Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   #24 Ike Taylor (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2874)

rowedf 12-06-2005 09:28 PM

#24 Ike Taylor

Hey guys, I hate to speculate like this but when, when do you think the Steelers will start using Ike for what he does best, and that is man up on a wr. It's getting really old to see him sit in zones (which he is not as good at) instead of manning up. I"m not sure the scheme back in the day, but didn't Woodson man up and nearly every guy he faced? He was our shut down corner, right? Or am I wrong and did Woodson just play as well in zone as he did in man? It's getting glaringly obvious that Ike excels in man coverage and is for a lack of better word, lazy, in zone............JUST MAN HIM UP EVERY DOWN!

Suitanim 12-06-2005 09:42 PM

Re: #24 Ike Taylor

Ike was lined up in single coverage plenty of times Sunday.

steelcurtain101 12-06-2005 09:49 PM

rod woodson was just awesome i loved watching him play , honestly i dont think zone has been working out to well for steelers this year now that i think about it nothing has been working too well for the secondary this year :redface:
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaCont...er01_46887.jpg

BIGBENFASTWILLIE 12-06-2005 10:45 PM

Ike could be a shut down corner......the problem is hes a free agent this year and the steelers are too cheap to keep him

TasmanianTroy271 12-06-2005 11:12 PM

I have a hard time believeing that with our situation at CB that we won't sign back Ike this offseason. I mean, Bryant will be a starter, but Colclough still needs to develop and seeing as Wille's 34 and Deshea's a FA this year, how could we not sign back Ike?

BlitzburghRockCity 12-06-2005 11:13 PM

Ike plays alot of man to man to coverage..however the Steelers also play alot of zone coverages and 2 deep stuff, so its a give and take..

he's come thru for us, no doubt ! I sure hope we keep him next year.

tony hipchest 12-06-2005 11:29 PM

if we cant keep him watch him go to the patriots and become a pro bowler. i dont think the steelers want to develop another patriot.

SalukiSteelers 12-07-2005 12:08 AM

Surely the Steelers will resign Ike. It's not like LB where the team seems to plug in somebody new almost every season. While it's flattering to compare Ike to Woodson, let's get serious. Woodson was a diamond anniversary CB and those don't come along very frequently.

One thing that worries me about zones is Troy's tendency to get caught cheating to the line. Man, if that were just a little bigger he'd be a hell of an LB, wouldn't he?

Rotorhead 12-07-2005 05:03 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt Woodsen a Safety? I think Ike is an astounding corner, and if we dont resign him I will be pissed. The problem with him manning up everydown is we run a zone-blitz scheme and that requires people to play their zones. If we can fix our LB issues our Def will be pretty stout again next year (All you really need is a top 10 for a ring IMO). And yeah it is stout this year, given the average field position given by our special teams to others it is holding up pretty well.

tony hipchest 12-07-2005 09:35 AM

woodson started as a cb and switched to safety after his injury in 95. he made the pro bowl as a cb, safety, and kr/pr in his career