Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Browns have Schottenheimer on radar (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=29636)

El-Gonzo Jackson 12-07-2008 01:01 PM

Browns have Schottenheimer on radar

If Romeo Crennel is fired by the Browns, a familiar name to Cleveland fans could get a chance to return to coach the team.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

The Browns are looking very hard at bringing back Marty Schottenheimer to the place where he got his NFL head coaching start, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Schottenheimer has been out of coaching since he was fired by the Chargers after a 14-2 season in 2006.

His resume and his desire to coach a team with some playoff potential could entice him to return, even though he has not stated publicly he's ready to come back.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3752018

Dino 6 Rings 12-07-2008 02:35 PM

Re: Browns have Schottenheimer on radar

Its not a bad move for the Browns. I don't remember there being any staff infections when he was the coach. He will clean up things and get them heading in the right direction.

SteelCityMan786 12-07-2008 02:39 PM

Marty will fit perfectly in Browns Country.

St33lersguy 12-07-2008 03:54 PM

Smart move to hire the only coach other than Paul Brown that had success with the team, and that says something considering the fact that Bellicheater was coach ( unless he didn't cheat at Cleveland :chuckle:)

Steeler in Carolina 12-07-2008 03:55 PM

This would be a good hire. I can't believe SD let him go a couple of years ago.

xfl2001fan 12-07-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St33lersguy (Post 489155)
Smart move to hire the only coach other than Paul Brown that had success with the team, and that says something considering the fact that Bellicheater was coach ( unless he didn't cheat at Cleveland :chuckle:)

Bellicheat was a failure at Cleveland because of his piss poor attitude and coaches management. He was not able to manage players or his coaching staff effectively. He got better at it later on...plus finding better ways to skirt the rules.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool 12-07-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St33lersguy (Post 489155)

It was down to Belichick and Cowher in '91, and Art chose Belichick because The Chin was too much like Marty, :doh:. Stupid choice, and it still haunts the franchise to this day, but enough of that.

Belichick if Art had not moved the team had the team slowly going in the right direction, a couple of the Browns fans I know, who followed the team back then, said the Browns were even picked to contend for the AFC, of course after the announcement was made, the Browns flattened like a pancake.

Marty is a decent choice, it seems almost destiny some what, IF we can't the Chin here, which I don't think has been through out, because on the CBS pregame, him and Boomer easion were dropping hints.

It would kick ass if the Bill came in as head coach and Marty came in as hm an Bill trained Marty's son,, Brian as Bills eventual replacement and then Bill can get a job high up in the Brown, as president/VP.

I'm a dreamer though.

revefsreleets 12-07-2008 06:59 PM

Smoke. And it's working. The fans in Cleveland aren't going to accept the "same ole same ole". But I can understand why the Browns might launch a disinformation campaign, and I certainly see why Steelers fans would jump on board with it.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool 12-07-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 490240)
Smoke. And it's working. The fans in Cleveland aren't going to accept the "same ole same ole". But I can understand why the Browns might launch a disinformation campaign, and I certainly see why Steelers fans would jump on board with it.

Heard the same actually.

Its just sort of a hint that Cowher is being offered the job.

Again, the way he's acting on CBS and has not given a definitive answer and said "Wait it out 5 games", for the browns. Could be saying a lot.

Dino 6 Rings 12-08-2008 05:48 PM

Marty and Bill are pretty tight with each other so it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't working together to sweeten the pot for Bill.

Detroit would still be better for Bill. Zero expectations and more up side.