Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top 5 Coaches (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=36977)

SteelCityKing 07-15-2009 03:38 PM

Top 5 Coaches

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ.../Top-5-Coaches

not a bad list. but i am REALLY tired of people slobberin' all over the Patriots again. they don't have Matt Cassell. so, they aren't going to do what they did last year. yeah, they got Tom Brady, but obviously he didn't play last year. so, they are focusing on what the Patriots did 2 years ago...go undefeated and lose the Super Bowl. it's just a little frustrating.

steelreserve 07-15-2009 03:55 PM

Re: Top 5 Coaches

Ahh well. At least it's a little different this year now that Dungy retired. Pretty much every list like this for the past several years would go:

1. Belichick
2. Dungy
3. Bill Parcells when he's not retired, Mike Shanahan when he is
4. Whichever flavor-of-the-month NFC team made the Super Bowl last year, only to fall flat this season
5. Whichever flavor-of-the-month team came back from 5-11 to make the playoffs last year, only to fall flat this season

SteelCityKing 07-15-2009 04:02 PM

i would put Dungy over Belichick anyday. for sure.

i'm honestly stoked that Tomlin made the list. but he's aready snagged some accolades in his young career and he's going to do very well in the future. i bet he'll out tenure Cowher.

T.Richardson 07-15-2009 05:00 PM

I know im probably going to get dirty looks, like SteelCityKings avatar, but...

I like Tomlin as a coach much better than Cowher. Tomlin got his first superbowl win in what? 2 years? IT took Cowher almost 15 years? SO yea, I say Tomlin>Cowher right now.

BlastFurnace 07-15-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Richardson (Post 626270)

I like Tomlin as a coach much better than Cowher. Tomlin got his first superbowl win in what? 2 years? IT took Cowher almost 15 years? SO yea, I say Tomlin>Cowher right now.

Give Cowher a QB like Ben for the first 10 years of his coaching tenure, and we have 3 or 4 more rings.

Preacher 07-15-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Richardson (Post 626270)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlastFurnace (Post 626284)
Give Cowher a QB like Ben for the first 10 years of his coaching tenure, and we have 3 or 4 more rings.

But that is the point. Cowher did not put the emphasis on QB that was needed. His emphasis was on the run game. As long as you had the dominant RB and Running game line, he thought you only needed an average QB to hand the ball off and throw it once in a while.

He himself admits that it was Tommy Maddox that finally changed his mind, that he saw what the pass game could do... though he got "enamored" with it. That is why they went back to the run in 04.

It wasn't until 05, 13 years after he started, that he finally figured out a balanced game win's SB's, and for that, you need at LEAST a pretty good QB.

Furthermore, he was a coach that would stick with players, and motivate them beyond their ability seemingly. Tomlin on the other hand, cares more about the ability and will put the best players out there regardless.

They both were tough disciplinarians . . . I think Holmes sits against the Giants no matter who coached last year.

All in all, I think as it sits now, i have to give the edge to Tomlin. And I LOVED Cowher, so that kinda surprises me.

Matter of facyt, i saw the water-boy again last night on TV, and loved Cowher sitting in the stands in the black and gold.

St33lersguy 07-15-2009 09:04 PM

So Tomlin is the highest ranked coach among no-cheating coaches on that list. I will call Belichick the best cheating coach

SteelersMongol 07-15-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St33lersguy (Post 626346)
So Tomlin is the highest ranked coach among no-cheating coaches on that list. I will call Belichick the best cheating coach

:toofunny:

Hammer Of The GODS 07-15-2009 10:35 PM

I WOULD LIKE TO SET BELICHEATS NARDS ON FIRE! :mad:

GD I HATE THE PATRIOTS!

revefsreleets 07-16-2009 10:16 AM

BB as HC of the Cleveland Browns: 36-44
BB as the coach of the Patriots PRIOR to taping: 5-11

Total UNTAINTED record of Bill Belichick in the NFL: 41-55

Bill AFTER taping began: Who cares? It doesn't count. But 41-55 does NOT qualify him as the best coach in the NFL. It may make him one of the worst, though...