Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   DirecTV to drop Versus if new deal is not reached by 8-31 (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=38267)

Fire Haley 08-28-2009 03:55 PM

DirecTV to drop Versus if new deal is not reached by 8-31

DirecTV says it will no longer carry Versus network

For the last couple of days, DirecTV satellite television subscribers have been seeing a crawl if they've watched any Versus network programming telling them that as of Aug. 31, DirecTV will no longer carry Versus.

For college football and NHL fans who get their television through DirecTV, this could be bad news.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4477246.story

--------------------------------

crap

SteelersinCA 08-28-2009 04:17 PM

Re: DirecTV to drop Versus if new deal is not reached by 8-31

I don't get it, if those numbers are correct how can versus be demanding more money? I will miss Hockey though.

OneForTheToe 08-28-2009 04:19 PM

I got dish and I don't have Versus. I think I can get it on another tier. I'm just too cheap to buy it, when I watch most of the NHL playoffs at the club. And, if I am home, I always got the Internet. Although, if I could get the NHL Network, NHLNpackage and Versus for one price, I might break into ol'e piggy.

SteelersinCA 08-28-2009 04:20 PM

That's probably why versus isn't on dish, it's ratings suck.

OneForTheToe 08-28-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersinCA (Post 646473)
That's probably why versus isn't on dish, it's ratings suck.

The ratings are low, but I like Versus. Unlike ESPN, sometimes they actually show sports, without spending the entire broadcast promoting themselves.

X-Terminator 08-28-2009 04:35 PM

Figures. Comcast owns the network, and they are nothing but a bunch of greedy SOBs. They want DirecTV to overpay for a 3rd-rate network whose best-rated show is WEC. It's also hypocritical as hell because they were bitching profusely last year over what they called "confiscatory pricing" by the NFL Network that forces them to offer it on their sports entertainment package...while every other carrier has it on their basic package, including DirecTV and FiOS TV.

Bastards.

Fire Haley 08-28-2009 05:33 PM

I called them, if worse comes to worse, they say they'll put Versus on their FSN sports package - but that'll cost another $12 a month.

SteelMember 08-28-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer (Post 646503)
I called them, if worse comes to worse, they say they'll put Versus on their FSN sports package - but that'll cost another $12 a month.

I'll offer 'em $2...They'll probably take it. Jagoffs!

Although, I once ordered the sports pack before a Pens game, and it was blacked out. I called back to complain, and they said they couldn't do anything about it because it was a blackout, but I could order the Center Ice package for the half season price...There was only 5 games left 'til the playoffs. :banging:

SteelCityMan786 08-28-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Terminator (Post 646481)
Figures. Comcast owns the network, and they are nothing but a bunch of greedy SOBs. They want DirecTV to overpay for a 3rd-rate network whose best-rated show is WEC. It's also hypocritical as hell because they were bitching profusely last year over what they called "confiscatory pricing" by the NFL Network that forces them to offer it on their sports entertainment package...while every other carrier has it on their basic package, including DirecTV and FiOS TV.

Bastards.

Atlantic Broadband has it on the Value Package. NFL Network is on the Premium.

X-Terminator 09-03-2009 03:05 AM

Well, DirecTV followed through and dropped VS from the channel lineup, thus putting millions of hockey fans in the dark.

Hey, Gary Bettman...I hear ESPN is looking for a major championship to be won on its network, since, you know, FOX and CBS have the rights to the World Series and the Super Bowl, and ABC has the rights to the NBA Finals. You guys had a good relationship before you decided to put hockey on an obscure network that not everyone gets even WITH DirecTV in the fold. How about hooking up again? Your ratings might actually improve as well, since ESPN is only on every major carrier in every major market in the country. But of course, we all know you won't do it, because that would actually make sense.

Will the owners please fire this nitwit already?