Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=34764)

Galax Steeler 03-23-2009 07:33 AM

Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
KFFL posted an item late Sunday saying that the website has "learned" the Lions will take Baylor LT Jason Smith with the No. 1 pick in the draft.
KFFL is usually very accurate, but it rarely reports anything and there are no sources cited. It's also still over a month away from the draft, leaving plenty of room for skepticism. That the Lions have begun contract talks with their No. 1 pick to be makes it possible, however, that they've settled on Smith. He is probably willing to take a deal only slightly larger than Jake Long's. Mar. 22 - 10:55 pm et

Sorry this is all I have

Dylan 03-23-2009 09:16 AM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
im not denying that, but it is way to early to determine that, if i were the lions i would take my time with this pick, it could really impact the direction they are going.

if i were them, they have 2 first round picks (1 and 20), i would take matthew stafford with their first pick and grab michael oher with their 20th pick..

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-23-2009 09:57 AM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 582195)
im not denying that, but it is way to early to determine that, if i were the lions i would take my time with this pick, it could really impact the direction they are going.

if i were them, they have 2 first round picks (1 and 20), i would take matthew stafford with their first pick and grab michael oher with their 20th pick..

Yeah, like drafting Joey Harrington worked out pretty badly for the Lions, just like drafting Alex Smith got Mike Nolan run out of San Francisco too. Jim Schwartz is smarter than that and already hinted so.

Schwartz made this analogy about playing the safer bet and in this years draft it is O lineman instead of Stafford. Good move for the Lions if they do it.

“In my 16 years, this is my first exposure to it, and hopefully it’s my last,” Schwartz said of having the No. 1 pick. He then compared the situation to gambling — always a wise move, coach — buy likening the No. 1 pick to playing black jack at the $5,000 tables in Las Vegas.

The analogy works, though. You can mess up a couple of times at a $100 table. It’ll hurt, sure. But make a mistake when the stakes are high, and it’s a major disaster.


http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/02/

atlsteelers 03-23-2009 11:28 AM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
you can always look at the miami dolphins last season though, they took the safe pick and matt ryan was starting a playoff game for the falcons. chad henne could still become a heck of a qb but i think they missed on ryan. time will tell. taking a qb first is a huge gamble but sometimes i think it may be the franchises more than the players. if its a losing franchise it takes a really special player to overcome the ineptness.

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-23-2009 11:59 AM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by atlsteelers (Post 582243)
you can always look at the miami dolphins last season though, they took the safe pick and matt ryan was starting a playoff game for the falcons. chad henne could still become a heck of a qb but i think they missed on ryan. time will tell. taking a qb first is a huge gamble but sometimes i think it may be the franchises more than the players. if its a losing franchise it takes a really special player to overcome the ineptness.

Yeah, but the difference is that Matt Ryan and BC ran a pro style offense, ran by former and now current NFL OC Jeff Jagodzinski. Most thought it was amazing how Ryan could post those kind of numbers with "mediocre talent".

"Those Boston College receivers that he was throwing to, there's not a lot of talent there," he said. "It tells me that Matt Ryan must be a pretty impressive leader, a pretty impressive kid to have won 11 games this year with some mediocre talent around him. http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2008/03...day-stuff.html

Stafford on the other hand was surrounded by talent, but wasnt that impressive. I think if it was last year, Stafford ranks behind Ryan, Flacco and Henne. This year is just a weak QB draft class.......so it makes sense to go BPA.

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-23-2009 12:02 PM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
While some reports claim Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford's pro-day workout established him as potentially the first pick of the draft, it is not an opinion shared by all. Sources have told SI.com that Stafford was trying to show off his arm strength on Thursday and in doing so was inaccurate on a number of deep outs, the money throw for quarterbacks in these types of workouts. And while he was generally accurate throughout the session, receivers were required to leave their feet several occasions to grab a few errant passes from the air. They were not huge issues, rather dissenting points from those who feel Stafford needed to do more before being anointed as the draft's top selection.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

revefsreleets 03-23-2009 12:19 PM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
Matt Stafford is Ryan Leaf WITHOUT the gaudy college numbers.

He isn't a headcase though, so he may be a servicable NFL QB.

atlsteelers 03-23-2009 03:38 PM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 582256)
Yeah, but the difference is that Matt Ryan and BC ran a pro style offense, ran by former and now current NFL OC Jeff Jagodzinski. Most thought it was amazing how Ryan could post those kind of numbers with "mediocre talent".

"Those Boston College receivers that he was throwing to, there's not a lot of talent there," he said. "It tells me that Matt Ryan must be a pretty impressive leader, a pretty impressive kid to have won 11 games this year with some mediocre talent around him. http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2008/03...day-stuff.html

Stafford on the other hand was surrounded by talent, but wasnt that impressive. I think if it was last year, Stafford ranks behind Ryan, Flacco and Henne. This year is just a weak QB draft class.......so it makes sense to go BPA.

CMR does run a prostyle offense - although he does not aspire to actually coach at the pro-ranks like jags did. mathew was frustrating at times watching him play but i really think he will be a franchise qb at the next level. as far as the talent that was around stafford last year? he played on a team that lost 18 players for the season due to injuries so he was playing with a sophmore at left takle (Clint Boling),a true freshman left guard (Cordy Glenn), a true freshman center (Ben Jones), redshirt sophomore right guard (Chris Davis) and redshirt sophomore right tackle (Josh Davis). Stafford had a ton of talent at the skill positions but uga's offensive line would have willie colon looking like a hall of famer. so i think stafford's ability to play behind such a young and inexpeirenced offensive line was a great credit to him.

i think stafford is a better talent than all of the qbs in last years draft - but hey i watched him play on saturdays and i am i am very biased.

anyhow - if it was my team i would draft a qb.

lilyoder6 03-23-2009 05:53 PM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
well u alrdy know the lions have there person they want to draft, as they are alrdy in contract negotiations with that player

Dylan 03-23-2009 06:00 PM

Re: Lions no.1 pick Jason Smith
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 582201)
Yeah, like drafting Joey Harrington worked out pretty badly for the Lions, just like drafting Alex Smith got Mike Nolan run out of San Francisco too. Jim Schwartz is smarter than that and already hinted so.

Schwartz made this analogy about playing the safer bet and in this years draft it is O lineman instead of Stafford. Good move for the Lions if they do it.

i see where you are coming from, but name one player that harrington or smith had to look up to..they came in right away and started.....stafford could sit out a year and learn from none other than daunte culpepper...then get their tackle for the next decade in oher


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum