Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   hot list of head-coach candidates from the assistant ranks (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=30143)

tony hipchest 12-18-2008 04:46 PM

hot list of head-coach candidates from the assistant ranks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Quote:

Pittsburgh's Mike Tomlin and Arizona's Ken Whisenhunt made their mark in 2007, their first season as head coaches. Atlanta's Mike Smith, Baltimore's John Harbaugh and Miami's Tony Sparano have their teams on the playoff doorstep in 2008, their rookie year. So when team owners look for new head coaches this offseason, expect them to duplicate the concept of hiring an innovative yet relatively inexperienced and inexpensive assistant to flip their franchise's fortunes.

So, what candidates should make the short list to become head coaches in 2009?

Well, Tomlin went to the Steelers when he was 36, making him the youngest of the five coaches mentioned, and Smith went to the Falcons when he was 49, making him the oldest, so being under 50 seems to fit the profile. Three of the five coaches were coordinators before taking over a team, with Sparano coming from an offensive line job and Harbaugh coming from a defensive back position, although he had been a special-teams coordinator.

Having a powerful influence earlier in their careers also seems to be a factor in the coach's rise to a top job. Mike Tomlin's roots were in the famed Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense, Whisenhunt had the Steelers' seal of approval, and Harbaugh learned organizational skills from the Eagles and defense from Jim Johnson. Sparano was a Bill Parcells disciple, and Smith had experience with tremendous defenses in Baltimore and Jacksonville.

With those factors in mind, here's my list of 10 candidates for head-coaching openings after this season ends:

1. Steve Spagnuolo
2. Josh McDaniels
3. Leslie Frazier
4. Jason Garrett
5. Raheem Morris
6. Jim Schwartz
7. Ron Rivera
8. Todd Haley
9. Brian Schottenheimer
10. Jeff Davidson

stillers4me 12-18-2008 04:50 PM

Re: hot list of head-coach candidates from the assistant ranks

No Bruce Arians????? :stirthepot:

KeiselPower99 12-18-2008 05:57 PM

I wonder if we can get Todd Haley as our OC.

devilsdancefloor 12-18-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 (Post 500871)
I wonder if we can get Todd Haley as our OC.

doesnt the cards throw the ball to much :stirthepot::noidea::wink02::chuckle:

lilyoder6 12-18-2008 06:29 PM

i doubt jason garrett will be on another team next yr... that deal he signed in the off-season was insane... and prob could be dallas next HC

RodWoodsonwasprettycool 12-18-2008 11:14 PM

If the Brownies HAVE to go the assistant route, I wouldn't mind getting Josh McDaniels. Guy could maybe help Quinn become a better QB.

He also grew up in NEOhio and I even played against a team his dad coached.

My list is however: Cowher and then Marty.

tony hipchest 12-18-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool (Post 501019)
If the Brownies HAVE to go the assistant route, I wouldn't mind getting Josh McDaniels. Guy could maybe help Quinn become a better QB.

THAT WOULD BE GREAT! :tt02:

due to "belichick regret" they have already failed trying to catch falling swords once (romeo). i'd love to see them do it again (another scrub patriots assistant- mcdaniels).

after all, charlie weiss did wonders for brady quinns career and has returned notre dame to...

he has resurrected that franchise to...

:noidea: well, notre dame pretty much sucks. :doh:

as for cowher/shottenheimer, john riggins made a great point today. the browns need somebody to turn their franchise around (ala bill parcells, who turned around the giants, patriots, jets, and now dolphins).

his point was that shotty was a better fit than cowher, because, like parcells, marty is a "professional turner a rounder".

marty turned around the browns, chiefs, almost washington, and san diego.

who has cowher turned around? sure, he brought pittsburgh back to the playoffs and elite franchise status, but its not like the steelers needed "turning around". its not like they were turning in 2-14, 3-13, 4-12 seasons year after year.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool 12-19-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 501026)
THAT WOULD BE GREAT! :tt02:

due to "belichick regret" they have already failed trying to catch falling swords once (romeo). i'd love to see them do it again (another scrub patriots assistant- mcdaniels).

after all, charlie weiss did wonders for brady quinns career and has returned notre dame to...

he has resurrected that franchise to...

:noidea: well, notre dame pretty much sucks. :doh:

as for cowher/shottenheimer, john riggins made a great point today. the browns need somebody to turn their franchise around (ala bill parcells, who turned around the giants, patriots, jets, and now dolphins).

his point was that shotty was a better fit than cowher, because, like parcells, marty is a "professional turner a rounder".

marty turned around the browns, chiefs, almost washington, and san diego.

who has cowher turned around? sure, he brought pittsburgh back to the playoffs and elite franchise status, but its not like the steelers needed "turning around". its not like they were turning in 2-14, 3-13, 4-12 seasons year after year.

Good points about McDaniels, hence why he's not my top choice as the new coach..But I think its rather slim pickens for us if Marty and Cowher both decline it.

Do agree with you and John Riggins about Marty, though I do want Cowher as our head man first and fore-most, I think having Marty back in any capacity would do wonders for the franchise. The only thing is..He can't get the "gleam". But for now, contending for the division and auctually making the playoffs seem better than just sitting around and waiting for draft day.

The dream scenario us Browns fans are all holding out for is, Bill getting the head coaching job and hiring Marty as the GM or some Front office gig, and Bernie Kosar auctually running the franchise business side of things.

steelreserve 12-19-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillers4me (Post 500823)
No Bruce Arians????? :stirthepot:

He'll probably go to the Raiders. That would be about par for everyone's course.

KeiselPower99 12-19-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool (Post 501019)

From Canton aint he? And his brother is an assistant for Canton McKinley if I remember correctly.