Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Miami's Wildcat Formation (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39189)

BlastFurnace 09-21-2009 09:45 PM

Miami's Wildcat Formation

Anyone watching this? They run this Wildcat to perfection. It helps that they have Dallas's old OL coach as their HC (Sporano). They are blowing Indy's D'line completely off the ball. Brown, Williams, and Cobbs are running all over them in this formation.

tony hipchest 09-21-2009 09:59 PM

Re: Miami's Wildcat Formation

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlastFurnace (Post 664663)
Anyone watching this? .

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39186

i guess 4 of us are.

Crow-Magnon 09-22-2009 08:07 AM

The Fins lost (DY Manning!), but their Wildcat was awesome last night. How do you control the ball for FORTY-FIVE MINUTES and still lose?

KeiselPower99 09-22-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon (Post 664798)
The Fins lost (DY Manning!), but their Wildcat was awesome last night. How do you control the ball for FORTY-FIVE MINUTES and still lose?

Shitty secondary

El-Gonzo Jackson 09-22-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon (Post 664798)

By relying on a gadget offense for the bulk of your yardage.

This SOOOOO much reminds me of the "run and shoot". Everybody was talking about the high powered Oilers offense with Warren Moon. They could move the ball and score on big plays, but werent productive in the red zone.

klick81 09-22-2009 10:51 AM

This "gadget" offense seemed to average about 4 yards per play and milked the clock. I wouldn't say that was the problem.

As already mentioned, a porous secondary looks to be the culprit here. How can it NOT be when your opponent only has the ball for 15 mins and still manages to put up 27 points?

fansince'76 09-22-2009 10:56 AM

A good run D (read: not Indy's) will shut it down. Everybody (except us last year) can run on Indy.

steelreserve 09-22-2009 12:31 PM

I think the wildcat works for Miami because they just run it a lot better than anyone else. They've got good personnel for it and they obviously practice it a lot. Other teams try to copy it and end up doing it half-assed, so it gets the same results as any other harebrained scheme. I mean, come on? Parker running the wildcat with our offense last year, in a singleback formation? Not a very good setup.

One more thing I noticed with Miami: They ran just about every snap like it was not only the wildcat, but it might also be a trick play on top of that. They did a much better job selling that than most teams I've seen. Most of the imitators just put a running back behind center and expect the defense to go "OMG, A DIRECT SNAP! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!" which, of course, they don't. But varying the plays and creating confusion got the Dolphins a lot of yards.

Anyway ... yes, most defenses are going to be all over the wildcat when most teams try it. It might still get some decent results for Miami, though.

fansince'76 09-22-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelreserve (Post 664940)
I think the wildcat works for Miami because they just run it a lot better than anyone else. They've got good personnel for it and they obviously practice it a lot. Other teams try to copy it and end up doing it half-assed, so it gets the same results as any other harebrained scheme. I mean, come on? Parker running the wildcat with our offense last year, in a singleback formation? Not a very good setup.

One more thing I noticed with Miami: They ran just about every snap like it was not only the wildcat, but it might also be a trick play on top of that. They did a much better job selling that than most teams I've seen. Most of the imitators just put a running back behind center and expect the defense to go "OMG, A DIRECT SNAP! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!" which, of course, they don't. But varying the plays and creating confusion got the Dolphins a lot of yards.

Anyway ... yes, most defenses are going to be all over the wildcat when most teams try it. It might still get some decent results for Miami, though.

I fail to see what it's gotten them besides an 0-2 record. They went down 27-23 with 2 minutes and some change and looked absolutely lost trying to run a 2-minute offense and managed the clock like a Pop Warner team - for a minute there I thought Holmgren replaced Sparano as their HC. Maybe they are making trickery and the Wildcat the focal point of their practices on offense, because they're obviously not practicing the 2-minute drill, that's for sure.

RoethlisBURGHer 09-22-2009 12:53 PM

While Miami's Wildcat is exciting, I think it has become more of their main offensive scheme.

In the NFL, that stuff doesn't work as your main offensive scheme. I don't think they believe that they can run a normal offense with Pennington, yet he looked like he had decent arm strength with his bomb to Ginn in the endzone,

And I agree, a good run defense will stop the Wildcat from being so effective. If you stay in your gaps and play it like a regular run, you're fine.