Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Draft Steals (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35513)

lamberts-lost-tooth 04-27-2009 12:15 PM

Draft Steals

Are there any players that your were surprised to see fall into the later rounds?

What player do you think was gift wrapped and handed to a team on the second day?
I think the obvious is the Bears getting DE Gilbert in the third, but my draft steal is going to the Jaguars in selecteing Rashad Jennnings the 6'1" 231lb RB out of Liberty with the 41st pick in the 7th round.

Quote:

In three seasons at Liberty, Jennings set the league career records for yards gained rushing (3,633), placing second all-time for touchdown runs (42), rushing yardage average (5.74), rushing attempts (633) and all-purpose yardage (4,155). He also established a Big South mark with four games with at least three touchdown runs.

As a senior, he broke the Big South single-season records for most rushing attempts (263), most touchdown runs (17), most yards rushing (1,500) and best rushing average (136.36 ypg). His 1,690 all-purpose yards in 2008 rank second in league season annals (third with a 153.64 ypg average) while his average of 154.33 all-purpose yards per game in 2007 also placed second on that list.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profil...nings?id=71345

I think this kid is going to have an impact this year on the Jags.

Who else do you have?

19ward86 04-27-2009 01:21 PM

Re: Draft Steals

Rashad Jennings was projected as a late 1st- early 2nd round pick pre-draft so that is a steal no matter how you look at it. Gilbert was the 2nd biggest steal following Orakbo. Orakbo might of been the best player in the draft, he benches 515 lbs and has a 40 inch verticle!!! That is barely realistic lol.

I though the Steelers getting Shipley in the 7th is also ridiculous, i understand his arms are only 29 inches but the best center being drafted that late is crazy. A steal that happened after the draft went to the Vikings, Ian Johnson of Boise State was signed as a free agent, this kid was crazy good in college and should of been drafted.

baronvonheil 04-27-2009 01:30 PM

Sir you are very much on point. Gotta tell you it looks like the NFL had there collective heads of there asses this year. Rashard Jennings looks like the next Eddie George to me, he'll be a wonderful complement to Maurice Jones-Drew, instant impact. My guess is he fell due to a slow 40 at the combine (4.67) but the Chargers drafted Gartrell Johnson in round 4 and he ran a 4.81.

Shipley for us in round 7 another great steal of the draft candidate. I think he can start for us down the road.

But to me the biggest oversight was Dudley Guice, who the Titans got as a UDFA. Sorry but this guy is the real deal. He has was very smart to sign with the Titans, I mean where else would he have a better chance to win a starting job fighting the uphill climb as a UDFA, their receivers suck. I think he'll be better than Britt who they drafted in round 1.

tony hipchest 04-27-2009 04:05 PM

the patriots just acquired the entire 2nd round of next years draft...

seiously though i thought the eagles cleaned up getting maclin and landing the patriots other cb for only 2 5ths, to pair w/ a samuel.

i thought oher was a steal.

i liked the video posted of guice. he looked like a really good sleeper project.

55BaileyFan 04-27-2009 06:07 PM

Carolina Panthers No. 163, Round 5: Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

lamberts-lost-tooth 04-27-2009 07:43 PM

I think OG Trevor Canfield fell to round 7...I had him as a 3rd round prospect on my board.

Dylan 04-27-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan (Post 598027)
Carolina Panthers No. 163, Round 5: Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

yep completely agree, i thought he would be a 2nd to 3rd round pick

El-Gonzo Jackson 04-27-2009 11:51 PM

I am curious to know what the Steelers didnt like about Eben Britton. My projected 1st 3 rounds for the Steelers were

Britton
Jarron Gilbert
Donald Washington

We could have done that and still ended up with Duke Robinson later, which would have given us 2 solid O line picks, a DE many think was a steal by Chicago in the 3rd and a solid CB. They must have not liked Brittons attitude or arm length.

ShutDown24 04-28-2009 12:25 AM

I honestly think Hood was a steal for us at 32.

Jaron Gilbert was by far the biggest steal in the draft in my opinion.

BehindSteelCurtain 04-28-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDown24 (Post 598311)
I honestly think Hood was a steal for us at 32.

Jaron Gilbert was by far the biggest steal in the draft in my opinion.

Gilbert you think? I don't think he is that good. Everyone just assumes he is good becuase he can jump out of a pool.