Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is our online privacy really under attack? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35742)

trauben 05-06-2009 10:59 AM

Is our online privacy really under attack?

I was sent this link and told not to use Google, Yahoo, or AOL search engines again unless I didn't care about my privacy.

So I followed the link and here's what it says:

Quote:

Ixquick Protects Your Privacy !

The only search engine that does not record your IP address.

Your privacy is under attack !Every time you use a regular search engine, your search data are recorded.

Your search terms, the time of your visit, the links you choose, your IP address and your User ID cookies all get stored in a database.

The identity profiles that can be constructed from this cloud of information represent modern day gold for marketers.

But government officials, hackers and even criminals also have an interest in getting their hands on your personal search data.

And sooner or later they will...

What could happen ?
Consider the following story:

In August 2006, the online world was jarred by the AOL privacy scandal:
AOL released three months' worth of aggregated search data from 650,000 of its users, publishing all the details in an online database. This database is still searchable. It is an absolute eye-opener to see the potential for privacy nightmares.

Shocked ? You are not alone.

https://us2.ixquick.com/graphics/eng...tabase_hov.gif
When we search, we share our most private thoughts with our computers.
These private thoughts should be safe.

https://us2.ixquick.com/eng/protect_privacy.html
I searched snopes.com, but nothing found.

So, is Big Brother really recording every move we make online to this degree?

You guys in the computer business, is this really something to consider?

I have nothing to hide, I don't go to questionable places on the net, but still I prefer my privacy nonetheless.

So far I've been using ixquick and it's a good search engine. You can even set your own search preferences.

I'm just curious what the rest of you think about this.

xfl2001fan 05-06-2009 11:03 AM

Re: Is our online privacy really under attack?

I don't think this is as big of an issue as people are making it out to be.

Any government site you click on will likely record your IP and such...but not much else. If you're using a Government computer, then they are storing your search cookies and such.

Do Search Engines record your information? It's possible. It's also not very expedient. That's a lot of information to tally. I'm a Network Admin (though mostly still in training) at work...and trying to sift through the information for one day for the people just in our building is a lot of stuff to go through.

revefsreleets 05-06-2009 11:05 AM

Is this even an issue?

Well, when Bush is President, yes.

When Obama is President, apparently, no.

trauben 05-06-2009 11:07 AM

I haven't done the AOL search on me, it's blocked as "illegal" from my employer. I'll try it from home later tonight. Has anyone else looked at it?

fansince'76 05-06-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfl2001fan (Post 602508)
Do Search Engines record your information? It's possible. It's also not very expedient. That's a lot of information to tally. I'm a Network Admin (though mostly still in training) at work...and trying to sift through the information for one day for the people just in our building is a lot of stuff to go through.

Agreed. I am also a systems admin and we use Websense to track the Internet activity of our employees (about 450 at the corporate campus I work at) as well, and it's a massive amount of info to go through as far as an employee's complete browsing history is concerned. Further, only an authorized HR person can request to see an employee's "history," (not even an employee's supervisor can request it directly) and we have to limit report queries to site types visited as opposed to sites actually visited just to make the information usable, otherwise the report for one employee can be literally hundreds to thousands of pages for just a 2-3 month timeframe.

Crushzilla 05-06-2009 05:24 PM

I can't say that I'm surprised. I've always assumed this is how the internet worked.

:noidea:

Are we sure this isn't just an ad for ixquick? :chuckle:

HometownGal 05-06-2009 05:35 PM

I tend not to worry about it too much, as I'm super cautious with regard to the websites I visit and what info I give them. Every time I purchase something online, first, I make sure it is a SECURE website, regularly purchase with PayPal, and as soon as the transaction is complete, I erase the history. I also clear my cache daily. I got burned about 6 years ago by not purchasing a t-shirt that I wanted on a secure website and I learned my lesson the hard way.

tony hipchest 05-06-2009 05:41 PM

:doh: you mean the govt. knows im a football junkie who likes to view pictures of cheese? :dang: