Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Pirates (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=30172)

T.Richardson 12-19-2008 12:06 PM

Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
Since there is no offseason thread, Im going to create one and keep it updated with Roster moves, signings, ect..

October 2008:

10/1/08 - Lanny Frattare retires after 30+ years of televsion and radio duties for the Buccos.

10/20/08 - Joe Kerrigan is hired to replace Jeff Andrews as the Pirates' fourth pitching coach in the past five years.

10/29/08 - John Van Benschoten. right-handers Marino Salas, Yoslan Herrera and Ronald Belisario removed from the 40-man roster.

10/30/08 - Jason Michaels, and Luis Rivas join the free agent pool.

November 2008:

11/7/08 - The Pirates filled the final vacancy in the Major League coaching staff on Friday, naming Perry Hill as the team's first-base coach for 2009.

- Chris Duffy leaves te Bucs, Evan Meeks added to the 40 man roster.

11/10/08 - Joe Ferrone named special assistant to GM.

11/20/08 - The Pirates added third baseman Neil Walker, outfielder Jose Tabata and right-hander Jeff Sues. Also added were catcher Steve Lerud and right-handed reliever Ronald Uviedo to the 40 man roster.

11/21/08 - Van Benschoten parts ways with the Bucs.

11/24/08 - Bucs sign two Indian hurlers.

- Hal Morris joins Bucs' scouting department.

December 2008:

12/3/08 - Marc DelPiano joins the organization as a special assistant. A Former special assignment scout with Boston.

12/4/08 - Dodgers interested in Wilson.

12/5/08 - Bucs send right-hander Jason Davis and catcher Raul Chavez to Triple-A Indianapolis.

- Left-hander Daniel Haigwood, who most recently pitched in the Red Sox farm system, and Maiko Loyola who played for the Rays' Class A Columbus sign a Minor League deal with Bucs.

12/8/08 - The Pirates sign right-hander Brian Slocum and outfielder Yohan Silva to Minor League contracts.

12/9/08 - Pirates looking at David Eckstein.

12/10/08 - Pirates acquire Jaramillo for Paulino

- Pitcher Jason Davis, and Catcher Raul Chavez opt for Free Agency.

- Pirates offer McLouth long term contract.

- Pirates interested in Marlins infielder Robert Andino.

12/11/08 - Pirates discussing whether or not to keep pitcher Denny Bautista.

- Pirates nab hard throwng pitcher Donnie Veal from rule 5 draft.

- Pirates negotiating a deal with Infielder Ramon Vazquez.

12/13/08 - Pirates opt not to sign Bautista, intend to sign him to minor league deal.

- Pirates sign Vazquez to 2 year deal.

12/15/08 - Pirates interested in former Orioles right handed pitcher Daniel Cabrera

12/18/08 - Pirates name Tim Neverett play by play announcer.

- Pirates close to signing Doumit to extension.

pittsburghp8baller 12-19-2008 01:19 PM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
i hope we do get doumit the extension. we dont exactly have depth at catcher as far as i know so we need that stability at catcher. any idea on who our top catcher in the system is? it was walker until we moved him to third, would it be that jaramillaro guy we traded for?

if we really do sign daniel cabrera we could get a pitcher with ACE potential for cheap hopefully. he a blazing fastball and a good slider but he couldnt hit a broad side of the barn most of the times. last year he had 90 BB 95 SO 18 HBP 15 WP in jus 180 IP.

kingkulsteel 12-19-2008 05:35 PM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
Man it is so depressing to look at our news.

warddj86 12-19-2008 05:35 PM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
huh i think eckstein would help us, not only from a performance standpoint but als from an experience standpoint, he's been to the playoffs, won a world series, and has been part of big games, something the other pirates haven't experienced since 1992.

T.Richardson 12-19-2008 06:13 PM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller (Post 501238)
i hope we do get doumit the extension. we dont exactly have depth at catcher as far as i know so we need that stability at catcher. any idea on who our top catcher in the system is? it was walker until we moved him to third, would it be that jaramillaro guy we traded for?

if we really do sign daniel cabrera we could get a pitcher with ACE potential for cheap hopefully. he a blazing fastball and a good slider but he couldnt hit a broad side of the barn most of the times. last year he had 90 BB 95 SO 18 HBP 15 WP in jus 180 IP.

He is the only other catcher the Pirates have. The farm system really sucks though, the only prospects we have is McCutchen, Tabata, Walker, Ford, Alvarez, Lincoln (coming off tommy john), and Morris, some of them have not done as expected (Walker, Ford, and Lincoln)

X-Terminator 12-19-2008 06:59 PM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Richardson (Post 501375)
He is the only other catcher the Pirates have. The farm system really sucks though, the only prospects we have is McCutchen, Tabata, Walker, Ford, Alvarez, Lincoln (coming off tommy john), and Morris, some of them have not done as expected (Walker, Ford, and Lincoln)

That's why the current administration is trying to infuse the team with young talent, but it's going to take some time. Bonifay and Littlebrain decimated the farm system and had terrible scouts. The jury is still out on Huntington and his scouting department, but I'm willing to give him some time because of his track record in Cleveland.

pittsburghp8baller 12-19-2008 08:25 PM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by warddj86 (Post 501352)
huh i think eckstein would help us, not only from a performance standpoint but als from an experience standpoint, he's been to the playoffs, won a world series, and has been part of big games, something the other pirates haven't experienced since 1992.

i would only think we would sign eckstein if we unloaded j wilson and needed a short-term until bixler or that other shortstop are ready to take over (or get as ready as they can get)

i agree that our farm system is crap, its kind of pittiful, but our top prospects def got to give us some hope. lincoln pitched pretty good his first year back from tommy john, i think he was mostly in AA or high A. hopefully Alvarez is ready quick we could use his bat, but of course i dont want him rush.

Pirates .500 or better in 2010!!!!!

warddj86 12-19-2008 08:31 PM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
Pirates 2009 Stats:

103-59
1st in NL Central
2nd in MLB (Yankees)
HR Leader: Nate McLouth (51)
SB Leader: Freddy Sanchez (31)
MVP: Nate McLouth
NL Manager of the Year: John Russell
Park of the Year: PNC Park
AL Manager of the Year: Joe Girardi
Playoff Results:

NLDS- Pirates 3, Phillies 1
NLCS- Pirates 4, Cubs 0
WS- Pirates 4, Yankees 2

Watch it happen, with the Steelers SB over the Panthers, we go back to 1979 and coin the term, "city of champions"

SteelCityMan786 12-19-2008 09:03 PM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by warddj86 (Post 501454)
Pirates 2009 Stats:

103-59
1st in NL Central
2nd in MLB (Yankees)
HR Leader: Nate McLouth (51)
SB Leader: Freddy Sanchez (31)
MVP: Nate McLouth
NL Manager of the Year: John Russell
Park of the Year: PNC Park
AL Manager of the Year: Joe Girardi
Playoff Results:

NLDS- Pirates 3, Phillies 1
NLCS- Pirates 4, Cubs 0
WS- Pirates 4, Yankees 2

Watch it happen, with the Steelers SB over the Panthers, we go back to 1979 and coin the term, "city of champions"

and we'll be blasting We Are Family again if that happens.

Remember folks though, there is an old saying about Winning/Losing by Mike Shanahan head coach of the Denver Broncos

"The More you keep losing, the closer you are to winning."

rbryan 12-20-2008 01:57 AM

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates Offseason Thread.
 
Hope you and Shanahan are right. If so the Pirates are closer to winning than anyone, but its pretty depressing when the best offseason aquisition is the new announcer. We don't have the salary budgeted for the entire team that the Yankees spent on the first two free agents...........BTW, they're just getting started.

No salary cap = no reason to watch baseball in da Burgh.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum