Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Steelers Experience (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Need some help (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=34032)

Big7BenHOF 02-22-2009 12:39 PM

Need some help
 
Hey,

For the past two years, my family and I have traveled out from California to Pittsburgh to go to a Steelers game each year for my birthday. However, it was fairly expensive and we're not sure if we can afford it this year. We might, however, be able to attend Training Camp in Latrobe this year. I have a few questions that I'd greatly appreciate some answers to.

1. When are the dates for camp announced?

2. How can I get access to tickets?

3. Where would I usually fly into?

4. What's the closest hotel?

5. Where are the areas in the camp to get autographs? :tt02:

Any information such as that would be helpful, seeing as that we're trying to get this trip planned as soon as we can. Thank you.

Big7BenHOF 02-23-2009 10:54 PM

Re: Need some help
 
Bump....

steelerchad 02-23-2009 11:50 PM

Re: Need some help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big7BenHOF (Post 568975)
Hey,

For the past two years, my family and I have traveled out from California to Pittsburgh to go to a Steelers game each year for my birthday. However, it was fairly expensive and we're not sure if we can afford it this year. We might, however, be able to attend Training Camp in Latrobe this year. I have a few questions that I'd greatly appreciate some answers to.

1. When are the dates for camp announced? Not sure, but I think the practices fans can go to are Mid July.
2. How can I get access to tickets? I went 3 years ago. No tickets, just show up with your camera. It was free then.
3. Where would I usually fly into? Pit is probably the cheapest from CA. It's about an hour from Latrobe. Latrobe does have an airport. (LBE) I believe Northwest goes there. If you can get on that you may have to do a double connect and it might be expensive, but it's almost walking distance to St. Vincent. I mean literally a mile.
4. What's the closest hotel? Probably, Mountain View Inn.5 minutes away. It's old and dated, but you should be able to get a room for under $100. If you want to stay about 10-15 minutes away you can stay in Greensburg or New Stanton. Probably can priceline a decent 2 or 3 star for $50-$60 a night.
5. Where are the areas in the camp to get autographs? :tt02: Not sure. They rope off the field. I know you can try to get the players as they leave the field.
Any information such as that would be helpful, seeing as that we're trying to get this trip planned as soon as we can. Thank you.

Lastly, Just my 2 cents. I think the biggest part of your spend on the trip would be the flight. I'm sure we'll have a monday night game this year based on winning the SuperBowl. You can get Monday night games for close to face value because many season ticket holders don't come in and take 2 days off work to go to the game.

I'd think about going to a game if your coming all that way. Training camp is nice, but there's nothing like a game.

4xSBChamps 02-24-2009 11:22 AM

Re: Need some help
 
Stiller camp is held at St. Vincent's College, outside Latrobe, and the facility is in the North/Western corner of the intersection of Rt. 30 & Rt. 981:
Arnold Palmer Regional Airport is located in the South/Western corner of the same intersection (terra-server is your friend), and I believe there are a few commuter flights from Greater Pitt each day, both-ways.

I was just up-there a week-ago, and believe I heard that Mountain View (half-way between Trobe and 'da Little Burg on Rt. 30) is closed/fore-closure, but there are several decent places to stay in Greensburg along Rt. 30, along with several places to eat (Sharky's is behind the Chevrolet dealer, across Rt. 981 from StV, in the North/Eastern corner of the intersection):
if you are that-close, you might wanna visit Canton & the HoF, which is probably 2-3 hours away.

steelerchad 02-24-2009 11:28 AM

Re: Need some help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps (Post 569834)
Stiller camp is held at St. Vincent's College, outside Latrobe, and the facility is in the North/Western corner of the intersection of Rt. 30 & Rt. 981:
Arnold Palmer Regional Airport is located in the South/Western corner of the same intersection (terra-server is your friend), and I believe there are a few commuter flights from Greater Pitt each day, both-ways.

I was just up-there a week-ago, and believe I heard that Mountain View (half-way between Trobe and 'da Little Burg on Rt. 30) is closed/fore-closure, but there are several decent places to stay in Greensburg along Rt. 30, along with several places to eat (Sharky's is behind the Chevrolet dealer, across Rt. 981 from StV, in the North/Eastern corner of the intersection):
if you are that-close, you might wanna visit Canton & the HoF, which is probably 2-3 hours away.


Wow. If Mountain View is closed I'm surprised. I grew up in Greensburg and we actually had our 20th reunion there over Thanksgiving a couple months ago. My wife and I stayed there. That place has been there forever. The rooms were pretty old and run down, but the bar area had a pretty big crowd.

4xSBChamps 02-24-2009 11:47 AM

Re: Need some help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerchad (Post 569838)
Wow. If Mountain View is closed I'm surprised. I grew up in Greensburg.....

Me, too (GSHS, Class of '77), but that's what my Mom told me (Mountain View went belly-up) when I was in-town immediately following SB XLIII, but I didn't drive-past it to see for myself:
Sheraton / 4 Points, across from Westmoreland Mall on Rt. 30, still has a healthy crowd at the lounge, and live tunes Friday & Saturdays, too.

steelerchad 02-24-2009 05:17 PM

Re: Need some help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps (Post 569845)
Me, too (GSHS, Class of '77), but that's what my Mom told me (Mountain View went belly-up) when I was in-town immediately following SB XLIII, but I didn't drive-past it to see for myself:
Sheraton / 4 Points, across from Westmoreland Mall on Rt. 30, still has a healthy crowd at the lounge, and live tunes Friday & Saturdays, too.

I went to Hempfield, Class of 88.
I get back for a few games each year.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum