Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Kirwan Mach 5.0 (with round 2) (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=34897)

tony hipchest 03-28-2009 03:40 PM

Kirwan Mach 5.0 (with round 2)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

Quote:

Spending the better part of the week at the NFL Annual Meeting provided another set of clues as to what teams were thinking for the draft. My Sirius Radio show partner, Tim Ryan, and I interviewed 13 head coaches, 12 general managers and four owners at the meetings.

Club officials were not going to come right out and say who they wanted to select, but they were able to talk about what is important to them. As one GM said, "We will not be taking one player with any off-the-field issues." Another GM said, "We have to get bigger on defense, especially at the linebacker position." The Lions want their first pick signed before the draft, so that will be a determining factor.

I feel like I'm getting closer to what may actually happen on April 25, but there is still time left and a few critical pro days to finish up. I have completed an eight-game film study of Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman, and I have a much better feel for what they are all about and where they might fit in the draft. I also got a chance to watch tape of every one of Knowshon Moreno's runs last season, as well as looking at two tapes for each of the top five offensive tackles in the draft.

Here's a look at my latest mock draft, version 5.0, as well as what each team might do in the second round. The order is different in the second round, so the selection number is indicated next to the pick.
in this version beatty, britton and mack are all sitting there for the taking. this is his first mock he doesnt have us taking j. gilbert-
Quote:

32. Steelers Eben Britton OT Arizona
The Steelers need offensive-line help, and they will be surprised if Britton falls to them. If he doesn't, Michael Oher just might.
Second round: No. 64, Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon

the 2 teams i see helping their immediate problems the most in this version are cincy taking andre smith and then landing alex mack (wow) and denver helping convert to a 3-4 with bj raji and then jarron gilbert in the second.

lamberts-lost-tooth 03-28-2009 04:10 PM

Re: Kirwan Mach 5.0 (with round 2)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 584403)
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

in this version beatty, britton and mack are all sitting there for the taking. this is his first mock he doesnt have us taking j. gilbert-the 2 teams i see helping their immediate problems the most in this version are cincy taking andre smith and then landing alex mack (wow) and denver helping convert to a 3-4 with bj raji and then jarron gilbert in the second.

I like Byrd...but if Wood is available at #64...I would love the Britton/Wood combo on the first day

tony hipchest 03-28-2009 04:20 PM

hes got mack beatty and wood going right in a row at the top of round 2 (starting w/ the bungs).

sounds about right.

LLT werent you looking at samson satelle last year? any idea why we didnt show any interest in trading for him from miami?

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-28-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 584420)
hes got mack beatty and wood going right in a row at the top of round 2 (starting w/ the bungs).

sounds about right.

LLT werent you looking at samson satelle last year? any idea why we didnt show any interest in trading for him from miami?

But the Dolphins were concerned about the way Satele was pushed around by some nose tackles, and that is why they signed former Raider Jake Grove to a five-year, $29 million deal on March 3.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,3703631.story

El-Gonzo Jackson 03-28-2009 04:46 PM

Hey Tony, who is left on the board in the 3rd round as a DE in Pats mock?? Alex Maggee from Purdue??

I hope if we go OT, CB......that we address D line with the #3 pick and then go back to a guard in the 4th like Vasquez or Ray Feinga.

tony hipchest 03-28-2009 04:50 PM

ok... and if he isnt going to hold up in the afc east, he certainly isnt going to hold up in the afc north (i see where satele was amongst the top ot that list of sacks given up by centers that MOP posted.

so, what do you guys working on the sf concensus draft feel if beatty, britton, and mack are still there.

would britton start at RT and move colon inside?

britton to LT his second year allowing Hills 1 more year to develop at RT.

young line set for the future?

tony hipchest 03-28-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 584428)
Hey Tony, who is left on the board in the 3rd round as a DE in Pats mock?? Alex Maggee from Purdue??

I hope if we go OT, CB......that we address D line with the #3 pick and then go back to a guard in the 4th like Vasquez or Ray Feinga.

yeah, he wasnt taken. miola was taken by the colts 5 spots ahead of us in the 2nd giving them him and laurinitus in the 1st.

he has no other DT's taken (or real DE's) in the 2nd round. alot of DE/LB hybrids though.

lamberts-lost-tooth 03-28-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 584420)

sounds about right.

I dont know if anyone even knew that Satelle was tradebait....He would be a good fit in black and gold....super strong anchor...but not overly athletic...I wouldnt have given alot for him...but would give him a chance to prove himself here

lamberts-lost-tooth 03-28-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 584431)

so, what do you guys working on the sf concensus draft feel if beatty, britton, and mack are still there.

I take Britton over the other two for a couple of reasons....1) I still think we can get Wood at #64....2) Britton is more NFL ready than Beatty (though Beatty may end up being a better OT in the long run after a couple years in a NFL weight program)

I say that...but also realize that Hartwig is only signed through 2009...soooooo I would still be happy to get Mack at #32 if Britton is gone.

Aussie_steeler 03-28-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 584431)

would britton start at RT and move colon inside?

britton to LT his second year allowing Hills 1 more year to develop at RT.

young line set for the future?

I think they would jump all over Britton and then move towards picking up Shipley in the 4th. Britton would need some work on his run blocking so I dont think he starts in his first year. THat leaves Britton and Hills to compete for the starting RT job in 2010 ( Britton should win hands down) and I am guessing that Starks lands a long term contract. If the need ever arises I think you could easily interchange Starks and Britton between the left and right tackle positions. The steelers have the same line for next season regardless of what happens in the draft. The only vague posibility of a change to the O line is if Mack or Wood are drafted and they beat out Stapleton for the RG spot.

there would have to be multiple combinations being planned for that will land at least 2 O linemen. The ones I see immediately are:

Scenario 1 would revolve around Alex Mack being the pick. Then best OT or OG where available
Scenario 2 would then make Eric Wood the pick. Then best OT or OG where available
Scenario 3 would be the bonus pick of one of the first round OT's falling and addressing OC later ( Shipley, Luigs, Caldwell ???)
Scenario 4 would be that Oher or Britton are still on the board before the Eagles pick at #27 ( Indy) and the steelers trade up. ( not likely)

It is also interesting to see that Kirwan has Brandon Pettigrew falling to 42 and Michael Johnson falling to 55.