Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Arlen Specter = proven idiot (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35557)

trauben 04-28-2009 11:55 AM

Arlen Specter = proven idiot

Quote:

Arlen Specter Statement on Switching Parties
Posted:
04/28/09

Sen. Arlen Specter has just announced in his Washington Senate office that he will switch from the Republican Party to the Democratic Party. His move gives Democrats 59 votes in the Senate....

Specter put out the following statement today:

I have been a Republican since 1966. I have been working extremely hard for the Party, for its candidates and for the ideals of a Republican Party whose tent is big enough to welcome diverse points of view. While I have been comfortable being a Republican, my Party has not defined who I am. I have taken each issue one at a time and have exercised independent judgment to do what I thought was best for Pennsylvania and the nation.

Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans.

When I supported the stimulus package, I knew that it would not be popular with the Republican Party. But, I saw the stimulus as necessary to lessen the risk of a far more serious recession than we are now experiencing.

Since then, I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania.

I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary.

I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election.

I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides. I thank specially Senators McConnell and Cornyn for their forbearance.

I am not making this decision because there are no important and interesting opportunities outside the Senate. I take on this complicated run for re-election because I am deeply concerned about the future of our country and I believe I have a significant contribution to make on many of the key issues of the day, especially medical research. NIH funding has saved or lengthened thousands of lives, including mine, and much more needs to be done. And my seniority is very important to continue to bring important projects vital to Pennsylvania's economy.

I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in preparation for that election. Upon request, I will return campaign contributions contributed during this cycle.

While each member of the Senate caucuses with his Party, what each of us hopes to accomplish is distinct from his party affiliation. The American people do not care which Party solves the problems confronting our nation. And no Senator, no matter how loyal he is to his Party, should or would put party loyalty above his duty to the state and nation.

My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords' switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change.

Whatever my party affiliation, I will continue to be guided by President Kennedy's statement that sometimes Party asks too much. When it does, I will continue my independent voting and follow my conscience on what I think is best for Pennsylvania and America.
How dare he use the part I quote up above in red as a "sign of the times!" :mad:

I was one of those 200,000 PA Republicans who "switched" to Democrat, but that was FOR THE PRIMARY VOTE IDIOT! We switched to vote for Hillary and to try to swing this state for McCain! How about mentioning the number of Dems who used to be Reps who switched back AFTER the primaries were over? :banging:

I have never liked this guy. Talk about a sell out. :pity:

PisnNapalm 04-28-2009 01:03 PM

Re: Arlen Specter = proven idiot

F-H I M !!!

He knows he's out on his ass if he tries to run on the GOP ticket. So now he'll try to squeak in as a Dem?? F-HIM

trauben 04-28-2009 01:11 PM

Don't be shy, tell us how you really feel PisnNapalm! :wink02:

But you have to admit, he's acted more like a Dem all these years anyway. It's about time he shows his true colors.

rbryan 04-28-2009 01:19 PM

Next he'll be switching to a patsie fan.

PisnNapalm 04-28-2009 01:25 PM

This is the letter I fired off to his office after reading about his switch.

Quote:

Dear Soon to be just Mr. Specter,

Well it's about damn time you showed your true colors. I just read today that you were switching to the Democrat party. Congratulations! You've finally figured out what alot of us Republicans have known for quite sometime now.

I guaran-damn-tee we won't forget you in the general election. You better promise the effing world to Philthadelphia and Pittsburgh because you sure aren't going to win anywhere else in PA.

Do Pennsylvania a favor and just retire. Haven't you done enough damage lately?

Sincerely,

trauben 04-28-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PisnNapalm (Post 598664)
You better promise the fu cking world to Philthadelphia and Pittsburgh because you sure aren't going to win anywhere else in PA.

Hey now! I'm in Pittsburgh and that rag has never received my vote! :wave: :wink02:

X-Terminator 04-28-2009 01:42 PM

What I'd like to know is what makes him think it's going to be any better for him in the Democratic Party? All he has to do is look at what happened to the Blue Dog Dems who opposed the stimulus package to see how they treat those who do not walk in lockstep with the majority.

SCSTILLER 04-28-2009 01:54 PM

Was this really that great a surprise to anyone? The only thing that made Specter a republican was the (R) after his name on CSPAN. Fine, switch, PA will hopefully get a real republican in there that actually cares about us Bible toting, gun loving rednecks, and every other constituant also who hopefully will not vote as Philly votes!

The Patriot 04-28-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trauben (Post 598601)
How dare he use the part I quote up above in red as a "sign of the times!" :mad:

I was one of those 200,000 PA Republicans who "switched" to Democrat, but that was FOR THE PRIMARY VOTE IDIOT! We switched to vote for Hillary and to try to swing this state for McCain! How about mentioning the number of Dems who used to be Reps who switched back AFTER the primaries were over? :banging:

I have never liked this guy. Talk about a sell out. :pity:

Karma's a bitch. :laughing:

trauben 04-28-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Patriot (Post 598705)
Karma's a bitch. :laughing:

I suppose coming from someone who's team cheated and went 18 and "LOST THE BIG ONE" ...... you would know about karma being that proverbial bitch!
:chuckle:

Besides, it's no bitch here. He used that as a flimsy BS excuse when he, in truth, knew the reality of those 200,000 people who switched. He's just a coward who used that as his excuse. You can have at him!