Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   NFL Officials Blow It Again (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2947)

SalukiSteelers 12-12-2005 01:29 AM

NFL Officials Blow It Again

One of my roomies is a Lions fan (poor guy) so I watched the O.T. loss to the Pack tonight and I gotta tell ya, Detroit got screwed.

With just over four minutes left in the game, the Lions blew a chance to take the lead four times with goal to go. Fine, that happens.

So the Packers get the ball on about the half-yard line, tied 13-13, and hand the ball off to Samkon Gado, who was stopped in the endzone. Except he wasn't stopped. He tried to stretch or pitch the ball out to avoid the safety.

Well, the officials threw multiple flags; one for holding and one for intentional grounding. Instead of going with the obvious hold, the officials went with the grounding call. Packers coach Mike Sherman smartly threw the red flag and the officials reviewed their IG call and overturned it, stating that Gado was out of the pocket.

Now, the IG would have resulted in a safety, but the hold would have done the same thing. Instead of making the easy, obvious call they got cute and called the IG. Call overturned, Packers first down a play later. Sure, it didn't matter that drive because they punted the ball away and the Lions couldn't do anything with it.

Long story short, Pack O.T. field goal to win.

I understand that bad teams find a way to lose but is it too much to ask that we don't have the People's Court with every call? Make the call and don't lawyer it up.

Plus, given that the D is a bad team, do the officials really have to screw them so the Pack wins?

BlitzburghRockCity 12-12-2005 01:32 AM

Re: NFL Officials Blow It Again

I saw ALOT of poor spots or very generous spots as it were in that game tonite... on several key plays in the second half the officials were giving all kids gifts to the packer WR's.

Koopa 12-12-2005 01:47 AM

damn the lions didn't deserve to win one bit and i'm glad they got screwed, mayne wtf are they thinking running at the fat dude 4 straight times? and then trying to run at him with a midget qb? just stupid, i'm very glad they lost

SalukiSteelers 12-12-2005 03:36 AM

Hey Koopa, I realize that the Lions offensive play calling hurt them because Dick Jauron is an idiot. He proved it in Chicago and he's proving it in D-town.

All that aside, the defense came up and made a play when they had to and they got hosed. I'm pretty sure it's not Shaun Rogers' fault that the Lions offense is freakin' horrible. But when the officials are screwing you it's tough to take.

Just imagine if it happened to the Steelers. Would you still feel the same way?

Koopa 12-12-2005 03:43 AM

oh i was pissed at the refs cause at first i was going for the lions cause that them boys from ut (roy williams and shaun rogers) but damn those plays made me sick, i was even mad at roy for looking to get yards before he had the ball in his hands. it seems like the lions have given up and have no pride. anyway the refs were horrible and i will admitt they screwed the lions out of a W

bangpow 12-12-2005 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalukiSteelers
Hey Koopa, I realize that the Lions offensive play calling hurt them because Dick Jauron is an idiot. He proved it in Chicago and he's proving it in D-town.

Hold on a second, there.

I'm no the biggest Dick Jauron fan, but you can't blame the teams offensive playcalling on him. He didn't put together the offensive staff, draft the players, or sign the FA's. All he is doing at this point is basically running the team with what has been thrown in his lap. They aren't going to change offensive philosophies with 5 games left in the season and there reallyy isn't much he can do.

The Lions problems run way deeper than Dick Jauron and need to be pointed at Millen. Being born and living in the metro Detroit area, I'm glad the Lions lost last night. This team is poor excuse for an NFL franchise and there's NO signs of them getting any better any time soon.

They need to axe Millen and get a damn football guy in here to run the organization. This team is a Mickey Mouse squad and the laughing stock of the NFL. The Cardinals show more promise than the Lions!

Ambridge 12-12-2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
damn the lions didn't deserve to win one bit and i'm glad they got screwed, mayne wtf are they thinking running at the fat dude 4 straight times? and then trying to run at him with a midget qb? just stupid, i'm very glad they lost

Theismann and McGuire even commented that it was a dumb play call by the Lions to try a QB sneak up the middle on the Packers.

Two bad teams playing with an equally bad officiating crew.

Suitanim 12-12-2005 10:24 AM

There were worse calls yesterday...see "Chad Johnson" in the balst furnace.

SalukiSteelers 12-12-2005 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangpow
Hold on a second, there.

I'm no the biggest Dick Jauron fan, but you can't blame the teams offensive playcalling on him. He didn't put together the offensive staff, draft the players, or sign the FA's. All he is doing at this point is basically running the team with what has been thrown in his lap.

I understand that it's not Jauron's call on ALL the offensive plays, but you mean to tell me that the coach -- interim or not -- isn't the guy who makes the final decision on a fourth and goal? I think that if he's not, there's a huge problem there. And if he is, I'm sure he saw that Grady Jackson was not allowing anything to go through him, and he still tried to put it up the gut.

It was a wussy call that wasn't executed by a disappointing team. QB sneak? Who does he think he is, Marty Shottneheimer?