Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Gamer Chat (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   PS 3 Strikes Out Big Time... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35974)

revefsreleets 05-19-2009 12:24 PM

PS 3 Strikes Out Big Time...

As predicted, XBox eats it's lunch. But 6th? And falling behind the PS2? Wow!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...rother/1315218

According to official April figures released by the NPD Group, the Playstation 3 found itself beaten out for fifth place by an unusual competitor: its predecessor, the Playstation 2.
Still the boss

A 50% leap in Playstation 2 sales accounts for the surprising change, an increase likely prompted by the system's price cut on April 1, a move which apparently electrified interest in the nine-year old platform.
The PS2's success was probably the only nugget of April sales news to put smiles on the faces of Sony execs. Nintendo platforms continued their lockdown of the top spots, with the Wii coming second and the DS coming both first and third, courtesy of the just-launched DSi: the DS's two hardware variations accounted for an astonishing million sales during April.Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 was down slightly over last April, but still managed a solid fourth place and remains on course for a record-breaking year.
But both the Playstation 3 and PSP posted disappointing results, with the PS3 placing sixth with its worst performance in over 18 months, and the PSP limping in seventh with a total of 116,000 sales -- down over 30% on March's numbers.
The news has revitalized persistent rumors of price cuts for Sony's PS3. The system's base model is between $150 and $200 more expensive than its competitors, the Wii and Xbox 360. Industry news site Gamasutra predicts we'll see a $100 cut in the $400 Playstation 3 announced at the E3 video games trade show in Los Angeles in early June.
So if you're contemplating taking the Playstation plunge -- and with top exclusive superhero thriller Infamous just a week away, we're betting some of you are -- you might well want to hold off and wait to see what June has in store.

ShutDown24 05-19-2009 12:51 PM

Re: PS 3 Strikes Out Big Time...

Should anyone really be surprised by this? The Playstation 3 was doomed from the start. Sony dug themselves far too deep of a hole with the insane asking price of the console since its debut and they never climbed out. The fact that they rarely get any buzz worthy titles anymore doesn't help either.

Crushzilla 05-19-2009 01:30 PM

Well...

If Sony wouldn't have gotten so f'ing greedy and sold all of it's franchises, they wouldn't be having this problem.

Now, all the games you could ONLY get on PS3 are multi-platform.

They basically created the competition.

I have a PS3... I like it.

ShutDown24 05-19-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushzilla (Post 607289)
Well...

If Sony wouldn't have gotten so f'ing greedy and sold all of it's franchises, they wouldn't be having this problem.

Now, all the games you could ONLY get on PS3 are multi-platform.

They basically created the competition.

I have a PS3... I like it.

The system itself is excellent. But you detailed Sony's problem yourself. Too greedy. The $ signs mean more to them than the quality of their product anymore and that is never a good thing in any industry.

STEELtownHAVOX 05-19-2009 02:15 PM

i love my ps3, especially just how multi useful it is. Surf the web, download games, movies, demos, listen to music that you've uploaded, upload videos/pictures, watch blu rays (my favorite), and of course play the games. It's a great piece of technology, just have to budget for it. LOL

nojobny 05-19-2009 10:29 PM

Ditto.. I waited what seemed a lifetime for mine then hubs surprised me for Christmas. OMG I was stoked!

It's really great and it has some nice syncing features with my PSP as well.

I have no complaints. And the blu ray DVDs are gorgeous on my big screen!

lilyoder6 05-19-2009 11:17 PM

hands down.. the PS3 is the best system.. but i do agree that they dug themselves a hole b4 the launch b/c of the steep pricetag

ShutDown24 05-19-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyoder6 (Post 607423)
hands down.. the PS3 is the best system.. but i do agree that they dug themselves a hole b4 the launch b/c of the steep pricetag

In one regard you are correct. The PS3 is the best entertainment system. But it isn't the best gaming system. Not even close. That's the problem. If you want a console that can provide movies, music and games then the PS3 is for you. If you want a console for games, go another direction.

The Duke 05-19-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDown24 (Post 607426)
In one regard you are correct. The PS3 is the best entertainment system. But it isn't the best gaming system. Not even close. That's the problem. If you want a console that can provide movies, music and games then the PS3 is for you. If you want a console for games, go another direction.

exactly. which is why I'm happy with my wii. cheap and I barely use it, but I know I will have it for a long time and enjoy the few times I actually use it

PS3's probems were easy to predict since the beginning....

Hammer67 05-21-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDown24 (Post 607272)
Should anyone really be surprised by this? The Playstation 3 was doomed from the start. Sony dug themselves far too deep of a hole with the insane asking price of the console since its debut and they never climbed out. The fact that they rarely get any buzz worthy titles anymore doesn't help either.

Actually, to be honest, I bought mine strictly as a Blu Ray player and it was cheaper, at the time, then any of the better stand alone players on the market. That, in and of itself, makes the PS3 a steal if you plan to use it to play movies. Blu Ray player and a gaming system on par with the 360? For $300??? Awesome.

I still use my 360 exclusively for gaming and streaming audio from my PC, but I love having the PS3 for movies and the occasional game.

As far as competing in the console market...meh. I got me the best Blu Ray player. :thumbsup: