Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why are there soo many people joining the Military? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=36035)

T.Richardson 05-24-2009 02:08 PM

Why are there soo many people joining the Military?

Im at A school in San Antonio, TX right now, and Im freaking roomed up with 3 people in a hotel sized room. Two rooms are connected through the bathroom, which totals up to 6 people in a freaking small room. And now im getting kicked out of my school and I had to choose another job, and almost every single job is overmanned, and the only one I could get was Yeoman.

And if any Navy guys here with experience, I got a question. I was at the admin office today, and asked if I was qualified for EOD, and they said I was, but I would have to wait 2 years to cross rate to that job. I looked on the EOD website, and it says that you can volunteer while at A school, so now im confused. My question is when I go to Mississippi for Yeoman A school, can I volunteer for EOD? or do I have to wait 2 years?

fansince'76 05-24-2009 02:22 PM

Re: Why are there soo many people joining the Military?

Quote:

Take a good look at the economy. There's the reason, in a nutshell.

HometownGal 05-24-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Because the majority of those who enlist truly love their country and want to make a difference by serving it instead of sitting on their asses behind a desk or on their sofas B & Ming about how bad they have it here in the U.S. of A.

xfl2001fan 05-24-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Richardson (Post 609060)
Im at A school in San Antonio, TX right now, and Im freaking roomed up with 3 people in a hotel sized room. Two rooms are connected through the bathroom, which totals up to 6 people in a freaking small room. And now im getting kicked out of my school and I had to choose another job, and almost every single job is overmanned, and the only one I could get was Yeoman.

And if any Navy guys here with experience, I got a question. I was at the admin office today, and asked if I was qualified for EOD, and they said I was, but I would have to wait 2 years to cross rate to that job. I looked on the EOD website, and it says that you can volunteer while at A school, so now im confused. My question is when I go to Mississippi for Yeoman A school, can I volunteer for EOD? or do I have to wait 2 years?

When the economy is bad, recruiting always goes up. For most people, 4 years of guaranteed pay is far better than the alternative...

As for your question, when you get to Meridian, talk to the folks there. Otherwise, talk with Trauben. She's still active Navy and may have some more insight. I've been out of that branch for nearly 8 years. I believe that, unless the EOD is really hurting for people, you'll have to wait 2 years...which will likely turn to 4. Once it's time for you to reenlist, you can make that a requirement to raise your right hand again.

At least that's the way it worked for most Sailors who wanted to change their Rate or go to another school.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE 05-24-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal (Post 609097)
Because the majority of those who enlist truly love their country and want to make a difference by serving it instead of sitting on their asses behind a desk or on their sofas B & Ming about how bad they have it here in the U.S. of A.

:tt02:

tony hipchest 05-24-2009 05:32 PM

because we are stretched so thin and undermanned, that according to the joint chief of staffs, the military and US govt has even explored getting rid of the "dont ask dont tell" policy and let openly flaming gays enlist. :hunch:

the military is also a great way out of the ghettos for kids who dont wanna make ends meet by selling drugs or their bodies.

some who were raised on welfare actually want to contribute and make an honest living.

MACH1 05-24-2009 08:22 PM

A lot want to get out of whatever little podunk towns they grew up in. I'm talking towns with a population 3-5 hundred.

The Patriot 05-24-2009 08:37 PM

The promotional videos? Maybe.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/InBXu-iY7cw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InBXu-iY7cw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

steelreserve 05-25-2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 609063)
Take a good look at the economy. There's the reason, in a nutshell.

That, and also the fact that since OMGbama took over, people seem to be less afraid of joining the military because they think you probably won't get sent to Iraq to go get shot anymore, because hey, it's all good.

Remember -- now, we have HOPE.

T.Richardson 05-25-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelreserve (Post 609348)
That, and also the fact that since OMGbama took over, people seem to be less afraid of joining the military because they think you probably won't get sent to Iraq to go get shot anymore, because hey, it's all good.

Remember -- now, we have HOPE.

your right, they are going to Afghanistan!