Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Jordan's Hall of Fame Speech. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=38821)

JackHammer 09-11-2009 09:05 PM

Jordan's Hall of Fame Speech.

The ceremony just ended and Jordan's speech was absolutely epic. For anyone who was either too young or just not into basketball when Jordan was in his prime, you should watch his speech if you want to know why he's the greatest basketball player ever. He's probably the most competitive athlete ever, and that's why he won 6 titles and 6 NBA Finals MVP trophies.

tony hipchest 09-12-2009 01:55 AM

Re: Jordan's Hall of Fame Speech.

i missed the beginning but totally agree. dr. j, abdul jabbar, magic, bird, isaiah, had me liking BB.

jordan made me love it. he beat the asses of an entire decades worth of the leagues top opposition.

had he not retired he woulda beat shaqs magic, ewings nicks and hakeems rockets, robinsons spurs, in addition to the likes of drexler, stockton, malone, magic, payton, etc...

SteelMember 09-14-2009 10:40 AM

Funny thing. I didn't get to see the speech live myself, but there seemed to be more than one "colomnist" that took acception to MJ's speech. Saying he couldn't just be gracious and accept, but had to put in some "old wounds" like talking about his problems with van gundy and his old high school coach for not playing him. Then failing to recognize anyone else on his teams, except a sentence on Pippen. Guess his point was he did it all in spite of everyone. :noidea:

revefsreleets 09-14-2009 10:47 AM

He used his speech to address old wrongs and get back at people...even his presenter was a dig at his old High School coach.

Jordan came off as bitter and petty...let it go, man, let it go...

SteelMember 09-14-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 658979)
He used his speech to address old wrongs and get back at people...even his presenter was a dig at his old High School coach.

That is exactly how I heard it reported.

Also, something in there about "he'd hate to them", referring to his children.

revefsreleets 09-14-2009 12:09 PM

Yeah, he said he'd hate to be them...that didn't bother me as I took it to mean they had a huge shadow cast over them, which is absolutely true...

fansince'76 09-14-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 658979)

Agreed. I actually felt embarrassed for him while I was watching it, not to mention seeing all the awkward facial expressions and obviously forced laughter of people like Jerry Sloan and John Stockton as he was making his speech when the camera panned the crowd. He really made an ass of himself, IMO.

lamberts-lost-tooth 09-14-2009 01:55 PM

As a citizen of Illinois, I can tell you that there was a time that Jordan was worshiped here, but probably before the rest of the nation lost that infatuation with his "air-ness", local word was out that both him and Scottie Pippen were world class tools. Both were cool in front of the media but rude when the press turned off the cameras.

I was, and still am in awe of the way that Michael played the game and I appreciate the fact that he ushered in an age of B-ball that was incredibly enjoyable...BUT...what Jordan did at the HOF was typical of the pampered, borish playground bully that he was and that he tried to hide when image meant more to him then it does now.

That being said...I was MORE proud of Jerry Sloan. I am raised in a small town of 2,700 people. We had little, when I was growing up to distinguish ourselves from the thousands of small town farming communities across the nation except that we were the home town of Jerry Sloan.

To this day, during the off season he still goes to the same breakfast cafe as the rest of the farmers. While sitting, and before he stands his full intimidating height, he looks like the rest of the "good ole boys" there. There is a reason for that...he is. He never presented himself as better than anyone else. He never flaunted his fame or wealth...and more thatn once I had to lend money to his son so that we could go out because Brian failed to do his chores and didnt get his allowance. His kids were well mannered and humble and his wife (before her death) thought of our town as "home". Amazingly enough, I recall that they ALWAYS seemed to "adopt" some kid with a poor home life...taking him to games, buying school supplies and clothes and giving him an open door policy to their house.

He is a man with class and character and deserving of the HOF through his sheer work ethic. Too bad that there was such a contrast between Jerry and Michael that night.

SteelMember 09-14-2009 06:11 PM

I thought this was kinda funny. I'm not sure how serious Jordan was, but Russell seems to take it pretty lightly.

Russell to Jordan: Game on

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports
Sep 13, 2:28 am EDT

Bryon Russell has a message for Michael Jordan: Whenever you’re ready, I’ll be waiting in California – in my basketball shorts.

“I’ll play his a— right now,” Russell told Yahoo! Sports. “This is a call-out for him to come play me. He can come out here in his private jet and come play. He’s got millions of dollars. He can pay for the jet. He can meet me at the Recreation Center in Calabasas.

“We can have Mark Jackson do the commentating. We can have Mitch Richmond do the officiating. We can put it on TV and see if Michael’s still got it.”

Jordan spent much of his enshrinement speech at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame singling out players and coaches who had slighted, criticized or motivated him. Russell merited a special mention.

After Jordan’s first retirement from the NBA, he was playing minor-league baseball and stopped by the Chicago Bulls’ practice facility, where the Utah Jazz were working out. Jordan said Russell, then a rookie with the Jazz, introduced himself and challenged him.

At this time I had no thoughts of coming back and playing the game of basketball,” Jordan said during his speech. “Bryon Russell came over to me and said, ‘Why’d you quit? You know I could guard you. If I ever see you in a pair of shorts…’

“When I did come back in 1995 and we played Utah in ’96, I’m at the center circle and Bryon Russell is standing next to me. I said, ‘You remember the [comments] you made in 1994 about, ‘I think I can guard you, I can shut you down, I would love to play against you? Well, you’re about to get your chance.’ ”

When the teams met in the ’98 Finals, Jordan hit his famous championship-clinching shot after knocking Russell backward. Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and point guard John Stockton, who also were being inducted, both shook their heads as Jordan told the story.

“From this day forward,” Jordan said, “if I ever see him in shorts, I’m coming at him.”

Russell said Jordan’s story was accurate and that he was honored, not offended, by his words.

“It was during my rookie year,” Russell said. “He turned to Karl [Malone] and said, ‘Hey Karl, is that your rookie?’ I really did say that to him. Karl was laughing and [Jordan] was laughing, too. …I guess I motivated him to come back. There had to be other reasons. You know he likes all challenges.

“Out of all the people he came across, he thought about me. I’m happy to be in his Hall of Fame speech.”

Russell said “not a single day passes” in which someone doesn’t ask him about Jordan’s shot over him. While playing for the Denver Nuggets, Russell and then-Nuggets interim coach Michael Cooper got in a heated debate about whether Jordan’s shot over Russell or Julius Erving’s famous acrobatic dunk over Cooper was more embarrassing. Looking back, Russell said he wasn’t humiliated to be part of such a historic play.

“To me, that’s the greatest play in basketball history,” Russell said. “It will stay that way because he will always be the greatest player to play the game. I didn’t mind. But the referees didn’t make the call on the push off.

“It’s long done and gone. It was a call that wasn’t made on a play that was great.”

Russell didn’t watch the Hall of Fame induction ceremony live because he was running errands with his 11-year-old son, Brandon, in Calabasas, Calif., but he did record it. After Jordan mentioned him, Russell received a voice message from his old Long Beach State coach, Seth Greenberg. Several other friends and family members also called and sent him text messages. As soon as Russell got home, he rushed to the television to watch Jordan.

Jordan and Russell were teammates with the Washington Wizards during the 2002-03 season, Jordan’s last in the NBA. Russell said Jordan never brought up the story while they were together and they never played one-on-one, either. Russell, now 38, last played in the NBA during the 2005-06 season, but he works out daily and is eager to “guard [Jordan] again and beat him.”

Russell encouraged Jordan to get his phone number from a mutual friend if he’s up for the challenge. Until then, he wants Jordan to know this:

“I keep my basketball shorts on.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

hindes204 09-14-2009 06:16 PM

Kind of off topic, but LLt mentioned Pippen in the last post, so i need to vent about that asshat for a minute. I was stationed in little rock arkansas for a while(hometown of scottie) and i met him one night. We were at a............hmmmm, how do i put this........gentlemens club, and he was a total tool. He was very arogant and refused to speak to anyone, he was too good for us. He demanded that the bouncers stand in front of his table so we could not look at him. He was very loud and abnoxious and kept yelling about how he was scottie pippen, and this was now his club.................hes a total jagoff