Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What, no love for shuttle launches? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35845)

Fire Haley 05-11-2009 06:23 PM

What, no love for shuttle launches?

Have we become that jaded?

I got to see one up close a couple years ago, from inside the Cape, and it's an awesome sight. If you can't feel the sense of wonder, you might as well crawl back into your caves and let the shamans tell you about the world from the shadows on the cave walls.

fire rockets into the sky - it's a boys dream

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tis_launch.jpg

Now, I suck at math - so I quit rockets at a very early age, probably before birth

But my amazement of how chemical energy is transferred into forward motion was never diminished.

An anthropomorphic view would say that even the aliens must be impressed with our death-defying feats of flaming rocket plumes.

We will spread our seed to stars yet, you bastards.

Hammer Of The GODS 05-11-2009 06:48 PM

Re: What, no love for shuttle launches?

Why should the media report on something of true interest when they can tell us what the new first lady is wearing?

Who wouldn't love to get shot into space on a rocket? Beam me up Scotty!

Borski 05-11-2009 07:20 PM

Fox was reporting it, they showed only shuttle coverage from about 5 minutes before it launched til it was in space for a few minutes and released the extrenal tank.

MasterOfPuppets 05-11-2009 10:48 PM

look at all that pollution...:shake01:

tony hipchest 05-11-2009 11:44 PM

i hate to say this, but the shuttle program jumped the shark many years ago as far as entertainment value is concerned.

watching it launch or land is akin to watching the plumber's van drive down an icy road to go snake a neighbors toilet.

i mean, hell... the shuttle cant even land on the moon. :doh:

and look at it. its all white with a black underbelly. it just screams for giant #88 decals and sunoco fuel stickers slapped on that blank canvas.

what the shuttle program desperately needs is a trip to the moon. have a 9 minute britney spears concert while the astronauts undock, and then televise a giant mt. dew flag being planted on the surface.

be sure to have a live video feed of aerosmith playing "dont wanna close my eyes" as the 'nauts return back to earth.

:hunch: but then again, we are talkin about govt money, so we know it wont be spent practically.

fansince'76 05-11-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 604695)
i hate to say this, but the shuttle program jumped the shark many years ago as far as entertainment value is concerned.

watching it launch or land is akin to watching the plumber's van drive down an icy road to go snake a neighbors toilet.

i mean, hell... the shuttle cant even land on the moon. :doh:

and look at it. its all white with a black underbelly. it just screams for giant #88 decals and sunoco fuel stickers slapped on that blank canvas.

what the shuttle program desperately needs is a trip to the moon. have a 9 minute britney spears concert while the astronauts undock, and then televise a giant mt. dew flag being planted on the surface.

be sure to have a live video feed of aerosmith playing "dont wanna close my eyes" as the 'nauts return back to earth.

:hunch: but then again, we are talkin about govt money, so we know it wont be spent practically.

It's still something to behold in person, though. I watched a launch in person right outside of Cape Kennedy once back in the late '90s when I was visiting relatives and it was something - the sonic boom was really cool.

tony hipchest 05-12-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 604697)
It's still something to behold in person, though. I watched a launch in person right outside of Cape Kennedy once back in the late '90s when I was visiting relatives and it was something - the sonic boom was really cool.

while i agree, i was more or less making comedic satire on modern day society.

(although with these f-22's flying around i can do w/o the sonic booms)

MasterOfPuppets 05-12-2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 604708)
while i agree, i was more or less making comedic satire on modern day society.

(although with these f-22's flying around i can do w/o the sonic booms)

i thought maybe you were smokin payote and havin visions again.....:doh:

Fire Haley 05-12-2009 01:31 AM

I just like the purty pictures

http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/i...9-21-a-web.jpg

SteelersinCA 05-12-2009 01:56 AM

I can't turn off the NASA channel while we have a shuttle in the air.