Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fat Tax for Lean Times (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35887)

MACH1 05-13-2009 07:52 PM

Fat Tax for Lean Times

Quote:

Published: April 3, 2005

When Assemblyman Felix W. Ortiz of Brooklyn introduced his ''couch potato tax'' a few years ago, he was the darling of morning television. Mr. Ortiz, a Democrat, wanted to slap a tax on candy bars, soft drinks, supersize junk food, videos, Game Boys -- anything that is contributing to an alarming epidemic of obesity among the young.

The idea drew a lot of one-liners -- some critics called Mr. Ortiz a member of the ''Twinkie police.'' But Mr. Ortiz, who keeps introducing his bill, is extremely serious. And this year he got a very important supporter: the powerful health workers' union in New York State, Local 1199.

The opposition is intense. It comes from those who believe that the consumer should be free to choose; from subsidized interests, like the sugar industry and the meat producers; and from the fast-food industry, which indignantly rejects the idea that supersalted chips, sugar-laden milkshakes and fat-heavy burgers are ''junk'' food.

In Albany, the mere mention of such a tax at this point does little more than add to the bonuses of some of the soft drink and fast food lobbyists, who argue that these foods are already taxed, and that another penny or two of tax on fast food is really a tax on the poor.

In some ways, the lobbyists are right: if potato chips are taxed, crème brûlée should be too. Anybody who buys Camembert can afford an extra nickel for a childhood obesity prevention program. But Mr. Ortiz argues that the real penalty on the poor is not the extra penny or two his bill would add for a child's $4 meal or bag of chips.It is the risk of serious health complications -- like kidney failure, heart disease and blindness -- that face too many of the young and poor who eat too much of those convenient but unhealthy foods.

What we are seeing here is an idea that is evolving in Albany exactly as it should in state government, which is supposed to be the crucible for new ways of solving problems.

And given the alarming rate of obesity among the young, this idea deserves to evolve quickly into a real solution.

If Marlboros are taxed, why not Oreos? If you pay a little extra to the government for a Budweiser, why not for a Big Mac? Or why not levy an extra penny on each of the 10,000 commercials for sugary-salty-fatty foods seen each year by the average child, whose eating habits are just being formed?

That money could go for more physical education in schools or better lunchroom fare or countercommercials that let children know that too much sugar frosting does not make them superheroes. It only makes them fat.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...57C0A9639C8B63

Next they'll want to tax us for breathing.

SCSTILLER 05-13-2009 08:28 PM

Re: Fat Tax for Lean Times

And is anyone surprised?

steelwall 05-13-2009 08:30 PM

Actually I just read a report....sorry was browsing and didn't save the link.... But the gist of the article explained that inactivity is NOT the cause of obecity, over eating is........

OTTT OHHH.... Mcdonalds portions just got

Godfather 05-13-2009 08:51 PM

Better idea than taxing junk food: You get taxed based on your body fat content. Skinny people should be tax exempt while lardasses should be heavily (no pun intended) taxed.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair 05-13-2009 09:09 PM

In order to finance Osama Obama's Nationwide Medical coverage they are kicking around the idea of taxing the medical benefits your employer pays. Nice 'eh?

the Hospitals being run by the Government ahhhh has anyone walked into a government run establishment lately?

I just make sure I have a very large jar of Vaseline close buy as the State of California insists on sticking their tax dicks in my ass while the Feds come up with more brilliant ideas as to how they are going to poke me with their tax dick.

They want to tax 2 - 3 cents on all drinks with sugar. I'm wondering how much it is going to cost me to take a shit. :noidea:

St33lersguy 05-13-2009 09:48 PM

where is the tax on tea, stamps, paper money, and other goods.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair 05-13-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St33lersguy (Post 605523)

They won't disappoint......it's coming.

MACH1 05-13-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St33lersguy (Post 605523)

Don't worry it's coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelwall (Post 605474)
Actually I just read a report....sorry was browsing and didn't save the link.... But the gist of the article explained that inactivity is NOT the cause of obecity, over eating is........

OTTT OHHH.... Mcdonalds portions just got

Obesity is also hereditary.

tony hipchest 05-13-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH1 (Post 605530)
Obesity is also hereditary.

ooh ooh ooh! a tax on jeans....

SteelersinCA 05-13-2009 11:16 PM

and mumu's!!!!