Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is Wal-mart Racist? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=32505)

SteelCityKing 01-27-2009 09:44 AM

Is Wal-mart Racist?

this is a funny story...nothing serious. =)

so, my girlfriend, who is a cashier at Wal-mart proceeded to tell me this story of what happened to her the other day at work. and it goes a little something like this...

an elderly man entered her aisle and was ready to ring up his items and he said my my girlfriend Valerie, note: he didn't even say "hi" or "how are you today?" he hopped right into a conversation with her by saying, "Wal-mart is racist!"

Valerie says (rolling her eyes), "oh yeah!? how so sir?"

he says, "i look around an all i see is Steelers stuff. Wal-mart is SO racist."

she comes back with, "well, sir, you ARE in Western Pennsylvania and you are bound to run into a few places that sell Steelers stuff this time of year." as she takes his money for his items.

he says, "well...i'm a Cowboys fan." (that's it...like he needed a pat on the back or something just for announcing it.)

Valerie replies, "OH! so you are one of THOSE people."

"excuse me?" says the man.

Valerie quips, "you're one of THOSE people who rooted for a horrible team all year long and now you have no one to root for so you are jealous and bitter! i'm sorry sir, but it really sucks to be you right now!" and with a smile she hands him back his change, "have a nice day. Go Steelers!"

the guy just walks away grumbling to himself.

true story.

================

man, i sure love that girl. she really stuck it to that pompous ass about taking pride in his team and trying it rub it in my girlfriends face. her managers at work pick on her about liking the Steelers. i can't wait to meet them and say, "hey! where are YOUR teams at in the playoffs this year!?" but i don't want to run my mouth too much...atleast not until after the Super Bowl. =)

KeiselPower99 01-27-2009 10:54 AM

Re: Is Wal-mart Racist?

That is awesome!!!!!!!

CB1977 01-27-2009 12:09 PM

I think my response to that man would have been, "I'm sorry for that."

She had a little more bolder approach than most people. My question is this, and I'm not trying to say what she said was wrong but, did she get reprimanded for talking to a paying customer like that? I worked in retail for over 15 years and, if any of the clerks were to talk to any customer like that, they would have been written up. Of course, the place I'm talking about was a little higher up than a WalMart but still, in most cases, they always teach you to treat the customers with respect, no matter what they say to you (unless they try to harm you physically).

Just saying....

RoethlisBURGHer 01-27-2009 12:15 PM

Hahahahaha!

I am still trying to figure out how selling Steelers stuff equals racism.

stillers4me 01-27-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB1977 (Post 544567)

She had a little more bolder approach than most people. My question is this, and I'm not trying to say what she said was wrong but, did she get reprimanded for talking to a paying customer like that? I worked in retail for over 15 years and, if any of the clerks were to talk to any customer like that, they would have been written up. Of course, the place I'm talking about was a little higher up than a WalMart but still, in most cases, they always teach you to treat the customers with respect, no matter what they say to you (unless they try to harm you physically).

Just saying....

I gotta agree here. I work in Cincinnati in a medical office and I hold my tongue each and every day. I would have been fired a long time ago if I spoke my true feelings about the Bengals. When a patient notices my Steelers earrings or socks, I just have to laugh and make funny with them. We have "spirit" day on Fridays and twice a year, when we play the Bengals, I wear a Steelers jersey. I just have some good natured fun with it. My docs would never let me do that if I showed disrespect towards the clientele.

Now.......my coworkers are a different story...........they know how I really feel. :chuckle:

kittenfantastico76 01-27-2009 02:43 PM

bwahahahahhahaha! Him complaining in a PA walmart about the amount of Steelers stuff is like me complaining about the amount of Alabama University and Auburn clothing at our Walmarts here in Alabama... giving them crap because there are NO pro-team things and or Maryland University stuff... some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining!

Good for your girlfriend!

kittenfantastico76 01-27-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Just saying....

I was going to say... seriously, maybe somewhere else, but we're talking Walmart, my guess is that his girlfriend being a cashier is probably way more qualified than the actual manager on duty. She could probably tell the manager what was what... then again maybe the manager is a huge Steelers fan and agreed completely... I know if I was.. I'd let it slide :wink:

JEFF4i 01-27-2009 03:10 PM

New Flash: Stupid Man Annoys Wal-Mart

1) The Steelers aren't a different race. Yes, we're a class of our own, one of the best franchises in sports history, but we're all the same race.

2) If you're in Western PA, be sensible. I live in Albuquerque, NM. Guess what I see? All Broncos, Boys, and Cardinals. Well, not all, New Mexico has a pretty large Steelers fanbase.

3) Who tries to instigate any sort of debate in Wallie World? I mean good grief!

fansince'76 01-27-2009 03:24 PM

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...2001/Woody.jpg

haha!

HometownGal 01-27-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Just saying....

AMEN. :drink:

I'm sorry, SCK, but if I was the manager, I would have fired your g/f on the spot. She is there to provide a service to the customer and accordingly, is expected to have a little thicker skin when dealing with customers, no matter how douchebag-ish they are.

When I'm doing an estate sale and am at the register, if I encounter a rude customer, I do what I can to neutralize the situation and when they are on their way out the door, I flip 'em the bird under the table while still smiling. :chuckle: