Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   even the coach bashes russell (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39301)

Big D 09-25-2009 04:52 PM

even the coach bashes russell

why cant we just put the raiders in the ufl?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry/rumor-mill/

In a surprisingly candid assessment of a third-year quarterback who was the first overall pick in the 2007 draft, Raiders passing game coordinator Ted Tollner said Thursday that quarterback JaMarcus Russell is regressing.

"That's an accurate assessment because we really felt like we were making some real strides and the area was anticipation and turning the ball loose and trusting," Tollner told the media, per Nancy Gay of FanHouse. "Are [the passes] going to be where they belong? Can I turn it loose when the coaches want me, or do I have to wait and use my big arm? We were making some real strides along those lines because you have to at this level. . . .

"You can't wait till people are open," Tollner said. "We made strides and last week we fell back in all those areas. That's disappointing to all of us and we've got to get back on track. The answer? I don't have the answer other than what I just said. It's a number of things that happen and there has been a major emphasis on him, on JaMarcus, we've got to give [him] a foot rhythm that allows [him] to turn the ball loose on time and [he needs] to buy into that.

"And he has, to repeat myself -- we were making strides and -- bam -- we stepped back, and I don't have the answer other than what I already said."

The candor from Tollner is stunning. But since the Raiders don't have a viable candidate on the roster to push Russell to get better, they need to do something to get the kid on track.

Whether calling Russell out gets it down remains to be seen.

But, let's face it. He can't get much worse. Through two games, Russell's passer rating is 46.6. He has completed less than 36 percent of his passes.

Still, there's cause for hope. Late in both games, Russell led his team to go-ahead scores. Eventually, the light that comes on when the game is on the line might activate at some point during the first three and a half quarters of the game.

steelreserve 09-25-2009 05:40 PM

Re: even the coach bashes russell

Russell really seems like he's too dense to run an NFL offense. It's like as soon as he senses the tiniest bit of pressure, everything they worked on in practice goes out the window, both mechanically and mentally.

It's a good thing he held out for so much on his rookie contract, because he's sure as hell never seeing that kind of money again.

devilsdancefloor 09-25-2009 06:52 PM

kind of feel for guys like russell. So damn good at every level except pro ( at least so far)

SteelTalons 09-25-2009 07:02 PM

As soon as I said if I was a GM for an expansion team this has to be pop up... :footinmou

Ughhhh... Its hard to know whats going on with Russell he shows promise and then kills it the next week. To his credit that is more than a lot of busts have done but these past two weeks he's been giving Ryan Leaf a run for his money...

EDIT: To his credit, at least Russell's a nice guy and mature about things, Leaf was just a brat.

Edman 09-25-2009 07:21 PM

To quote Fansince'76, a bigger, fatter, Kordell Stewart.

silver & black 09-27-2009 02:51 PM

The Russell experiment will be over at the end of this season... if he doesn't soon show he can at least be a consistent, average QB. The Raiders are a mediocre QB away from winning consistently again. Too bad JR can't even muster up a little mediocrity.

Shellshock 09-27-2009 02:55 PM

Davis will never admit defeat on his pick.

silver & black 09-27-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellshock (Post 666991)
Davis will never admit defeat on his pick.

I wouldn't be too sure about that one. Davis never liked taking QB's in the draft. He always prefered to sign vets. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Russell on the trading block next year (if he doesn't shape up this year) or sitting on the bench behind a vet next year. QB is the difference between winning and losing in Oakland now. I can't see Al throwing away a shot at winning the division and a possibble playoff berth because of an inept QB... no matter how much money he gets paid.

Who knows... maybe Russell will finally "get it" this year and it will all work out... but I won't hold my breath.:shake01:

Godfather 09-27-2009 08:11 PM

I don't think JR will ever justify being the #1 pick but on the right team he could be a Testaverde/George type quarterback.

Not sure why he took a step back. He was showing a lot of upside at the end of last year. I like JR and hope he turns it around.

silver & black 09-27-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 668720)
I don't think JR will ever justify being the #1 pick but on the right team he could be a Testaverde/George type quarterback.

Not sure why he took a step back. He was showing a lot of upside at the end of last year. I like JR and hope he turns it around.

JR was not ready for the NFL, and he still isn't. I never wanted him, and I still don't. Today's game against Denver just substantiated my feelings about him. BUST!