Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Michael Oher (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39010)

sherlock 09-17-2009 10:01 AM

Michael Oher

I was recommended a book by ElGonzoJackson called `The Blind Side`
It`s main point of interest is Michael Oher,first round pick of the Ravens.
It really is an extrordinary story.
I`ve just watched Chiefs@Ravens and was glued to Oher,almost to the point of being oblivious to what else was going on in the game.
Considering it was his first NFL game he played well,very well.
What intrigued me most is that although he`s called a Right-Tackle he was often switched to the left-side for many plays.
What was the thinking behind this and does it occur very often in AF?
He seemed equally adept on either side in fact.
Go Oher......except when he plays the Steelers of course!

Steel Head 09-17-2009 10:06 AM

Re: Michael Oher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherlock (Post 661160)
What intrigued me most is that although he`s called a Right-Tackle he was often switched to the left-side for many plays.
What was the thinking behind this and does it occur very often in AF?

This is a special formation that Baltimore uses (they used it last year also)

They put both tackles on the left side and have Todd Heap lined up as a tackle on the right side. They usually run out of it. They had great success last year but the Steelers stuffed it

Last week on the goal line, they brought in both their backup tackle (Yanda) and Haloti Ngata as tight ends. Adding them and having McClain as a FB is damn tough to stop

sherlock 09-17-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel Head (Post 661162)
This is a special formation that Baltimore uses (they used it last year also)

They put both tackles on the left side and have Todd Heap lined up as a tackle on the right side. They usually run out of it. They had great success last year but the Steelers stuffed it

Last week on the goal line, they brought in both their backup tackle (Yanda) and Haloti Ngata as tight ends. Adding them and having McClain as a FB is damn tough to stop

Thanks for that Steel Head,It sounds very inventive but as you infer,not Steeler-proof!

El-Gonzo Jackson 09-17-2009 11:33 AM

Sherlock, its their unbalanced line formation. Basically the strategy is overpower your opponent with sheer mass and force.

I hope you enjoyed the book. It really shows the evolution of the LT position from one of obscurity, to now where the LT is often one of the top 3 highest paid player on the field.

The funny thing is in the post script where Oher said as an Ole Miss soph..."I'm ready, I could handle Dwight Freeny right now". Then, when this was told to Freeney he laughed it off until he was told Oher is 6'5-350lbs with the agility of a TE.......then Freeney says " You tell Michael Oher that I'll be waiting for him" and walked away.

El-Gonzo Jackson 09-17-2009 11:36 AM

Ravens play the Colts in week 11........so Dwight Freeney will be waiting for Oher, just like said he would back in 2006.

I cant wait to see that. :thumbsup:

RoethlisBURGHer 09-17-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson (Post 661199)
Ravens play the Colts in week 11........so Dwight Freeney will be waiting for Oher, just like said he would back in 2006.

I cant wait to see that. :thumbsup:

Me neither, it should be a damn good matchup.

sherlock 09-17-2009 12:23 PM

The Chiefs game was the first time I`d seen Oher in the flesh.
For a `man-mountain`,he didn`t seem overly huge,he actually appeared quite svelte for an O-liner!.I guess he`d slimmed down during TC.:noidea:
I really am enjoying the book Gonzo.Thanks for your help in all things O-Line!

El-Gonzo Jackson 09-17-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherlock (Post 661216)
The Chiefs game was the first time I`d seen Oher in the flesh.
For a `man-mountain`,he didn`t seem overly huge,he actually appeared quite svelte for an O-liner!.I guess he`d slimmed down during TC.:noidea:
I really am enjoying the book Gonzo.Thanks for your help in all things O-Line!

Oher was a flabby 350 in the time that book was penned. He officially goes 6'5"-309 now and is pretty much like a lot of O linemen from a size perspective. I saw some preseason of him and he looks like a nasty finisher, but I never was impressed by his run blocking in college at Ole Miss.

I saw Oher on TV work out at the NFL combine and he looked trim for an O lineman and moved like a TE. Really great feet on him. :jawdrop: Still not sure what kind of run blocker he is, but we will see. No problem on the book reference. Cheers.

Say hi to Joshua Tetley for me :wink: