Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NCAA Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ain't no football fans like BUCKEYE football fans! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35509)

revefsreleets 04-27-2009 08:23 AM

Ain't no football fans like BUCKEYE football fans!

Almost 96,000 for the Spring game...and it looks like the offseason did Pryor some good...

http://news-herald.com/articles/2009...s/nh808755.txt

By Mike Perry
Journal Register News Service
COLUMBUS How popular is Ohio State Football in the state? More than 95,000 people showed up to Ohio Stadium for the annual spring game, surpassing the national spring game attendance record set by Alabama in 2007.

That season, 93,138 Crimson Tide fans showed up to see newly-hired Alabama coach Nick Saban's squad in its spring game. Though numerous schools took aim at breaking the national spring game attendance record last year, that record stood until Saturday, when 95,722 jammed into Ohio Stadium to see the Terrelle Pryor-led Gray team dominate the Scarlet squad.

"Kudos to our fans for 95,000 coming out, beautiful day, and gives you a little bit of electricity and energy and a little reminder of how much interest there is in Ohio State football," Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel said. "Hopefully they had a great day and a fun day. I think sometimes the thing that helps you is being distracted. When you get to a game like this with all those people, all those sounds and everything going on, all those potential distractions, you have to focus through them."
Starting quarterback Pryor was surprised at the crowd.

"That was amazing, it felt like a game, a regular game coming out here on a Saturday," he said. "It's impressive that people feel that way about us."

Senior running back Marcus Williams was taking part in his fifth spring game (he was red-shirted as a freshman). He appreciated the fans showing their support.

"That makes us feel good to know we have that many people to come out here, on a beautiful Saturday where they could be doing all these different things," he said. "But they wanted to come out and watch us scrimmage. That makes us feel good as players."

Freshman Storm Klein, who graduated early from Licking Valley High School to be able to participate in spring practice, said the crowd really made him feel like a part of the program.

"It was breathtaking, when I walked out I got the chills," he said. "I understand it was just a practice, but it was just like a game to me. I've never played in front of that many people, it was so cool. I was a Buckeye today."

Pryor put up impressive passing numbers in the spring game, connecting on a pair of deep passes late in the second quarter. He retired after three quarters and was 13-of-18 for 191 yards and two scores.

Pryor was not facing a bunch of reserves, either. Eight of the 11 Ohio State starters, according to the depth chart, were on the Scarlet team. This included stating defensive linemen Dexter Larrimore, Doug Worthington and Thaddeus Gibson (Euclid).

Not surprisingly, Pryor started to take command of the game in the second quarter after shedding the black do-not-hit jersey and slipping on his normal gray No. 2.

In the first quarter Pryor was 3-for-5 for 33 yards and rushed two times for minus-3 yards. After the black jersey came off, he was 10-for-13 passing for 158 yards and two touchdowns.

(That's against the starting D, which is still going to be one of the better defenses in the country despite losing several stars)

As for those who question his throwing ability, it makes no difference to Pryor.

"I have no idea who it is and I really don't care," he said. "We're going to just keep working hard. We don't care about the critics, the analysts and people saying things about us. I wanted to prove I can throw the ball and that's what I was able to do today."

After Pryor hit Ray Small for a 42-yard touchdown with one second remaining in the first half, he ran in front of the Scarlet team's sideline taunting his counterparts. He continued jawing in the third quarter as his Gray team put the game away, before resting in the fourth.

Tressel had a humorous back-and-forth with the media following the game.

"He was ejected, right Doug," Tressel said to defensive lineman Worthington, who was on the losing Scarlet team, when asked why Pryor did not play in the fourth quarter.

"Sure was," Worthington replied.

"He was talking trash and got ejected, right?" Tressel continued.

"By you?" a reporter asked.

"Yeah," Tressel replied.

"You tossed him?" the reporter continued.

"Tossed him. Tired of his stuff," Tressel replied.

xfl2001fan 04-27-2009 10:13 AM

Re: Ain't no football fans like BUCKEYE football fans!

I had a couple of buddies at the game and they said that Pryor looked so much better than even at the end of last season. I am so looking forward to this season.

xXTheSteelKingsXx 04-27-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfl2001fan (Post 597647)
I had a couple of buddies at the game and they said that Pryor looked so much better than even at the end of last season. I am so looking forward to this season.

Yeah I was at the game and Pryor was hitting the post route to Small and Washington beautifully. He appears to be developing nicely.

On another note, Gibson and Wilson lived in the backfield on Saturday. Can't wait to see that pass rushing duo along with Hayward this season.

xfl2001fan 04-27-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx (Post 598218)
Yeah I was at the game and Pryor was hitting the post route to Small and Washington beautifully. He appears to be developing nicely.

On another note, Gibson and Wilson lived in the backfield on Saturday. Can't wait to see that pass rushing duo along with Hayward this season.

Man I envy you. I was in and out of the hospital with the wife. Now, with this "swine flu" scare, the doctors are telling her to labor at home for as long as possible. When her water breaks, she averages less than 10 minute of labor. The nearest hospital (Mt Carmel East) is 15 minutes away. This should be interesting.

revefsreleets 04-28-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx (Post 598218)

Lawrence Wilson went to the same HS as LeBron. He is a beast, and if we can keep him healthy, he's yet another Buckeye sure to be taken in the first rd of next years draft.

I'm surprised he played, though...he was still supposed to be recovering from an ACL and not allowed to participate in any contact this Spring.

revefsreleets 05-03-2009 11:08 AM

Congrats, by the way, to Chris Spielman on making the College Football HOF!

xfl2001fan 05-03-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 601083)
Congrats, by the way, to Chris Spielman on making the College Football HOF!

Here Here!:drink: