Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is it just me. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=38944)

solardave 09-15-2009 03:21 AM

Is it just me.

OK I admit it.Hate is a strong word so let's just say I REALLY don't like the Patriots.
Put that to the side for a minute and here's what bothers me. Last night I saw one guy on defense hold up the return guy while the other guy stripped( actually tore loose is the better word) the ball. Where is the skill in that. This rule needs to be changed. I can see coming up from behind and knocking the ball out. But 2 or 3 guys ganging up on a runner and tearing the ball loose sucks. I liken it to hitting a defenseless receiver.Not only does it require no skill it is not professional. And I would say this no matter which team did it. Even the Steelers. I think it should be a penalty.Like holding. It pisses me off that not only did the officials give them the game by not clling holding on several plays but they allow this crap. Alright I said it. What do you guys think?

fansince'76 09-15-2009 06:30 AM

Re: Is it just me.

If numbnuts would have just taken a knee in the endzone like he should have, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Texasteel 09-15-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 660041)
If numbnuts would have just taken a knee in the endzone like he should have, it wouldn't have been an issue.

And thats the whole story of the game. A well played game spoiled by one dumb play.

When talking about the Pantywaists, hate is NOT to strong of word.

xfl2001fan 09-15-2009 06:47 AM

Having not seen the play in question (just hearing about it from a lot of people)...was forward momentum being stopped not taken into consideration?

The_WARDen 09-15-2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfl2001fan (Post 660045)
Having not seen the play in question (just hearing about it from a lot of people)...was forward momentum being stopped not taken into consideration?

No, there was initial contact but the moron was still fighting for that ever important EXTRA yard.

xfl2001fan 09-15-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_WARDen (Post 660048)
No, there was initial contact but the moron was still fighting for that ever important EXTRA yard.

Thanks! I never understand why "professional" athletes don't have more situational awareness.

solardave 09-15-2009 07:02 AM

You're right that he should have taken a knee but you miss my point. My question is when gang tackling (and I love gang tacking) where is the skill in holding the man up so your team mate can tear it loose? Knocking the ball out tales some timing and skill but mugging the guy tales absolutely no skill. IMO it's a form of holding and should be penalized. Now after thinking about it I DO HATE THE PATRIOTS!

1st&Goal 09-15-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solardave (Post 660054)
You're right that he should have taken a knee but you miss my point. My question is when gang tackling (and I love gang tacking) where is the skill in holding the man up so your team mate can tear it loose? Knocking the ball out tales some timing and skill but mugging the guy tales absolutely no skill. IMO it's a form of holding and should be penalized. Now after thinking about it I DO HATE THE PATRIOTS!

I agree with your observation that this was more a mugging than a tackle. The ball carrier didn't even have the luxury of downing the ball to end the play while he was suspendd above the field, being gang-mugged. Keep in mind though, that sportsmanship means nothing to the cheatriots. Still, I fufrthur agree that that this type of "lets hold the guy up in the air until we strip the ball" kind of play is BS. I wonder why its ok to do this on a special teams play, but what would be the reaction if this happened on a regular play?

If anyone out there knows if there are rules about holding the ball carrier up so as to affect a turnover, please enlighten me. Maybe, this is something the leaue should address.

Indo 09-15-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st&Goal (Post 660115)
I agree with your observation that this was more a mugging than a tackle. The ball carrier didn't even have the luxury of downing the ball to end the play while he was suspendd above the field, being gang-mugged. Keep in mind though, that sportsmanship means nothing to the cheatriots. Still, I fufrthur agree that that this type of "lets hold the guy up in the air until we strip the ball" kind of play is BS. I wonder why its ok to do this on a special teams play, but what would be the reaction if this happened on a regular play?

If anyone out there knows if there are rules about holding the ball carrier up so as to affect a turnover, please enlighten me. Maybe, this is something the leaue should address.

But they NEVER will because it's the Golden Boy's team.

steelreserve 09-15-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 660041)

I bet you $500 that if he took a knee, the ref would've said he actually caught the ball at the one-inch line and backed up into the endzone on his own, and given the Pats a safety.

Anyway, I'm also pretty certain that's why he ran it out. He kind of hesitated for a split-second, looking like he wasn't quite sure whether he caught it over the line or not ... he probably ran it out just so he wouldn't risk it.

Still, come on. Hold on to the f***in' ball.