was on really bad WiFi.

fansince'76 11-02-2008 09:06 AM

Re: Getting booted...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelman16 (Post 465190)
Wait, so is the 15 min timeout when posting? Or just generally logged in?

Guess I'm a little confuzzled. I've never had a problem with getting logged out unless I was on really bad WiFi.

Actually both, to a certain extent. When just generally logged in, if you're reading a thread or a post, and you walk away from your computer for 20 minutes or so, your session will time out and you will need to log in again upon your return. However, if you're reading a multi-page thread, and you go to the next page in the thread - the activity of "moving" from one page to another, or for that matter, one thread to another resets the 15-minute timeout "clock" each time you "move."

When replying to a post, the same principle applies - when you're typing the reply, the 15-minute timeout "clock" is counting down as you're typing it. Another way around this besides typing a long reply in a notepad and cutting and pasting it after finishing it would be to periodically hit the "preview" button while typing the reply - this is seen as "activity" by vBulletin and the 15-minute timeout "clock" resets as a result.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum