Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My keys to victory this week (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2997)

StillerPaul 12-15-2005 08:32 PM

My keys to victory this week

I posted this at SR too, figured i'd post it here as well. :cheers:

1: Use the pass to set up the run again. First down passes go a long way towards loosening up a D for us. Those screen plays and 3rd down completions last week helped us get the previously thought to be unbeatable Bears D back on their heals and show them that we are not a one dimensional team when we don't wanna be. We can do the same to the Vikes D, but even get more big plays IMO.

2: Get good pressure on Brad Johnson. We don't have to have alot of sacks, just obstruct his sight lines and force him to move a bit. He is a freakin' statue back there IMO.

3: We MUST have above average Punt and Kickoff coverage. We cannot let their ST unit factor into the game. They are on the fast carpet and one little mistake could lead to a costly TD if we're not on our toes IMO.

4: Our O-line MUST play at or near the level they played last week. I think they realize that if we are to get anywhere this season, Ben will have to remain healthy. Opening holes for the running game will be paramount to wearing down the Vikes HUGE D-line.

4: Play with our backs to the wall again. This mentality will not only give the players extra motivation to perform well, but it will also keep them grounded as well IMO.

5: GET OFF THE FREAKIN' FIELD ON 3RD DOWNS! Did i say that loud enough for someone to hear me? We can't allow big pass plays on 3rd downs anymore. This problem MUST be rectified.

Agree? Disagree? Feel free to add anything you guys feel as well.

Dook 12-15-2005 09:07 PM

Re: My keys to victory this week

I think the screens are the perfect way to use Willie P. but I don't know how many more we can run before the other teams recognize them and adjust.

The keys are the same ones people talk about every week: no turnovers, stop their run, and win the clock.

I would love to see us open it up a bit with the passing game but I just don't think Ben's thumb is well enough for it. So I think it comes down to the basic run game. Willie P. off tackle, up the middle here and there with Kreider in the lead. And mix in some down and out passes and quick draw slants.

I really hope we don't see that end around any more. That play scares the hell out of me because Ben has to go out and block. NO MAS!

TexaSteeler 12-15-2005 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillerPaul
I posted this at SR too, figured i'd post it here as well. :cheers:

2: Get good pressure on Brad Johnson. We don't have to have alot of sacks, just obstruct his sight lines and force him to move a bit. He is a freakin' statue back there IMO.

Pressure on the quarterback has been the achilles heel this year for the D. I can't believe how much time the opposing quarterback has. Teams are even picking up the corner blitzes pretty easily.

StillerPaul 12-15-2005 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexaSteeler
Pressure on the quarterback has been the achilles heel this year for the D. I can't believe how much time the opposing quarterback has. Teams are even picking up the corner blitzes pretty easily.

Yea, truth be told, i reallllllllllllly miss the 4-3 defense that was our tradition and staple back in the day. I just think that we can't mount a good passrush without it against many playoff O-lines. And not many top notch QB's are surprised or fooled by the "element of surprize" that LeBeau likes to utilize with our blitzs. Sometimes ya gotta line up and smash em' in the mouth, as Lambert and Mean Joe once said.

BB2W 12-15-2005 11:34 PM

I totally agree Paul, nice post...

BIGBENFASTWILLIE 12-16-2005 01:17 AM

My wish list for this sunday is that the offense protects Ben. No hits just like last week.
and steelers will come out on top......

Koopa 12-16-2005 01:57 AM

if we play like we did against da bears we are gonna win. the vikes are overrated and once we score first it'll be over even though they'll be in it the whole game cause we'll be running all day

SalukiSteelers 12-16-2005 12:34 PM

I think the 'O'-line and backs have to force their will on the Vikings defense, especially on first down. If Pittsburgh can put itself in second and medium - six yards or less - it opens up a ton of different opportunities for Ben and the receivers. Plus, it allows meaningful play-action passes on any down. If the Steelers can put the threat of the run in Minnesota's heads, regardless of down, the offense becomes that much more dangerous.

Special teams is huge as well. This is off the top of my head, but I think that Koren Robinson is averaging about 26 yards a kickoff return and I know he's taken at least one to the house. If the Steelers allow the Vikings to get short fields it plays in to the strength of their offense. Minnesota doesn't have what many would consider a "big play" passing game. The like short, controlled routes and drops and they try to dink and dunk their way down the field. If the Vikes have to use that style to move the ball 75 yards down the field to get in the endzone, it seems that Pittsburgh can get wise and stop it.

Minnesota seems to be middle of the road on offense and defense so it seems that the Steelers should have a real advantage, at least statistically, over them. Scoring early to get the crowd out of it will also be big. Since this is only Ben's second game in a dome and the Vikings' fans will be pumped since their team is still alive, not giving them a reason to get loud can't do anything but make him feel a lot more relaxed.

Here we go Steelers, here we go! Another NFC North winning streak snapped.

Oh yeah, I forgot this one: Ben is going to be interviewed at the end of the second hour of The Jungle. War Jungle Karma!

tony hipchest 12-16-2005 01:31 PM

never bet against the jungle karma. damn and i missed the interview. anything good?

SteelCityMan786 12-16-2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE
My wish list for this sunday is that the offense protects Ben. No hits just like last week.
and steelers will come out on top......

I'll take this.