Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Pirates (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=34929)

pittsburghp8baller 03-30-2009 08:31 PM

2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

i figured if the Indians have one, the Pirates should get one too.

They sent McCutchen to AAA today, not surprising despite his real good spring. According to management he hasnt quite mastered the final things they want him to before he gets the call up. One was being able to use the bunt as offensive weapon and to drive the gap a little more.

The biggest reason they sent him down i think though is jus to delay arbitration for another year

Team has looked good, i have been able to see a couple of there games on TV. strong pitching and a good middle of the lineup.

might not be this year, but i can feel we are REAL close to turning this around.

PisnNapalm 03-30-2009 08:38 PM

Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

"Oh no!! We suck again!"

Will there be any chance of a winning season?

pittsburghp8baller 03-30-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PisnNapalm (Post 585063)
"Oh no!! We suck again!"

Will there be any chance of a winning season?

i think after the Rays had the season they did last year, anything is a possible. while i dont think we are as good as the Rays were last year, i do think we have the same make up and that dont sleep on them.

i can only say, hang in there dont lose faith, we are SO CLOSE.

ShutDown24 03-30-2009 09:33 PM

I would love to experience winning baseball for once in my life. I really hope the Pirates can have just a good season sometime soon. The last time the team was any good I was a toddler. Hopefully the team can keep improving this year! At least with the newer management we have more reason to be optimistic than we did previously.

SteelCityMan786 03-30-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDown24 (Post 585076)
I would love to experience winning baseball for once in my life. I really hope the Pirates can have just a good season sometime soon. The last time the team was any good I was a toddler. Hopefully the team can keep improving this year! At least with the newer management we have more reason to be optimistic than we did previously.

I was an infant at that time. So, it could be worse.

pittsburghp8baller 03-30-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 (Post 585079)
I was an infant at that time. So, it could be worse.

i was three, four by season end the last time we had a winning season. so obviously i was too young to take in the last time id see a winning season. i think i can some what draw up memories from watching the game, i watched it cause my dad and godfather both traveled to Atlanta some of the games

KeiselPower99 03-30-2009 10:09 PM

I do hope the Pirates do something this year. Losing that long is crazy. Is it cool with everyone if I start a WV Power thread?? I mean since they are the A ball team now for the Buccos. Keep yall up to date on the young n's ya know?

pittsburghp8baller 03-30-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 (Post 585085)
I do hope the Pirates do something this year. Losing that long is crazy. Is it cool with everyone if I start a WV Power thread?? I mean since they are the A ball team now for the Buccos. Keep yall up to date on the young n's ya know?

go right ahead, id love to hear how they are doing, thats there low A club right? i know im gonna be going to some lynchburg games when they Potomac since i live near where they play so i can see Pedro Alvarez

hindes204 03-31-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller (Post 585083)
i was three, four by season end the last time we had a winning season. so obviously i was too young to take in the last time id see a winning season. i think i can some what draw up memories from watching the game, i watched it cause my dad and godfather both traveled to Atlanta some of the games

i was a little young too, but old enough to remember the killer B's...and old enough to remember sid bream sliding into home :banging:

X-Terminator 03-31-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller (Post 585060)
i figured if the Indians have one, the Pirates should get one too.

They sent McCutchen to AAA today, not surprising despite his real good spring. According to management he hasnt quite mastered the final things they want him to before he gets the call up. One was being able to use the bunt as offensive weapon and to drive the gap a little more.

The biggest reason they sent him down i think though is jus to delay arbitration for another year

Team has looked good, i have been able to see a couple of there games on TV. strong pitching and a good middle of the lineup.

might not be this year, but i can feel we are REAL close to turning this around.

Of course they sent McCutchen down for financial reasons, because God forbid the Pirates' owners end up having shell out more than a couple of bucks to keep some talent around. :coffee: Really, there is absolutely NO reason why he should be starting at AAA, especially not behind Nyjer friggin Morgan. Maybe he'll be back when they finally realize that Morgan is nothing more than a bench player and occasional starter at best, and a career minor leaguer at worst.

Having said that, even I would be stupid to not acknowledge that the Bucs have some talent waiting in the wings. Lots of it. And most of them are either major-league ready now (A. McCutchen, Bixler) or are close (Walker, Pearce, Jones, Ford, Tabata, Alvarez, Daniel McCutchen, Lincoln). They drafted the top SS prospect last year along with Alvarez, and with another top 5 draft pick this year, they'll add even more talent. Even with the improved starting pitching, they won't win this season, but next season...look out. They are on the verge of finally turning things around.