Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Vince Young fills in as dad for Steve McNair's sons (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39023)

SteelTalons 09-17-2009 07:10 PM

Vince Young fills in as dad for Steve McNair's sons

As a kid, Titans quarterback Vince Young looked up to Steve McNair.

On Wednesday, McNair's two young sons looked to Young as their father figure.
As part of "Dear Dads Breakfast" at St. Paul Christian Academy, Young surprised the children when he showed up at their house early Wednesday and took them to the Pancake Pantry.
Other students and their fathers also accompanied Young and McNair's children, Trenton and Tyler.
McNair was shot and killed July 4.
"It was a great, great gesture,'' said Julie Dilworth, admissions director at the school. "All the kids had been talking about the dads' breakfast and (Trenton and Tyler) were wondering what was going to happen with them.
"They were thrilled the boys came to school with huge smiles on their faces.''
Even before McNair quarterbacked the Titans from 1995-2005, he was close to Young. They met through McNair's uncle, Young attended McNair's football camps as a youngster, and he even called the elder quarterback "Pops."
At McNair's funeral in Hattiesburg, Miss., Young looked into the crowd and told 11-year-old Trenton and 5-year-old Tyler they could count on him. The children also visited training camp at Baptist Sports Park as Young's guests.
"Those are my boys,'' Young said Wednesday. "I wouldn't say it was to pay anyone back; it was just out of love. Steve would do it for me. He pretty much did it for me when I was growing up. I have a history with the boys and I want to do anything I can. I am their big brother.''
Young gave jerseys and autographs to several St. Paul children. The breakfast is usually held on the school's campus in Green Hills, Dilworth said, but because of construction the students were given permission to dine elsewhere and arrive at school later than normal.
St. Paul has 401 students in grades ranging from junior kindergarten to sixth grade.
"It was a surprise, and just to see the excitement on their faces, it's a great feeling,'' Young said. "We had a good time eating pancakes. I had an omelet.
"Overall they are doing cool, doing good. Just talking to their mom, I think they are going to be all right. I am always going to be here for them, always.''

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...+McNair+s+sons

stillers4me 09-17-2009 07:13 PM

Re: Vince Young fills in as dad for Steve McNair's sons

Wow. Now that's a great story. Props to VY.

Preacher 09-17-2009 07:22 PM

Gotta admit, I was a bit skeptical when I began reading this story.

But good for him. THAT is the kind of maturity that will get him through life.

I agree, props to VY.

Edman 09-17-2009 07:44 PM

Yes, VY deserves props. Hopefully he can mature and become a better person.

Christian Snyder 09-17-2009 08:00 PM

Props to Young.:thumbsup:

tony hipchest 09-17-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edman (Post 661398)
Yes, VY deserves props. Hopefully he can mature and become a better person.

ive never seen anything that says he is a bad person. a bad football player? maybe? immature? yes.

but as he said, his acts towards steves kids had alot more to do with love than maturity.

to quote forrest gump-

I may not be a smart man, but i know what love iiiis.

RoethlisBURGHer 09-17-2009 10:45 PM

Wow, that's cool. I feel so bad for McNair's kids, I am glad VY is there for him.

stlrtruck 09-18-2009 07:56 AM

Props to VY too.

Maybe these two children can get help him get his mentality together to play this game better than he has.

Bonus for everyone involved!