Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Kudos to Arlen Specter (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=37722)

7SteelGal43 08-11-2009 11:17 AM

Kudos to Arlen Specter

:applaudit::hatsoff::thmbup:

My hat's off to PA senator Arlen Specter for his town hall meeting in Labanon PA today. He held an open forum where his constituents could have their voice heard. And the constituents thanked him for it. He did not try to script this. People asked him THEIR questions and told him THEIR concerns and then they listened to HIS response. It was a very orderly, civil, and decent exchange. Each person who'd been chosen was called in turn and given their chance to speak. Awesome job Senator Specter. And to all those who were in attendance, give yourselves a hand for peacably taking part and enjoying one of many rights you've been given in this country. Thank you Senator Specter, I was SO SO proud to be an American as I watched this great event and I hope we see more of this in EVERY state and with EVERY senator and representative. Even after we sort out this health care issue.

Senator Spector, I hope we can take you at your word that you WILL NOT support any legislation that provides free medical care to illegals.

One line in the bill states that we're required to pay a 2% tax if our current medical coverage isn't adequate enough. You stated you COULD NOT vote for a provision with such vague language. Please make good on that promise.

ON A SIDE NOTE : I'd been watching this live on FOX for about 45 minutes. While it was still going on, I turned to the Direct TV news mix channel where it shows 8 different news channels on your screen and you can choose the audio for any of the channels. CNN is the channel in the first box and it is obviously the audio you hear until you change it. CNN had it's news anchor speaking and very clearly over her shoulder you can see a LIVE shot of the town hall meeting. You see a seated, orderly crowd, you see a man standing near Specter asking his question. The picture istelf is quite boring. And yet (you're gonna love this) the anchor woman says "Sparks are flying in Lebanon"

revefsreleets 08-11-2009 12:51 PM

Re: Kudos to Arlen Specter

There are also provisions for 8% surcharge taxes for small business and I believe something like 15% penalty tax for people who opt for no coverage.

PisnNapalm 08-11-2009 01:08 PM

I'll never believe another word that comes out of Specter's mouth. http://www.pisnnapalm.com/smilies_files/dry.gif

revefsreleets 08-11-2009 01:15 PM

Oh, yeah, by the by, I'm no fan either...

43Hitman 08-11-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 (Post 636782)

My hat's off to PA senator Arlen Specter for his town hall meeting in Labanon PA today. He held an open forum where his constituents could have their voice heard. And the constituents thanked him for it. He did not try to script this. People asked him THEIR questions and told him THEIR concerns and then they listened to HIS response. It was a very orderly, civil, and decent exchange. Each person who'd been chosen was called in turn and given their chance to speak. Awesome job Senator Specter. And to all those who were in attendance, give yourselves a hand for peacably taking part and enjoying one of many rights you've been given in this country. Thank you Senator Specter, I was SO SO proud to be an American as I watched this great event and I hope we see more of this in EVERY state and with EVERY senator and representative. Even after we sort out this health care issue.

Senator Spector, I hope we can take you at your word that you WILL NOT support any legislation that provides free medical care to illegals.

One line in the bill states that we're required to pay a 2% tax if our current medical coverage isn't adequate enough. You stated you COULD NOT vote for a provision with such vague language. Please make good on that promise.

ON A SIDE NOTE : I'd been watching this live on FOX for about 45 minutes. While it was still going on, I turned to the Direct TV news mix channel where it shows 8 different news channels on your screen and you can choose the audio for any of the channels. CNN is the channel in the first box and it is obviously the audio you hear until you change it. CNN had it's news anchor speaking and very clearly over her shoulder you can see a LIVE shot of the town hall meeting. You see a seated, orderly crowd, you see a man standing near Specter asking his question. The picture istelf is quite boring. And yet (you're gonna love this) the anchor woman says "Sparks are flying in Lebanon"

That's easy, they'll just make them all legal first. :wink02:

J Dogg 08-11-2009 01:31 PM

1. The liberal wing of the party will not allow any health care bill to go through that doesn't cover illegals. The BDs can do what they want, but the liberals hold all the cards right now and they want coverage for illegals. Guys like Arlen will be mowed down if they stand in the way.

2. Immigration reform is next after health care and you can bet your bottom dollar that the liberals want an easy path to citizenship for illegals. Once again, the BDs can stand in the way here, but only those in districts not affected heavily by illegal immigration. The way I read this deal is that there will be some kind of program set up for those who are here now. But after that has run it's course, the borders are going to tightened up.

revefsreleets 08-11-2009 01:40 PM

I completely disagree, ESPECIALLY in the Senate: These guys exist to be re-elected, and the illegal issue is hot potato that ONLY the extreme liberals will touch. This, cap and trade, gay marriage and maybe a couple other issues are too hot to actually have an opponent stand up against an incumbent in a debate and be able to point out a "yay" vote next to their name. There is no existing bill with illegal coverage in it, nor will there be.

(As and FYI, and informational for people who still play Ostrich on Obamie, HE wants EVERYONE covered, legal or not)

Immigration reform is another matter...

PisnNapalm 08-11-2009 01:57 PM

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/...cter_1_330.jpg

7SteelGal43 08-11-2009 02:17 PM

DISCLAIMER By starting this thread with the original post, I in no way meant to endorse Specter, or his politics. Was simply giving credit where credit was due. See ? We're not all partisan hacks here the GOP :usa:

MasterOfPuppets 08-11-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 (Post 636782)

"

i hate to burst your bubble, but we already pay for illegal immigrants health care...
Quote:

Illegal Immigrants Account for $10.7 Billion of Nation’s Health Care Costs, Data Show
Quote:

(CNSNews.com) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said that “illegal immigrants are not covered” in the health care reform legislation that is now working its way through House committees. But when asked about illegal immigrants who go to public hospitals for care, Pelosi told CNN’s State of the Nation on Sunday the law requires that they be treated.
Quote:

“If you’re in this country illegally, should you be able to get health care?” CNN’s John King asked Pelosi. “No, illegal immigrants are not covered by this plan,” she replied.
Quote:

“The numbers that I’ve been running come up to a total of $10.7 billion a year,” Martin told CNSNews.com. Those costs include the cost of so-called “anchor babies” – babies born to illegal immigrant parents in U.S. hospitals, almost always at taxpayers’ expense.
http://www.cnsnews.com/public/Conten...x?RsrcID=51751