Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Packer Fan Here (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=37583)

packfntk 08-07-2009 11:32 AM

Packer Fan Here

Hey guys-

I just want to start out by saying I am a Packer Fan (As you couldn't have read that in the Title).

I want to say that I do respect the long Steeler tradition and the fans. In fact if it weren't for my Green Bay Packers I would be a Steeler Fan. I just love the grit and grime of the defense. I love the terrible towel and everything you guys stand for.

I hopped on this forum in search of advice. My buddies and I take one road trip per year to an away stadium. Naturally, when I saw we played in Pittsburgh this year we immediately decided that we were going. I bought a parking pass, reserved my hotel, and am still in the process of shopping for tickets. We will pay to sit in the lower sections because if you are spending the money it doesn't pay to have crap seats.

I am looking for advice as to what to do when we get to Pittsburgh. We are coming for 4 days so I was wondering if anyone had the scoop on local restaurants, bars, etc.

I can't wait to get there and check out the stadium. I am so jacked up and it is over 4 months away. We are very respectful of the stadiums we visit and can't wait to see the terrible towels fly. Any insight on what we will go through being an away fan at Heinz? We have been pretty lucky where we have went in years past (Except for Chicago of course). But just looking for some guidance. Thanks guys, I appreciate anything you can give me.

Signed,
Packer Fan

Sharkissle29 08-07-2009 11:45 AM

Re: Packer Fan Here

Quote:

Originally Posted by packfntk (Post 635201)
Hey guys-

I just want to start out by saying I am a Packer Fan (As you couldn't have read that in the Title).

I want to say that I do respect the long Steeler tradition and the fans. In fact if it weren't for my Green Bay Packers I would be a Steeler Fan. I just love the grit and grime of the defense. I love the terrible towel and everything you guys stand for.

I hopped on this forum in search of advice. My buddies and I take one road trip per year to an away stadium. Naturally, when I saw we played in Pittsburgh this year we immediately decided that we were going. I bought a parking pass, reserved my hotel, and am still in the process of shopping for tickets. We will pay to sit in the lower sections because if you are spending the money it doesn't pay to have crap seats.

I am looking for advice as to what to do when we get to Pittsburgh. We are coming for 4 days so I was wondering if anyone had the scoop on local restaurants, bars, etc.

I can't wait to get there and check out the stadium. I am so jacked up and it is over 4 months away. We are very respectful of the stadiums we visit and can't wait to see the terrible towels fly. Any insight on what we will go through being an away fan at Heinz? We have been pretty lucky where we have went in years past (Except for Chicago of course). But just looking for some guidance. Thanks guys, I appreciate anything you can give me.

Signed,
Packer Fan

two things you for sure need to check out.

1. Primanti Brothers - have a sandwhich, its a pittsburgh icon
2. Mt. Washington Incline - great view of the city there.

As for the game, you may get heckled a little bit but it will be friendly only if you yourself, dont cross the line. Being from Chicago, all i hear is hatred for the Packers, but i respect both teams.

steelersfanman92 08-07-2009 12:11 PM

Here is a thread with a bunch of ideas of what to do when you go to the Burgh http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=36948

Indo 08-07-2009 01:01 PM

Lucky Bastard!
I grew up in The Burgh and now live in (dare I say it) Alabama where NO ONE can even spell N-F-L (they can only scream Roll Tide! or War Eagle (Auburn, but maybe you knew that)---so I'm jealous!

'm guessing that the overwhelming majority of people on this board will recommend Primanti Brothers ---go to the original one in the Strip District:

http://www.primantibrothers.com/

Expect some heckling---you are The Enemy on Game Day; but there shouldn't be any issues

Cool idea going to other stadiums---I've always wanted to see a game at
Laaaaaambeau Field

one day...

PS What's up with Fav-ra? He must've taken one too many shots to the noggin' right before he retired (the first time!)

Indo 08-07-2009 01:13 PM

I also agree that you should check out he Incline-----you'll get a great view of Heinz Field from there

It's pronounced "Due-kane" (sorry to insult your intelligence if you already knew that)

http://incline.pghfree.net/historycover.htm

SteelCityMom 08-07-2009 01:15 PM

As a Packers fan, you'll be fine, just ignore any extremely drunk morons if you come across them. Most Steelers fans have a lot of respect for the NFC North teams (except for the Lions...obviously lol).

As everyone has already mentioned, go to Primanti's (in the Strip), you won't regret it!

If you're looking for a good nightlife scene I recommend the South Side (Carson Street). Honestly, any bar down there is a good time...my favorite is the Tiki Lounge though or the Smiling Moose (if you like a good metal bar lol).

If you want something more on the clubby side, go down to Station Square or the Strip District.

For touristy stuff, there's the Inclines, Point Park, any of the Carnegie Museums (the Science Center is my fave), the Western Pennsylvania Sports History Center (in the Strip District) and a ton more...just check out Pittsburgh.com for more info.

Hope you enjoy your trip and the game!

4n2t0 08-07-2009 01:47 PM

Prime Outlets - Grove City

packfntk 08-07-2009 03:11 PM

Thanks for all the insite guys.

Yeah, we have Primanti's inked in as a place to visit. We saw the episode of Man Vs. Food and made that a "Sure Fire" destination while we are there.

Love the idea for a view. I will write that down.

Also love the idea of the metal bar. I actually work in Radio Advertising, and I work for a metal station. So we will visit there for sure, but I am sure some of my buddies will want to go "Clubbing" at some point to see what Pitt has to offer for tail. I myself like the bars where I can get a barstool and rip shots, and talk to some locals but everyone is different.

"PS What's up with Fav-ra? He must've taken one too many shots to the noggin' right before he retired (the first time!)"

Well I lost a lot of respect for that guy. I used to literally praise the ground he walked on. I am just about 27, so for the majority of my life I watched him sling passes for the Green and Gold. It hurt seeing him in a Jets jersey, but we had moved on and I accepted that. But I said if he ever put on that purple jersey I would never forgive him. The damage is pretty much done and I still cannot believe all that went down. He must have fallen off his tractor one too many times.

But we are all jacked for our trip. Any other insights let me know. Thanks guys!

Anyone ever been to Lambeau?

Ravnet 08-07-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St33lers (Post 635204)
2. Mt. Washington Incline - great view of the city there.

I thought it was the Duquesne Rail?

Sharkissle29 08-07-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravnet (Post 635275)
I thought it was the Duquesne Rail?

maybe thats what its called, i havnt been up it in years